Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Mine still call me mommy or mama.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Mine never really called me "mama", I got Mom or Mum. DS seems to say MOM about 4 thousand times a day sometimes

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DS stopped around 2, because there was a PBS show we watched where the character used mom and dad (I want to say it was Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, but maybe not). I was really sad about that. DD used mom even earlier, because that’s what big brother said.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Reminds me of another name transition: while in graduate school, DC taught in the fellowship program that I led ... and started calling me by my first name. That made more sense than calling me "Mother" in front of our mutual students (even though they all knew about the relationship). What I hadn’t anticipated was that this became a permanent change, at home too. Not really a problem, just a bit surprising.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Reminds me of another name transition: while in graduate school, DC taught in the fellowship program that I led ... and started calling me by my first name. That made more sense than calling me "Mother" in front of our mutual students (even though they all knew about the relationship). What I hadn’t anticipated was that this became a permanent change, at home too. Not really a problem, just a bit surprising.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Can I tell you that is totally adorable!!!
    my kids call me by my nickname unless they’re mad at which time I’m ‘mom’
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Well, I have a nephew who is married with a kid and still refers to his mom as Mommy so it might be longer than you think!

And my 14 yo still does call me Mama as well.
    My 30yo niece in medical school still calls her mom Mommy. Her father died 2 years ago, and he was still Daddy. My 11yo DS still calls us Mommy and Daddy.
    mom to Billy 12/07

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, I'm 43 and still use the term Momma when speaking about my mother or other adults' mother, so.... Dh is the same age and still calls his mother Momma as well. It's one of the joys of living in NC.

DS is 13 and has tried to use Mom, but I have explained that I don't like that term for myself. So, he varies it up between Momma, Mommy, and Mother instead. DD1 is 10 and generally still uses Mommy.
    Last edited by klwa; 07-19-2019 at 07:37 AM.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mermanaid View Post
    Is it wrong that I won’t answer unless they call me mama or mommy?! They are 14 and 12. I set this expectation several years ago. At the time I was halfway kidding but now it’s ingrained in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh, I've told kids that I don't answer to Mom, not kidding. If it's my name, I get to decide how it's used, just like any other name/nickname in my mind!
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS called me by my first name until he was 6 . It was jarring for me to look at my little pumpkin and see him calling me by my first name, but I got used to it. In public, people assumed I was his babysitter or nanny because of this. My parents lived with us, and I guess he called me by what they called me. When DD was born, I had him practice repeating mommy every time he used my first name (hoping DD would call me mommy instead of my first name). After a month or two, it worked. At 12, I became "mom;" and after a year, I got used to the change (also tried the "I only answer to mommy" trick which worked if he really wanted something).

DD (9) calls me mommy.

I hear adults from the south call their parents mama and daddy.

Quote Originally Posted by div_0305 View Post

I hear adults from the south call their parents mama and daddy.
    Or "Deddy" if you're from the sticks. *raises hand*
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast