Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Tenasparkl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It took me a response or two to realize that you didn’t mean a class where they learn to use an avid for editing - I had now idea that it was also the name of a program for kids, oops!

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm going to talk to the counselor. I'm so confused by DS and what he needs. And he's no help at all. He just wants to do whatever I tell him, lol. I really can't tell whether this program would be a really good thing for him or a bit of a waste of time and his time is very precious!

Given what you’ve posted about your son in the past, the course as others have described here sounds perfect for him. Between his ADHD and diabetes, you’ve described him as needing slot of “scaffolding. It seems an class that would help him with general study skills/organization and help him break down the overwhelming number of tasks associated with college apps would be a huge benefit. Is it something the counselor recommended for him?

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I'm going to talk to the counselor. I'm so confused by DS and what he needs. And he's no help at all. He just wants to do whatever I tell him, lol. I really can't tell whether this program would be a really good thing for him or a bit of a waste of time and his time is very precious!
    He needs to be able to make decisions for himself and not rely on what his parents want him to do, which is sounding like what has happened and he is comfortable with that. That is probably part of his adhd symptoms though.....not being able to make a decision on his own, but I really think he needs to start making decisions on his own. Tell him to make an appointment or you make the appointment with the counselor and take him there, but have him visit with the counselor alone and then ask him for the program details. If you still have questions then you can call the counselor. I really think even though he is only an incoming sophomore in high school he needs to start learning how to make decisions on his own and having him investigate this class and whether or not he may need it might be a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    He needs to be able to make decisions for himself and not rely on what his parents want him to do, which is sounding like what has happened and he is comfortable with that. That is probably part of his adhd symptoms though.....not being able to make a decision on his own, but I really think he needs to start making decisions on his own. Tell him to make an appointment or you make the appointment with the counselor and take him there, but have him visit with the counselor alone and then ask him for the program details. If you still have questions then you can call the counselor. I really think even though he is only an incoming sophomore in high school he needs to start learning how to make decisions on his own and having him investigate this class and whether or not he may need it might be a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I really agree with this. I know he has certain issues that make you think you have to be really involved but at some point he needs to make these (relatively small) decisions. I did weigh in on my ds1's schedule but he's the one who talks to his teacher, counselor,... I think that's how it should be for a high schooler regardless of what special needs they have. The consequences of this decision just aren't dire- it's worth letting him sort out.

As to the schedule annoyance with extra downtime at school- I think that's extremely useful both for getting homework down and socializing. With you driving him to and from school and him not being in any sports or extras at school (from the sounds of it), does he really get a chance to build friendships at school? Mine loves his downtime at school between activities. Also, you say he does best when he has more free time but has he tried extracurriculars at school? My ds's grades are best when he has swim team followed by musical- and he's gone from 6:40am til 10pm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2