petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default I probably just lost some friends, but I'm so annoyed

In Utah, July 24th is a state holiday and fireworks are allowed. So, some of my neighbors sat out at our community park area (which borders my property) and did aerial fireworks for an hour. I was mildly annoyed that there were loud bangs right outside my child's bedroom window and that we could hear the debris falling onto our roof.
    Then this morning I noticed that the entire community park lawn is littered with little cardboard debris from their fireworks. A few hours later when DS went out back to play I noticed that my entire back lawn is also covered in firework cardboard and my 2-month old trampoline is covered in those tiny firecracker rocks that will grind in and make holes. Yay. So I quickly swept and vaccuumed up what I could from the trampoline before DS and his friend could grins them in too much.
    Then I posted on our neighborhood nextdoor forum asking for the responsible parties to please clean up my yard and the community park.
    Yeah, I'm sure my relationship with these 3 particular families will be toast now. I will be the grumpy prude of the neighborhood.
    But seriously? I'm tired of cleaning up after people. Should I really just be expected to spend my afternoon picking cardboard chunks off my lawn?
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Ugh, that’s obnoxious. I hope they clean up their mess!!!
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That’s awful!! I would have done the same thing as you did!

That would make me furious.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks for validating me. I feel silly being upset, but everytime we do fireworks we walk around with a flashlight and pick up as much trash as we can find. Maybe they didn't think they needed to do that with aerials?
    Nobody has come forward yet and offered to clean it up, so I guess that's what our Saturday family project will be.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

I hate July in Utah because we have not one but two fireworks holidays!!! You should be ticked!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

You have every right to be annoyed. We have a neighborhood FB page, and the people here would have called those neighbors out by name and/or addresses for far less. I don't think you did anything wrong, you just said "responsible parties". You were quite reasonable IMO.

My former neighbor used to do a huge July 4th fireworks show. Then we'd sweep the street. It's common courtesy!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!