ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Experience with Fitbit Alta HR?

DH told me to order the fitness tracker I want for my birthday (Sept). I have an original Flex, that at one point stopped charging/tracking steps so I stopped using it. Found it in a drawer over the weekend, charged it back up, and it seems to be working now. But, I wish it had a watch on it, instead of just the blinking lights for steps. It works for what I want, as all other info is on the Fitbit app to see, but a watch face would be nice. As well as other new things they have added to the newer models.

I was really hoping for a deal on the Inspire HR, as I'm intrigued by the stress tracking/breathing reminders, as well as it being waterproof (not that I'm planning on swimming with it, but it would be nice to not worry about getting it wet while doing dishes, watering plants, etc.) Amazon has the Alta HR in black for $50 today, but it is not waterproof. And reviews are mixed on quality (as they are on all Fitbits it seems.....). So debating if I should grab the Alta HR at a great price, or continue to use my Flex and then watch for a sale on the Inspire HR later in the year for Christmas. Anyone who has the Alta can give some input on how it has lasted for you and what you like/dislike about it?

DD got the Alta hr for Christmas and I just grabbed one for myself so I can compete with her. You can customize the display a bit and then as you said the rest of the info is in the Fitbit app. I like that you can set reminders to move (buzzes around the 50 minute mark of the hour if you haven't gotten 250 steps in that hour). I have it turned on for the weekend only but she usually will get up and get some steps when it buzzes at her. The clock is nice--She's the only person who consistently knows what time it is. It's supposed to activate the clock when you swing your wrist up to look but sometimes you have to tap it. I like it's slimmer profile. I have huge wrists for a woman and DDs small even fits me so I think the small should work for most women. I wish it would display the actual number of steps. Once you are over a thousand it says things like "2.3k". For $50 it's a fun toy and reminder to get some steps in.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks Snow mom! I was actually considering getting the regular Inspire for DD1 that is also $50, as it is waterproof. I am hoping the movement reminders will encourage me to be more active as well. I just started using the Fitstar Yoga app, which syncs with Fitbit Coach to add in my movement from that, which is nice. I was reading a bit more about each of the trackers and saw that if you switch the screen display to horizontal, then it shows your exact step count instead of the 2.3K, so maybe try that out!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

So glad o saw this post....my Fitbit flex charger stopped working so instead of getting another one I went ahead and got the AltaHR small plus a set of off brand large bands because the small was only on sale. Thanks for letting me know it isn’t waterproof as well. Fitbit has amazing customer service. I had my flex replaced at least 3 times during the warranty period for not charging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    Thanks Snow mom! I was actually considering getting the regular Inspire for DD1 that is also $50, as it is waterproof. I am hoping the movement reminders will encourage me to be more active as well. I just started using the Fitstar Yoga app, which syncs with Fitbit Coach to add in my movement from that, which is nice. I was reading a bit more about each of the trackers and saw that if you switch the screen display to horizontal, then it shows your exact step count instead of the 2.3K, so maybe try that out!
    Thanks for the tip! I prefer the clock vertical so I don't know that we ever looked at steps with the clock horizontal. It would be nice if they let the step orientation be independent of the clock orientation but I guess it's just a matter of deciding if it's easier to live with a horizontal clock or a rounded step count.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13