Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was very underwhelmed by the Tetons float trip (although we did see a grizzly - from the van). We had already been through Custer and Yellowstone, so seeing elk and eagles wasn't really a stand-out. The trip was pleasant and the kids enjoyed it, but if I had it to do over again I'd rent a canoe from Jenny Lake or Signal Mountain and get our water fix on the lake instead (for far less $$$).

ETA: We stayed in a cabin at Signal Mountain and were very happy. It's a cabin though, the folks next door seemed to think they were renting the Ritz and were disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by andie16 View Post
    Thanks for the helpful info! I do have lodging reservations for Yellowstone, but not for Grand Teton as that doesn't open until a little later. Also still debating if we want to stay in GTNP or stay in Teton Village or Jackson.

I guess it does make sense to just make a reservation for the horseback riding/cookout and any other activities we are considering and then cancel if needed/as plans evolve.
    I would stay at Dornan's in Moose--cabins in a nice setting. Teton Village is really out of the way. It's a nice spot, but a drive to anything else. We stayed in a 2 BR suite at the Virginian and it was a good base. Lodging in Jackson is really pricey.

You could also just count on hiking vs. a horseback ride or cookout. You control the schedule and you can stop as you want, etc. Just getting off the main road in Yellowstone is a great experience. Within a mile, you will be out of the crowds. It's really nice.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Teton village is great, not out of the way at all for GTNP, less than 5 minutes from a park entrance and that road is chock full of wildlife, we frequently saw the wildlife tours parked along it. Maybe a ten minute drive to Dornan’s.

The advantage is that the village offers a ton of restaurants, a food market, some cool stores, an awesome aerial course, and ski lifts which many used to get them to starting points for hikes on the mountain, all within walking distance. Our condo also came with a membership to one of the indoor hotel pools. We took the ski lift to the very top of the mountain and ate at a great restaurant there.

The whole area is just so beautiful, you really can’t go wrong.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’m with StantonHyde on this one. Teton Village is lovely, but it’s a slow going 9 mile road that isn’t paved everywhere to get to the most southerly visitor center in the park. Or you can take the longer route and head south to Jackson and then back north to GTNP on highways. It’s fine if that’s what you want and you know going in, but I think that’s what’s meant by it being out of the way. We loved staying at Colter Bay Village. We stayed in an RV so I can’t speak to the cabins. One of my favorite places on earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    I’m with StantonHyde on this one. Teton Village is lovely, but it’s a slow going 9 mile road that isn’t paved everywhere to get to the most southerly visitor center in the park. Or you can take the longer route and head south to Jackson and then back north to GTNP on highways. It’s fine if that’s what you want and you know going in, but I think that’s what’s meant by it being out of the way. We loved staying at Colter Bay Village. We stayed in an RV so I can’t speak to the cabins. One of my favorite places on earth.

Not sure what you mean, the road we took was paved throughout and not particularly slow. Perhaps it was unpaved at one time(?), but it is now. We never had to backtrack to Jackson to get anywhere, I agree that would be very inefficient.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Maybe it’s been paved. This is what I’m referring to. We didn’t actually take it 2 years ago because we understood it to not be paved and we were in an RV.

https://exploregtnp.com/driving-the-...before-you-go/

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    Maybe it’s been paved. This is what I’m referring to. We didn’t actually take it 2 years ago because we understood it to not be paved and we were in an RV.

https://exploregtnp.com/driving-the-...before-you-go/

I think that is the same road-- the road we drove from Teton Village to Dornans and the park was definitely fully paved and no more than a 10 minute drive to Dornans (the entrance to the park is within a mile, maybe less of Teton Village). We drove it many times while we were there two summers ago. It was maybe 20 to 25 minutes to the ranger station at Jenny Lake.

I like the town of Jackson and enjoy being there to eat, walk around, etc.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    I like the town of Jackson and enjoy being there to eat, walk around, etc.
    Agree, we spent 3 nights there as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2