Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Acadia NP trip - soon and nothing is planned

We are going to Acadia in a couple weeks and I have a hotel for 3 nights and that is it! I have nothing else planned out at all. Anyone want to throw out some must sees or a rough itinerary for me? I intend to get something together this week, but I keep saying that and then it doesn't happen.

We are coming in from southern NH on a Tuesday and staying to Friday. Leaving going to Lincoln NH, but can get there later in the day. Kids are 11, 13, 15. DH and I have been there, but it's been nearly 20 years. I just don't remember enough of it. We are staying in Bar Harbor.

I know we aren't interested in whale watching trips. Other than that, we don't have anything on our todo or not todo lists.
    Kris

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    We are going to Acadia in a couple weeks and I have a hotel for 3 nights and that is it! I have nothing else planned out at all. Anyone want to throw out some must sees or a rough itinerary for me? I intend to get something together this week, but I keep saying that and then it doesn't happen.

We are coming in from southern NH on a Tuesday and staying to Friday. Leaving going to Lincoln NH, but can get there later in the day. Kids are 11, 13, 15. DH and I have been there, but it's been nearly 20 years. I just don't remember enough of it. We are staying in Bar Harbor.

I know we aren't interested in whale watching trips. Other than that, we don't have anything on our todo or not todo lists.
    Oh, you will have a great time! You don’t need to plan much. The kids are perfect ages for hiking. There is a bus that is free that takes you to the main points.http://exploreacadia.com
    The Town is wicked cute and perfect size for walking around for 3 days. Honestly, I wouldn’t do the whale watch if you are their for 3 days, because there is plenty to do without blowing your whole day on it.
    We went there for 3 days last June, it was great. Here is a website that breakdowns the specific areas for hikes.
    https://thetrek.co/best-acadia-national-park/
    I’m partial to a hike that includes Sargent and Penobscot.
    https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/m...ain-loop-trail
    I would try to have a list of a few hikes you might be interested in before you go and pick the day of.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

With any National Park, be sure and check the programs offered by the rangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Following, because I think we are doing Acadia for a similar length of time this fall!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Have the popovers at Jordan Pond! The rest of the food was good but we really loved the popovers. We put our names on the list when we arrived then we did a hike and ate afterwards.

We also did the Stars over Sand Beach program. It was really fun and my kids still talk about it.

ETA: We loved Diver Ed and Pirate’s Cove mini golf!
    Last edited by jgenie; 07-14-2019 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    Oh, you will have a great time! You don’t need to plan much. The kids are perfect ages for hiking. There is a bus that is free that takes you to the main points.http://exploreacadia.com
    The Town is wicked cute and perfect size for walking around for 3 days. Honestly, I wouldn’t do the whale watch if you are their for 3 days, because there is plenty to do without blowing your whole day on it.
    We went there for 3 days last June, it was great. Here is a website that breakdowns the specific areas for hikes.
    https://thetrek.co/best-acadia-national-park/
    I’m partial to a hike that includes Sargent and Penobscot.
    https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/m...ain-loop-trail
    I would try to have a list of a few hikes you might be interested in before you go and pick the day of.
    Thanks for the links! The bus should work well - how crowded is it I wonder?

I'll read through the hikes and make the list. That will be good.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    With any National Park, be sure and check the programs offered by the rangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    Following, because I think we are doing Acadia for a similar length of time this fall!
    I'll look both those up too. I know about the ranger programs, but totally forgot to look them up for this. I'm so behind.
    Kris

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I know there are past threads about Acadia because we went 2 years ago, and are actually going again later this summer but I haven't planned anything yet either. But, I do have my notes saved from 2 years ago. I think these are copy-pasted from old threads, but they could also be from TripAdvisor or emails from friends who have been there.

Looking over this list, we did Ed's Dive-in theater (awesome for kids), walked the land bridge to Bar Island, biked the carriage trails, and did a lot of hiking. It was all fantastic and we felt like there was so much more we could have done (hence the return trip this year!)

Really, it's ok to just grab the park map and info about the ranger programs when you arrive, and then plan day by day. You can't go wrong.

Here are my notes:

Acadia National Park.

