trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Changing friend dynamics

Putting in the BP, because I know that this is just life.
    DD had a friend in K that I really liked. Very sweet, kind kid. This kid's mom and I became friendly because of their friendship. And the whole family is just a really nice family. DD and this kid are definitely drifting apart. Sometimes their family and ours get together, but it's less frequent as neither DD or the friend ask to see each other. DD is going to a different school next year, so I am sure we will see even less of them. Not looking for advice or anything, it just makes me a little sad. It seems like lately, nice families are hard to find.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ugh, I totally sympathize! Had a similar situation in the kindergarten to first grade transition with my DD, too. I understand it's just part of life and my DD was still happy and doing great, but *I* was very bummed! My DD is switching schools this year too, and I'm just crossing my fingers for a similarly great situation again! Hope the same happens for you!!!
    Lizi

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We had a friendship like that. But, the mom and I stayed close and we hang out just the 2 of us often. And once or twice a year the whole family gets together. No reason you can’t stay in each other’s life. Keep that Mom friendship going. It’s so nice to have someone that I go way back to the early days of parenting.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    We had a friendship like that. But, the mom and I stayed close and we hang out just the 2 of us often. And once or twice a year the whole family gets together. No reason you can’t stay in each other’s life. Keep that Mom friendship going. It’s so nice to have someone that I go way back to the early days of parenting.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    ITA. DS1 is 15, and I still consider his k-3rd friend's mom one of my best friend and we love their family. Even though the boys haven't been friends for years.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I get it. I've had this happen with both my kids. Had solid solid friend groups all through elementary. I watched those kids grow up, and got to know the moms and dads well! In middle school both kids drifted from those groups to new groups. The kids are fine, but I miss the parents. We could still see each other, but it's just not very seamless. Sad, as I haven't made great friends in my town (work and home life just take up so much time), and these were easy friendships. I don't think any of us have the time to keep them up on our own. I just hope all the kids have found a group, as hard to assess from asking my kids. Also sad because they now coordinate their social lives essentially without me (just asking for rides to friends houses) so I barely know the parents of the new friends.
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05