trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Need help with the backyard

Our backyard is a disaster (thank you dogs). If we had the money, I would paver the whole thing and leave a small patch of grass for them to do there business. Can anyone recommended a budget friendly idea source?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Can you talk to a local landscape designer whose familiar with what works well in your area? Our local nursery has connections with one for a reasonable fee. She created a plan for our yard and we could execute it ourselves.

You might also try overseeding with something like clover. It's immune to the burnt patches grass can get from dog pee and mixed with grass seems more durable than grass alone.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Wher do you live? The current “lawn” that is popular is not appropriate for 90% of the country. I would try to look stuff up about substainable yards for your area. Houzz is a great resource.

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    Can you talk to a local landscape designer whose familiar with what works well in your area? Our local nursery has connections with one for a reasonable fee. She created a plan for our yard and we could execute it ourselves.

You might also try overseeding with something like clover. It's immune to the burnt patches grass can get from dog pee and mixed with grass seems more durable than grass alone.
    I've talked to several. They all want at least $50 just to come out (and not give any ideas) and several hundred to give a design.
    The urine isn't the problem, the grass is getting torn up. The only grass that grows around here doesn't hand traffic well. Most people just throw down mulch or deal with the dirt.

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    I've talked to several. They all want at least $50 just to come out (and not give any ideas) and several hundred to give a design.
    The urine isn't the problem, the grass is getting torn up. The only grass that grows around here doesn't hand traffic well. Most people just throw down mulch or deal with the dirt.

See, while that sounds expensive, I think it could save you money in the long run. Concrete is much, much, much more expensive than that (even if your yard is tiny!) and it might save time, energy and money to get the experts opinion.

What part of the country do you live in? How large is your yard?

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think you could pretty much look online (ala Houzz and Home Depot) and decide what you want. We’re just converting our entire small back yard into a patio. I would love to have the blue stone pavers but that’s not happening because of the expense so we’re probably doing concrete pavers. I like the look of brick but we’ve had it prior and it gets filthy with mold etc so I’m staying away from that
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

It isn’t cheap, but very good dog friendly turf that looks like real grass is a life saver with small yard with dogs and kids. Most landscape designers here will come out and give you a bid without charging. You won’t have a design but may provide options. Yard stuff is pricey I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    See, while that sounds expensive, I think it could save you money in the long run. Concrete is much, much, much more expensive than that (even if your yard is tiny!) and it might save time, energy and money to get the experts opinion.

What part of the country do you live in? How large is your yard?
    We unfortunately don't have several hundred to spend right now.

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Grass and dogs are basically never going to coexist happily. A traditional lawn requires irrigation and lots of chemicals most everywhere in the US. And lawns like to be gazed at from afar--not run around on and certainly not peed on. I was going to suggest artificial turf if you are attached to a lawn look. Turf isn't nearly as ugly as it once was and will give you a green permeable surface. I personally would be hesitant to put non-permeable surface like pavers over my whole yard and depending on where you live there may be code for how much of your lot can be covered by non-permeable surface (this would include your house, paved driveways, and some types of non-permeable patios and such). If you are in the northeast I saw a very interesting talk by Mark Richardson who is the horticultural director at Tower Hill botanical garden. Googling "kill my lawn" might bring up information. Being a plant guy he obviously more covered ideas for replacing your lawn with other plants and you could see if anything speaks to you.

Without knowing more about your location, climate, and yard layout (are we talking 0.1 acre or 1 acre) I really can't make specific recommendations. We do kill your lawn lite. We have a lawn like thing which is made up mainly of mowed weeds (including undesirable grass species and forbs) which is not irrigated or treated with any chemicals. It works well on our third of an acre and most areas are covered although the small fenced dog area is a bit of a mess. Your best bet for covering an area with dogs on the cheap without professional help is going to be wood chips (not mulch). There might be a free supply near you and they are relatively easy to remove when you are ready to invest more in a permanent solution.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

could you section off a small part for them? You could use some of that mesh fencing to give them their yard if they wont jump the fence. I know someone who fenced in about 3 ft from the physical fence on the perimeter of the yard and it was awesome. Dogs had running space & kids had 'clean' play space.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!