Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bathroom Ideas

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    We just stayed at a hotel that had a walk-in shower that was rectangular and it really made me wonder how difficult it would be to replace a tub with a walk in shower. The shower had a glass wall with a walk-in on the end (there was no door for the walk-in but I assume a smaller area would need a door). Anyway, the shape of this shower made me think it could be a replacement for a tub/shower and it's made me start thinking about whether this can be easily done.
    We’re doing this in one of our bathrooms. They remove the tub and replace with a shower pan then tile. We were able to add a few inches width to our shower footprint.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We just stayed at a hotel that had a walk-in shower that was rectangular and it really made me wonder how difficult it would be to replace a tub with a walk in shower. The shower had a glass wall with a walk-in on the end (there was no door for the walk-in but I assume a smaller area would need a door). Anyway, the shape of this shower made me think it could be a replacement for a tub/shower and it's made me start thinking about whether this can be easily done.
    We're debating that choice in a bathroom we are putting in. Granted, it's in out basement so that could be a factor but he said that for a walk in shower they have to jackhammer out some of the floor first. A tub is a lot cheaper, as a result. So, you can do it but be prepared that you might also have to redo the flooring.

We have to keep the rub in the kids bathroom-it’s the only rub in the house. Off to take the modsy quiz...
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    We're debating that choice in a bathroom we are putting in. Granted, it's in out basement so that could be a factor but he said that for a walk in shower they have to jackhammer out some of the floor first. A tub is a lot cheaper, as a result. So, you can do it but be prepared that you might also have to redo the flooring.
    The bathroom is on the second floor. I know the cost would probably not be cheap but I wonder if it's possible in a second floor bathroom.

Default Bathroom Ideas

The bathroom is on the second floor. I know the cost would probably not be cheap but I wonder if it's possible in a second floor bathroom.
    Yes, the bathrooms we are redoing are on the second floor. We completely gutted both bathrooms though.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Yes, the bathrooms we are redoing are on the second floor. We completely gutted both bathrooms though.

Do you mind sharing the ballpark cost for the shower redo? We wouldn't need to redo anything else (sinks, vanity, etc.). So it would be removal of tub, putting in a new shower with glass doors (I know they are crazy expensive since we recently redid a different shower), and new faucet (something fancy like at this hotel would be awesome--separate controls for temperature and for water power).

Do you mind sharing the ballpark cost for the shower redo? We wouldn't need to redo anything else (sinks, vanity, etc.). So it would be removal of tub, putting in a new shower with glass doors (I know they are crazy expensive since we recently redid a different shower), and new faucet (something fancy like at this hotel would be awesome--separate controls for temperature and for water power).
    I don’t have cost breakdown for just the tear out. I think It took 2.5 days to gut both bathrooms so maybe estimate a day of labor plus the cost of new shower and fixtures? You might not want to remove the tub if you’re not replacing the flooring.

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I don’t have cost breakdown for just the tear out. I think It took 2.5 days to gut both bathrooms so maybe estimate a day of labor plus the cost of new shower and fixtures? You might not want to remove the tub if you’re not replacing the flooring.
    We got a quote of 15k for an entire bathroom redo which I thought was overpriced but that is what they told us
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    We got a quote of 15k for an entire bathroom redo which I thought was overpriced but that is what they told us
    In our area it’s about 20k, so 15 sounds good. Friends did their bathroom for 12k a few years back but it was all unpermitted and it took awhile as done between other jobs.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    We have $12k-$15k set aside for our tiny, very simple full bath gut job reno, so that sounds about right.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast