erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Welcome gift for new neighbor?

The house next to ours sold (new owners took occupancy) June 1st. The father was in town for work but living in temp housing while some work was done on it. The family moved in July 1st. Our driveways face each other so I've seen/chatted with him a few times, but haven't met his wife yet. I've learned that a 24 year old daughter and 10 year old son will be living there, together with parents.

We haven't had many neighbors move in / I haven't done 'welcome gifts' but if it's still done, feel like I should do it here. Of course it's already two weeks later and I've done nothing - I've been swamped at work and this just hasn't made it up the list.

So - do you do something in your neighborhood? If so, what? The next couple days at work will be crazy, and we leave on vacation Thursday. If there's an alternative to 'baking something' I'm much more likely to do that.

Help please!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We've done many things in the past... a favorite was a pack of coupons for local restaurants we like. We never use our printed phone book, so we've given that away. When i was a kid, we were a military family, and the welcome group often sent a map with things marked... local parks, schools, hospital, peds office, grocery store, drug store/pharmacy,ect.. that was a blessing! (My mother got heavily involved in this when we got transferred to Minot, North Dakota - in January. Traveling from... Hawaii. We had no coats, boots, snow pants, gloves, hats... and most stores had their summer stuff out already. My little brother - three at the time - didn't even have shoes that fit until we found out we were leaving. The welcome group found outerwear for all of us; I've never forgotten.)

Only had to do it twice so not sure what the norm is. I've left a box of individually wrapped candies from a local candy making store with a card with all our names, my cell #, and the name of the neighborhood page. I may have included ages of little ones as I could tell they had kids of similar ages. When we moved in, I remember a few people bringing pastries and other stuff bought from local stores, but hated that I did not commit the people's names to memory. And then it took me a couple of years to know our neighborhood even had a page. So I guess I think those "connecting" things people can use to connect to the neighborhood are more important than the token.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

When our new neighbors moved in we went over with a plate of Christmas cookies (it was Dec 27th). I had seen them with a bottle of wine unloading groceries so I brought a bottle over too. I also wrote our name and numbers, and the names of the other on our end of the cul as sac (there are 5 houses on the circle). We've been close friends ever since, that bottle was the first of many shared!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk