Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    That's awesome!
    I don't think I'd go walking around there too much at night though (edge of the Tenderloin area) so have a plan for transportation. The Trip Advisor forums should be a good resource for figuring out those logistics.
    Already checked Trip Advisor for transportation and reviews of the theater! That was part of the reason I was double thinking about Anastasia because recent yelp reviews didn’t really have positive things to say about the area surrounding the Golden Gate Theatre, and it was a slightly longer walk to Bart. The Orpheum is literally next door to the Civic Center Bart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Geez, I totally missed that BART station.

lil_acorn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our favorites in San Fran were the Exploratorium (you can spend all day there..it was my favorite museum I have ever been to), Alcatraz (loved the audio tour), and Ferry building (love to eat :-))

I agree with PP, don't make the Millbrae to SF commute more than once/day. It sucks too much time out of your day.

We are "locals" but live outside of the City and don't visit regularly. I will say that we love food, so our decisions are very food-oriented (e.g., a visit to Tartine for their awesome bread, a visit to Ferry Building to eat oysters at Hog Island and pick up some great cheese from Cowgirl Creamery, etc.). I would NOT go to Ghiradelli unless you LIKE crowds. Better to head to Bi-Rite, Mitchell's, or another local ice cream/dessert option to tempt your DD. Portland's Salt and Straw ice cream chain has opened up an SF location, too, but it's not an "SF treat" per se.

My kids' schools and summer camps regularly go on field trips to SF to the Exploratorium, Cal Academy of Sciences, Fisherman's Wharf (they take an Adventure Cat sailing boat out and then browse there afterward), etc. We also took the kids to see Hamilton a few months ago. The area down by Civic Center has a lot of homeless residents but we didn't feel unsafe.

If you're into history/outdoors and don't want to deal with the ticket issue at Alcatraz, Angel Island Immigration Station is the "Ellis Island" of the West Coast. Unlike Ellis Island, the US gov't imprisoned Chinese travelers for months/years until they could prove their US citizenship through lengthy and detailed interviews. Some were children of US citizens who were sent back to China to live so they had to prove who they were by answering random questions about relative and village life (e.g., how many steps from your ancestral home to the well?). You take a ferry over and can have a pleasant day hike, see the Chinese poetry carved into the walls of some of the old buildings where they were kept, and get a nice view of the City.

I also think Lyft makes SO much sense as it's on-demand drivers (as opposed to calling a taxi or waiting to get lucky if one drives by). My kids are 1 year older than each of your kids and they have been in dozens of Lyft vehicles with us as we use them on vacation and don't bother renting a car anymore unless there are long drives involved. I would point out that Lyft has the background checks just like taxi drivers--if she can sit in a taxi and isn't paranoid about getting into ANY stranger's car, then she can sit in a Lyft or Uber. I just don't use Uber based on their past egregious conduct (even if they have reformed).

Have fun!
    Last edited by smiles33; 08-01-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2