Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bathroom Ideas

Default Bathroom Ideas

woo hhoooo! We are on the last phase of remodeling our house--the kids' bathroom and the master. Kids bathroom is an easy gut and redo--nothing custom. Need ideas on a one sink vanity and tile. Not a super small bathroom but not big either. Has a tub/shower combo, toilet, one sink vanity. For master-not huge, not small. Need ideas on tile, 2 sink vanities. We will be redoing the closet--the closet designer will be a big help there. Contractor wants to do heated floors??

Any lessons/ideas you would pass on from bathroom remodels?? TIA!!

Oh--blogs/websites with bathroom ideas please!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I assume you’ve done Houzz and Pinterest for inspiration?
    We had a good time talking with a sales person at a high end bathroom design store. At the end of the day, we didn’t use her design but we got inspiration from talking to her. She had us think of things we hadn’t considered. We ultimately found a great tile store and self designed. The bathroom is gutted at the moment with tile going in on Tuesday. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Add extra outlets in the planning phase. I’m adding outlets in the cabinets so we can leave the hair dryer and toothbrush charger plugged and out of the way.

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

During our Master Bath reno, our guy put the lights on dimmers, which is really nice. In the mornings, the lights don;t have to be crazy bright. ETA: i had him add outlets under the sinks, so we can keep toothbrushes, etc, plugged in under there and they're not sitting on the counter cluttering it up.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Depends on so many things! What's your style? Your home's style? Is it your forever home? We've renovated a master bath and are just about to do the 2 secondary baths (kids and guest bath) and I created mood boards on Pinterest. But you really need to know the style you're going for first. Our rule of thumb is to always consider resale, even in a forever home, and we try to stick with something more timeless for the things that are big (master bath) but take a little more risk for the smaller baths (guest and kids). For a forever home you can be a little more spendy in finishes, I think. My opinion also is to not deviate too much from your home's style since a lot of that can't be changed. We have a traditional brick home but oddly it has cape cod lines (lots of symmetry, dormers, etc). In other words I wouldn't try to force a farmhouse look onto a MCM home. I do think you CAN incorporate bits of style that you like, you just have to do it judiciously - so if you like farmhouse (for example) incorporating a rustic storage basket into an MCM home would work.

For us, for the master bath we wanted modern traditional for resale and went with a carrera quartz counter, white shaker vanity with drawers, rectangular sinks, cool faucets that are single hole but with 2 levers, dove gray shower tile in a more modern 3 by 12 size with marble hex accents in a linear (long, horizontal) shower cubby, wood-look tile in a very light color, a clawfoot tub (my FAVORITE) surrounded by a custom wainscot that doesn't look like everything else out there, and a modern barn door made of smooth maple painted NAVY! with an integrated mirror. I LOVE our master bath and it makes me swoon every time I walk in. We chose polished nickel for many of the accessories (hooks, drawer pulls) and I have to say that has been my favorite finish so far. Chrome is timeless but cold. Polished nickel is shiny/silver but WARM. It's awesome and would tie into cool or warm colors easily. If you like the gold trend but aren't ready to dive full-in, then do polished nickel! I also think it's timeless.

For the guest and kids' bath, we decided on a black-and-white modern/retro/cottage with a patterned black and white tile that looks like concrete tile for the guest bath, and a hex mosaic (white with black "flowers") for the kids' bath. We are sticking to "safe but modern" and chose subway tile in a larger format, so not the traditional 3 by 6. We went with a clean white flat glossy 4 by 16 for the guest bath and a white glossy "handmade" (so has a hand-crafted feel) 4 by 16 for the girls' bath. Guest bath vanity will have a carrera-like quartz and kids bathroom will have a simple white quartz counter. We are keeping the existing vanities and I will just put a fresh coat of paint on. We plan to add color and texture with wood (picture frames or wood-framed mirrors) and fabric (texture-y shower curtains, woven wood roller shades, bath rug). For the girls' bath since they have 2 separate (small) sink areas, I'm going to do a wallpaper-like tonal stencil (something very subtle - cream on white or taupe on white) just in the vanity areas and will choose mirrors with a shape (oval or other shape). Both baths will have some black accessory to ground everything (our designer says there needs to be something black in every bathroom). For the master, it's a cool piece of art. For the kids' bath, I might choose vanity lighting with black hardware, or a mirror framed in black (but not a heavy frame - if I go this route it will be something like an oval mirror with thin black metal edge). I'd also like to incorporate a little gold in the girls' bath.

Every bath needs something green. We are SO not plant people but a good faux plant, even just 2-3 small ones on the windowsill, make a difference. IKEA for faux potted plants and cactus too!

Anyway, have fun with it - I LOVE doing this kind of stuff!! Too bad it all costs money!!
    Last edited by twowhat?; 07-14-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks so much for helping me start. I love the results but I hate the inconvenience of going without a bathroom and the whole picking colors part is hard for us. ack. We have a brick ranch style house--one level above ground the other below with a walk out basement. The look is pretty classic with a little Arts and Crafts feel. I will probably do a light green in the master bed and bath. Going for a shower, no tub, double sink vanity, and then will reconfigure the closet with a closet designer. For the kids--it is small--a regular tub/shower combo, toilet and one sink vanity. The don't want the green that is there now, so maybe we will go with white. Not sure. This is our forever house and we don't really care about resale. By the time we sell it, it will probably need to be remodeled again! I will have to hit Pinterest. That can be hard too, i get overwhelmed. oh well, the kids bath gets done this fall and the master will start in February next year. So I have time.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Bathroom Ideas

We have lights by vanity on a sensor so turns on when you walk in and turns off a little after you leave. The recess lights are on a switch. We have a recessed light in shower area. We went with a large shower with a bench - big enough for 2 people. Overhead rain head and then a handheld bar nozzle, so we both get water at same time.
    We got our double vanity from Signature Hardware
    https://www.signaturehardware.com/

Our designer had used them before. We love our vanity. The sink had a crack in the drain and customer service asked for photos and sent out replacement sink. Packaging was very good, massive box, so the crack wasn’t shipping damage but flaw when made.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 07-14-2019 at 07:45 PM.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I forgot to say one thing - it's worth taking the Modsy quiz. You don't have to provide your contact info (you can opt out and just get the quiz results) but for me it was pretty accurate - it will at least put some words to your style which makes it much easier to search Pinterest, and then really just start pinning looks that you like. Searches like "small black and white bathroom" and similar will give you plenty of looks to peruse. Just remember that you don't have to get overwhelmed because there is a LOT out there and there's absolutely no need to look at them all - you just need to pick a handful of things to guide you.

FWIW, I think small bathrooms deserve just as much attention to design detail!

https://www.modsy.com/stylequiz/room

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We got a small marble mosaic for our master shower floor and the rest of the floor. All that white grout is constantly trying to get moldy. We cannot stay ahead of it, and I wish there were no grout lines. And go for the more expensive glass doors. We got semi whatever and they have a ton of chrome on them still. For walls, I just like plain white squares in a brick pattern. Did it in my 2003 house and it still looked fresh when we sold it in 2018.

elbenn is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We just stayed at a hotel that had a walk-in shower that was rectangular and it really made me wonder how difficult it would be to replace a tub with a walk in shower. The shower had a glass wall with a walk-in on the end (there was no door for the walk-in but I assume a smaller area would need a door). Anyway, the shape of this shower made me think it could be a replacement for a tub/shower and it's made me start thinking about whether this can be easily done.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast