JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Can Amazon Kindle Unlimited be used on more than one device?

I see that you can get 3 months of Amazon Kindle Unlimited free as a part of prime day (maybe only for Prime members, not sure but I am a member). This is great timing for our trip.

My question is--do I need to download on the device I would be using it on only? Can it work on 2-3 devices either at different or the same times (mine and my kids)? Oh, or do I just download books and then can use as wanted? If that is the case, can I do this on more than one device?

Thanks!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Yes. Unfortunately the smutty books I check out from Kindle Unlimited also show up on my 3yo's Kindle fire. (They are linked through my Amazon account.) He doesn't really pay any attention to it but I really need to figure out a way to stop it. You send it to where you want it downloaded (in my case I send it to my paperwhite, but it still shows up on my kids' fires, too.) There is also the option to "send to another (additional) device" (I assume Amazon devices) when you check it out, I don't think there's really a limit.
    Last edited by AngB; 07-13-2019 at 04:02 PM.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, you can have them downloaded on as many kindle devices/apps as you have registered on your account, same as any other kindle book you buy/borrow from the library. They will whisper sync as well, so if more than one person will be reading the same device simultaneously, you should turn off whispersync. Personally, I keep my paperwhite in airplane mode unless I am actively downloading a book - saves battery life and lets you keep library books indefinitely.

You can have 10 books out at once.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    Yes. Unfortunately the smutty books I check out from Kindle Unlimited also show up on my 3yo's Kindle fire. (They are linked through my Amazon account.) He doesn't really pay any attention to it but I really need to figure out a way to stop it. You send it to where you want it downloaded (in my case I send it to my paperwhite, but it still shows up on my kids' fires, too.) There is also the option to "send to another (additional) device" (I assume Amazon devices) when you check it out, I don't think there's really a limit.
    You can use kids freetime to set up sub accts - they are not really accounts but allow you to designate books and apps by kid. The downside is that is sucks up app space ANDthen you need to assign content to kids. So if the kids borrow a book from the library, I then have to go into manage my kindle and 'allow' them to see it. Its an extra step that means my kids are more apt to get paper books rather than digital. My recommendation is to have 1 kid acct only per device - that helps on the storage issue.

ETA be sure you're signing up for the "Free" kindle freetime portion only if that is what you want. Its a little misleading and they try to get you to do the pay portion
    Last edited by doberbrat; 07-13-2019 at 05:34 PM.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

they show up on my iPad I don't even know where my kindle is at this point. I have my iPad set as my primary Each device has a different kindle email address You can actually email mobi content into your kindle if you want
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Thanks, for my purposes that is good news!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You can go on your computer and go through Amazon to control where your books go so they don’t need to go on your kids kindles. You can turn off sharing.

The 3 months free is only for new members, right? I am already a member, is there a link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    You can go on your computer and go through Amazon to control where your books go so they don’t need to go on your kids kindles. You can turn off sharing.

The 3 months free is only for new members, right? I am already a member, is there a link?

Different articles have links you can click on. Here is one such link, and I think it would work. However, takes me to my amazon login, so I dont think it will work if you have kindle unlimited already. I am not sure if you mean you are already Amazon prime member (which you have to be and dont have to be a new member) or if you have kindle unlimited.

Kindle Unlimited, first 3 months free (originally $29.97) [You save $29.97]

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Different articles have links you can click on. Here is one such link, and I think it would work. However, takes me to my amazon login, so I dont think it will work if you have kindle unlimited already. I am not sure if you mean you are already Amazon prime member (which you have to be and dont have to be a new member) or if you have kindle unlimited.

Kindle Unlimited, first 3 months free (originally $29.97) [You save $29.97]

I already have Kindle Unlimited and have Prime so it doesn’t look like it will work....I will just have to wait for the Black Friday deal where you can buy months at a discount then.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 07-14-2019 at 03:36 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)