MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Swim Team Practice

As we complete our summer league and start thinking about winter Y league, I have a question. Do your teams have set practices (i.e M, W, & F for example) or do you get to pick practice days?

I was talking with one of our swim moms who's child swims at a different Y in the winter and she was telling me that they offer practice at a certain time each day, and you can pick which days to come. They give you a suggestion about how many practices to attend per week based on your ability, but other than that the days you choose are up to you. She was telling me that they really liked that schedule because then her son could do wrestling and they didn't have to worry about him not being there for his teams if he had to miss a practice, because he could go to swim practice on the nights he didn't have wrestling and it worked out really well. I had never heard of this type of schedule but really like the idea as well, because DS also plays basketball in the winter and this would make it so much easier on him! Was just wondering if this was somewhat typical, as we've only ever dealt with the same two teams.

Yes, they do that for our Y swim team, as well. Our kids haven't participated, but that's what our friends said the schedule is like.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

our Y friends have to go to so many practices that they have to go swim for 2 hours AFTER they've done middle school basketball, XC, or whatever. I can't figure out when they do homework or eat dinner.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Offered every day, choose when you can come.
    Eta not a Y

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 07-24-2019 at 12:10 AM.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Not Y, but club year round, and they offered a number of options, you picked which one works best. They give a suggestion as to how many per week.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Two of my kids swam for different teams last year. One offered practice 3 days a week, required 1 attended for beginners and offered 4, required 2 at intermediate, and offered 5, required 3 at advanced. Most kids attended the majority of days.

The other team offered practice 6 days a week for all levels. Recommended 2-4 days a week based on level. DD was intermediate and went 4-5 days most of the year until track started.

My kids have been swimming club for years. Our team has 4 levels, lowest level offers practice 4 days a week (1 hour each) and highest offers practice every day (2 hours). DS1 (10) is in the second level and he goes 4 days (offered 5 days for 1:15) and DD (13) is in the top level and has been swimming 6 days a week this summer. In the regular season (school year), she swam 5 days a week.

ETA: in summer there’s no Sunday practice but the top level offers an afternoon practice 4 days a week, so DD could potentially attend 10 practices a week.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Lived in 2 areas with Y teams and both offer practice 5-6 days/week. Lower level picks 2 days, mid-level 3 days and highest level 5-6 days. In our current town there is a non-Y team that has the same schedule but highest level goes 7 days with 1 of those days being dry land practice. IME, it is not the practice that is a struggle for some year round swim families but the meets as they are often required and full weekend out of town events so rec league sports with weekend games are not possible.

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Generally that is the case here as well, with the caveat that kids in more elite groups/teams are expected to practice more days. My kids like to participate in other sports, so we have used year round for conditioning. In years when a child participated, they practiced 2 days/week but did not do meets. Without having races to look for, I think it gave them less to practice for. At the same time, they were able to participate in a variety of different sports, which has been beneficial in college for rec sports. Our son did rec basketball, rec soccer, rec football, and club level swimming at college last year, which provided in instant social groups. The club swim team travels to other universities, was welcoming, and tight knit. What I am trying to express is that there are some benefits to participating in a variety of sports, unless the child wants to swim at college.