Just go into the visitor center the first day and get a list. The horse drawn carriage rides are great. We hike the mountains, bike all the carriage trails, hang out on the beaches and walk the rocky shores. Every day we look at the park map, pick a spot and explore. We eat lobsters on the beaches. It is such a nice trip. We go every summer for 8 days. You can rent kayaks and paddle in the sound. Jordon Pond House has great popovers.

You can take your bikes on the mail boat the Cranberry Islands and bike around all day. We spend an entire day biking a 2 mile island and exploring the beaches, throwing rocks in the waves and just hanging out. It was amazing.

If you are there long enough- you can take a boat for drive over to Schoodic Peninsula (the other half of Acadia) and hike around there.

This year we are making the trek up to Campobello Island to see FDR's house and show the girls.
    ————————
    I love Maine, especially the area in and around Acadia! We've been a few times and are going back this summer. Some things we've loved, in no particular order:

1) Dan Falt's workshop in NE Harbor. Falt is an artist/sculptor who opens his workshop up to kids in the summer. They can hang out, explore, create art, etc. It's a really cool place, and a really different way to spend an hour or two.
    2) Common Good soup kitchen popovers in SW Harbor. Pay by donation only, and the popovers are just as good, if not better, than Jordan Pond House. My kids love it b/c they can eat as many as they want! You sit outside in a cute patio area. Coffee is great, and the usually have oatmeal, too. (Jordan Pond House is definitely worth a trip, too.)
    3) Thurston's lobster pound. Absolutely perfect setting in a small, working harbor + amazing lobster and mussels.
    4) Driving up to the top of Cadillac Mountain and then finding the "true" summit.
    5) Lunch & dessert at the Quietside Cafe in SW Harbor.
    6) Diver Ed's Dive-In Theater cruise
    7) Walking the "land bridge" to Bar Island
    8) hiking! and biking the carriage roads (Though I can't do the Beehive b/c I'm afraid of heights. My husband and boys have done it.) I like this book.
    9) The little museum (has a touch tank) at the College of the Atlantic. (Diver Ed usually leaves from here, so you could pop in to the museum before/after that trip.)
    10) Kayaking. We once rented a house on the mainland, across from MDI and we spent hours upon hours on the water.
    11) I'm odd but I also love going to the local grocery stores and picking up things we can only get in Maine (Moxie soda, weird red hot dogs, local beer, ployes mix, Gifford ice cream, blueberries, whoopie pies, etc). (Apparently we eat a lot of junk in Maine!)

———————
    Atlantic Brewing Company: beer (and soda) tasting!- no dogs; Mainely meat restaurant- outdoor, dogs allowed, playground

----------

Editing to add that I just found info about the "Acadia Quest" on the Acadia NP website-- looks like a challenge to hit a few different spots in Acadia. If you complete the challenge you'll be entered in a raffle to win prizes such as a park pass: https://friendsofacadia.org/events/acadia-quest/
    Last edited by jent; 07-14-2019 at 02:27 PM.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You go on the best vacations! I think you went to Yellowstone last year? We went there last year too, and this year we are going to Acadia. Great minds think alike!

Here's what I have so far:

Everyone everywhere recommends Diver Ed's, and you do have to reserve in advance.

There is an app called Chimani that has great info on paths in the park. I think it was free.

Biking on the carriage roads also came highly recommended. It looks like there are a few rental places in Bar Harbor.

Hope you have a great trip!
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

Quote Originally Posted by gobadgers View Post
    You go on the best vacations! I think you went to Yellowstone last year? We went there last year too, and this year we are going to Acadia. Great minds think alike!

Here's what I have so far:

Everyone everywhere recommends Diver Ed's, and you do have to reserve in advance.

There is an app called Chimani that has great info on paths in the park. I think it was free.

Biking on the carriage roads also came highly recommended. It looks like there are a few rental places in Bar Harbor.

Hope you have a great trip!
    Haha! Yellowstone was 2 years ago and NYC was earlier this year. Acadia is being built in with visiting family in NH, so that helps things.

I had not come across the Dive In. Looks awesome! I will work on a plan for reservations.

Hope your trip is great too!
    Kris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast