Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help me understand tween (mean) girl dynamics...

...and best way to help/coach DD!

We are at the community pool right now. DD is almost 11, heading into 6th grade. There are 4 girls from her school here, all playing together. One girl used to be a very good friend (has been over for multiple sleepovers) but they were not in the same class last year and didn’t really hang out. (I think the friend found other friends in her new class, and moved on from DD). Another of the girls sat at the same lunch table as DD all of last year, has been over to our house to play (but hasn’t reciprocated). DD has always been shyer/reserved, and struggles with joining/breaking into groups. She will consider certain girls to be her good friends, but I don’t think those girls consider DD to be at the same level - which breaks my heart!

She is pretty tight lipped about social interactions in general, but I’m sure it’s hurtful some of these girls that she considers friends kind of moved on and don’t reach out any more.

Anyway, I pointed out to her that the girls were here and asked if she wanted to say hi. She said “nah” and moved on to another part of the pool. I’m sure that if one of them came over and asked, she would immediately join in. But none of them are.

I wish she were confident enough to go up to them and say “hi guys, what are you doing? Can I play?” I feel like it’s a vicious cycle, interactions like this keep undermining her confidence and make me feel like there are deeper issues at play. I don’t want to meet her feel bad about feeling shy, or intimidated, but I do want to encourage her to try!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DD Summer 2008
    DS Summer 2010

Update: “sleepover” friend said hi to her, as the girls ran past into the bathroom. I encouraged DD to go into the bathroom for a minute, say hi and ask what they were up to. DD refused I told her she didn’t have to necessarily hang out with them, but at least say hi and make conversation for a minute or two. Stuff like this frustrates me!!

DD Summer 2008
    DS Summer 2010

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Nothing you are describing is "mean". Friendships change and will change throughout middle school. Your daughter seems to be handling it fine. Don't force her to try and break into conversations if she doesn't want to. What just transpired is totally normal. The girls weren't being mean, they were hanging out together.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Help me understand tween (mean) girl dynamics...

Quote Originally Posted by cvanbrunt View Post
    Nothing you are describing is "mean". Friendships change and will change throughout middle school. Your daughter seems to be handling it fine. Don't force her to try and break into conversations if she doesn't want to. What just transpired is totally normal. The girls weren't being mean, they were hanging out together.
    Yes to this. I don’t think what you are describing is mean girl behavior at all. Where you expecting these girls to invite DD and now she feels left out? If that was the case and there was talk among the group about going to the pool and then they didn’t include your DD then I worried about that, but yes what the op described is totally normal for an 11 year old age set and up.

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I totally agree that the other girls are not being mean. Sorry, let me clarify! I don’t understand why DD is so intimidated to join them, when two of the girls are girls that she was either friends with or sat with all year long. Which makes me wonder if “mean girl” behavior took place at school or something!

DD Summer 2008
    DS Summer 2010

Updated again! DD eventually joined them and played for a while. From what I could see, a sleepover friend was being nice and including her, the other two girls were tolerating her if not overly friendly. That’s fine! It was just freaking me out that she seemed too intimidated to even say hello to the group, when she knows at least two of them very well…

DD Summer 2008
    DS Summer 2010

OP, I hear you loud and clear. My daughter is very similar, and I can imagine a situation like that playing out and it being painful to watch. Glad it wasn’t so bad in the end.

What was very interesting to me to see was when DD was at a local play with a group of girls and a friend of hers from school came, too, with her parents. When I commented that DD was “over there” and the mother suggested the other girl join them, she got the tween glare and the other girl asked that they go sit on the opposite side of the theater. It was a bit of a wake-up call that sometimes it’s hard for other kids, too, to be somewhere alone or with family and then see a group of their peers together. For those of us with kids who have struggled a little more, it hurts...but I do think it’s a normal thing...

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Thanks for commiserating elbert! As an extrovert, it's hard to watch sometimes but I try to be super conscious of not projecting my feelings onto DD or making her feel self-conscious! I do feel that she comes across as either not confident or unfriendly in these situations sometimes!
    DD Summer 2008
    DS Summer 2010

One thing social skills groups teach is wait and observe a group before leaping in. They also teach that not every group should be joined. I think your DD did great!
    Last edited by TwinFoxes; 07-17-2019 at 08:51 AM. Reason: added the word "skills"
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

It won’t help her to try and force her way in, I’m glad it worked out and she interacted with them. Girls, not all but many, do this exclusionary stuff and ignore girls they have been friends with and it is hurtful and especially hard to watch, even if it isn’t active bullying or what others would call mean. There are lots of subtleties and passive aggression with girls in middle school and beyond. It sounds like your daughter did great. I wouldn’t try and make her contact them if it happens again. Saying hi is fine, but they know full well she is there. The kiss of death is a kid who tries too hard or a parent who intervenes. Pleasant but not desperate or trying to be included works better. And glad it worked for your daughter. The book Queen Bees talks about the frustrating and often painful world of girl adolescence.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast