Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jent View Post
    I know there are past threads about Acadia because we went 2 years ago, and are actually going again later this summer but I haven't planned anything yet either. But, I do have my notes saved from 2 years ago. I think these are copy-pasted from old threads, but they could also be from TripAdvisor or emails from friends who have been there.

Looking over this list, we did Ed's Dive-in theater (awesome for kids), walked the land bridge to Bar Island, biked the carriage trails, and did a lot of hiking. It was all fantastic and we felt like there was so much more we could have done (hence the return trip this year!)

Really, it's ok to just grab the park map and info about the ranger programs when you arrive, and then plan day by day. You can't go wrong.

Here are my notes:

Acadia National Park.

Just go into the visitor center the first day and get a list. The horse drawn carriage rides are great. We hike the mountains, bike all the carriage trails, hang out on the beaches and walk the rocky shores. Every day we look at the park map, pick a spot and explore. We eat lobsters on the beaches. It is such a nice trip. We go every summer for 8 days. You can rent kayaks and paddle in the sound. Jordon Pond House has great popovers.

You can take your bikes on the mail boat the Cranberry Islands and bike around all day. We spend an entire day biking a 2 mile island and exploring the beaches, throwing rocks in the waves and just hanging out. It was amazing.

If you are there long enough- you can take a boat for drive over to Schoodic Peninsula (the other half of Acadia) and hike around there.

This year we are making the trek up to Campobello Island to see FDR's house and show the girls.
    ————————
    I love Maine, especially the area in and around Acadia! We've been a few times and are going back this summer. Some things we've loved, in no particular order:

1) Dan Falt's workshop in NE Harbor. Falt is an artist/sculptor who opens his workshop up to kids in the summer. They can hang out, explore, create art, etc. It's a really cool place, and a really different way to spend an hour or two.
    2) Common Good soup kitchen popovers in SW Harbor. Pay by donation only, and the popovers are just as good, if not better, than Jordan Pond House. My kids love it b/c they can eat as many as they want! You sit outside in a cute patio area. Coffee is great, and the usually have oatmeal, too. (Jordan Pond House is definitely worth a trip, too.)
    3) Thurston's lobster pound. Absolutely perfect setting in a small, working harbor + amazing lobster and mussels.
    4) Driving up to the top of Cadillac Mountain and then finding the "true" summit.
    5) Lunch & dessert at the Quietside Cafe in SW Harbor.
    6) Diver Ed's Dive-In Theater cruise
    7) Walking the "land bridge" to Bar Island
    8) hiking! and biking the carriage roads (Though I can't do the Beehive b/c I'm afraid of heights. My husband and boys have done it.) I like this book.
    9) The little museum (has a touch tank) at the College of the Atlantic. (Diver Ed usually leaves from here, so you could pop in to the museum before/after that trip.)
    10) Kayaking. We once rented a house on the mainland, across from MDI and we spent hours upon hours on the water.
    11) I'm odd but I also love going to the local grocery stores and picking up things we can only get in Maine (Moxie soda, weird red hot dogs, local beer, ployes mix, Gifford ice cream, blueberries, whoopie pies, etc). (Apparently we eat a lot of junk in Maine!)

———————
    Atlantic Brewing Company: beer (and soda) tasting!- no dogs; Mainely meat restaurant- outdoor, dogs allowed, playground

----------

Editing to add that I just found info about the "Acadia Quest" on the Acadia NP website-- looks like a challenge to hit a few different spots in Acadia. If you complete the challenge you'll be entered in a raffle to win prizes such as a park pass: https://friendsofacadia.org/events/acadia-quest/
    This is great. Thank you. I had not come across a lot of them before, so I'm making a good list now! I was starting to worry I'd have complaining kids because they only want to hike so long. But this will make things a lot better!
    Kris

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gobadgers View Post
    You go on the best vacations! I think you went to Yellowstone last year? We went there last year too, and this year we are going to Acadia. Great minds think alike!

Here's what I have so far:

Everyone everywhere recommends Diver Ed's, and you do have to reserve in advance.

There is an app called Chimani that has great info on paths in the park. I think it was free.

Biking on the carriage roads also came highly recommended. It looks like there are a few rental places in Bar Harbor.

Hope you have a great trip!
    I'm just lazily copying KrisM's vacation plans, lol. not really, but it seems I am! We were contemplating Montreal/Quebec/Acadia, but really wanted to do NYC and Yellowstone first...so we've been thankful for K's info for sure!!!

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Haha! Yellowstone was 2 years ago and NYC was earlier this year. Acadia is being built in with visiting family in NH, so that helps things.
    Oh, haha! Yes, our trip was two years ago as well. I can't keep track!!

At Acadia, we are also planning to go to the Wendell Gilley museum - they have kids programs, but not sure if we will have time to attend one, or just visit the museum.
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

DH wants to do the Beehive hike. We did it last time and I think it might be too much for the kids. Opinions?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Kris

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    DH wants to do the Beehive hike. We did it last time and I think it might be too much for the kids. Opinions?

My kids are 10 and 11 years old, and we are planning to do it! I think I will be the weak link. Apparently there are some nice alternative ladder hikes that are not as busy too.
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

DH and DS1 did the Beehive and it went well. DS1 agreed the others, especially DS2, would have found it scary from the height. I ended up at the COA museum with the others, so it worked well.

Overall it was a good, fast trip. We're at relatives now but I'll post in a few days with what we ended up doing.

Thanks for the help!

Kris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2