Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Covering gray for Brunettes?

This question is for my sister! Shes the only one in the family who doesn’t have blonde hair. She’s starting to get some gray hair growing in and would like to cover it. How is this done? For my mom (who is blonde) it’s taken care of when she gets a weave. My sister does not currently color her hair. Is this best handled by a stylist? At home? With a whole hair kit? Highlights? Roots touch up? We’re complete newbies here. Thanks!!

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I started with highlights. It helps a lot. A stylist is very helpful but it is $$

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    This question is for my sister! Shes the only one in the family who doesn’t have blonde hair. She’s starting to get some gray hair growing in and would like to cover it. How is this done? For my mom (who is blonde) it’s taken care of when she gets a weave. My sister does not currently color her hair. Is this best handled by a stylist? At home? With a whole hair kit? Highlights? Roots touch up? We’re complete newbies here. Thanks!!
    I have medium to dark brown hair. If she is a dye newbie or is at all skittish about results she should go to a stylist. When I first started to get a little grey I did just get highlights to blend it out. As I've gotten more (thanks, kids!! ) I turned to all over color. I keep it the same as my natural color and do my own at home. The first few times I did go to a stylist but have never found them to get any better result than I can at home.

The hardest thing about brown hair with a little grey is that the dark hairs will grab as much color as the grey so it can end up very dark if she isn't careful depending what type of dye she uses. I always choose a shade or 2 lighter than my natural to help combat this when using demi perm color. They greys appear as highlights while the overall color is refreshed. I alternate between demi permanent and permanent color. With permanent color it will lift some from the brown hairs so there's less contrast between then greys and brown BUT it's harsher on hair and as it fades those lifted areas can appear brassy orange. No perfect solution - blondes have it SO much easier! If money is an issue she definitely can do it herself. I'd probably suggest doing a consult with Madison Reed or esalon and going with their prodict for now. If money isn't an issue it's probably best to have a pro do it for a while.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I use Clairol Natural Instinct semi permanent hair color.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

So how much gray? I have a lot as in white streaks, mostly around my face. I use a silver brightening shampoo and conditioner so it’s silver/white and not yellow/gray. I did highlight and dye but it cost so much and the roots upkeep was crazy as my hair grows quickly. Just giving an alternative option , embrace the silver Image1563859206.956574.jpg

[QUOTE=niccig;4338910]So how much gray? I have a lot as in white streaks, mostly around my face. I use a silver brightening shampoo and conditioner so it’s silver/white and not yellow/gray. I did highlight and dye but it cost so much and the roots upkeep was crazy as my hair grows quickly. Just giving an alternative option , embrace the silver Image1563859206.956574.jpg

This is exactly what I do! I colored for a long time but got tired of the upkeep and inconsistencies in the color. I've now embraced the grey by using the brightening shampoo and get way more compliments than I ever did when I colored. I also have mostly steaks around my face with a few random greys in the back. I know eventually my whole head will be white, but I'm ok with that

I am still able to have highlights done to blend in the gray. Over the last few years, I've had to have them done more frequently as more gray has sprouted, ugh but my stylist has advised me to stay on this course as long as possible as once I start all-over color, it's a commitment to it. I'm not at that stage of having pretty silver hair streaks, just lots of random gray. Maybe in the future I'll embrace it but I'm not there yet.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

[QUOTE=briarrose;4338915]
    Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    So how much gray? I have a lot as in white streaks, mostly around my face. I use a silver brightening shampoo and conditioner so it’s silver/white and not yellow/gray. I did highlight and dye but it cost so much and the roots upkeep was crazy as my hair grows quickly. Just giving an alternative option , embrace the silver Image1563859206.956574.jpg

This is exactly what I do! I colored for a long time but got tired of the upkeep and inconsistencies in the color. I've now embraced the grey by using the brightening shampoo and get way more compliments than I ever did when I colored. I also have mostly steaks around my face with a few random greys in the back. I know eventually my whole head will be white, but I'm ok with that
    Yep, I know I’m going to be completely white. My sister is 2 years older than me and she already has full head of white hair. I get a lot of people asking me if I color my hair. My hairdresser said she’ll never color it and she has clients that pay her for the silver streaks.

Last edited by niccig; 07-23-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Briarrose and Niccig, I’m just curious which brightening shampoos/conditioners the two of you use. Due to financial and time contraints, I’ve given up on keeping up with dying, and have embraced my silver as well. It could probably do with a little brightening, though :-).
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

Quote Originally Posted by mm123 View Post
    Briarrose and Niccig, I’m just curious which brightening shampoos/conditioners the two of you use. Due to financial and time contraints, I’ve given up on keeping up with dying, and have embraced my silver as well. It could probably do with a little brightening, though :-).
    Whatever the drugstore has in stock. I just use the conditioner and add extra regular conditioner. You do t use it every time wash your hair asitcan give a purple tint. Currently it’s Shimmer Lights brand, it’s OK. Amazon has some good reviews on other shampoo/conditioner and I probably should try something better.

Edit: I looked at some reviews of best shampoo/conditioner to get , and the Clairol Shimmer Lights is on the lists. It’s easy for me to get, so maybe I’ll just keep using it.

Last edited by niccig; 07-23-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast