Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default dog vs dishwasher

The most annoying thing happened last night. We have a super intelligent German Shepard, with a bad habit. He cannot seem to keep out of the open, dirty dishwasher! He knows he gets in trouble, now... so he only does it when I get distracted or leave the room with it open.

So... I was putting stuff in the dishwasher, and the phone rang. I turned to answer the phone, and could see him sneaking over. Well...

He got his collar hooked on something on the bottom rack,and freaked out. He pulled the entire rack out of the dishwasher, bouncing it off of two walls (taking out chunks of drywall), throwing dirty dishes a couple of feet in all directions (breaking several), and running through the living room until he ran between the sofa and recliner, where the rack wouldn't fit through. He's crying and stuck, and still freaked. I manage to get him unhooked and he runs to his crate where he stays for the next three hours.

Know how I know if was three hours? It took over that long to clean up the mess. And he broke pieces off the dish rack, so I have to go to the appliance place tomorrow to see about getting parts - for my three month old dishwasher.

And then... This morning... guess what? Nose back in the dirty dishwasher again!!!!!!

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Oops.... Our pup had this happen when he was 7 months old. Thankfully there was not much in it and nothing broke, but the poor pup was terrified; the dishwasher rack appeared to be chasing him and he could not out run it. He now gives the dishwasher it's space....

I am so sorry for your mess and that it did not prevent further investigation! Maybe gate him OUT of the kitchen when the dishwasher is open??? They certainly keep us on their toes!

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Oh wow! I would have thought for sure he'd stay away from the dishwasher after that!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Mommy_Mea is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My dog growing up did this as well, and was right back to licking the dishwasher the next day!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ugh! Sorry I feel your pain with naughty dog behavior. I got a new belt on Sat. Left the box on the table in my room and he ate it. I put the belt in my suitcase (I'm away) and this am I found the belt buckle on the way to the bathroom. He ate about 4-6 in of it. sigh.

I hope its not too expensive to fix the dishwasher.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What a mess! We got a new dog this summer and she chews on the collars of my son's shirts, ruining a few, including his new basketball uniform. Dogs do the weirdest things! Good thing we love them.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My doggo is a professional dish washer...I consider him the pre-rinse cycle. And yep, he’s gotten his collar hooked on the bottom rack too. Only things I think you could do is a training collar, tin can of coins to rattle any time he approaches the open dishwasher, or sprinkle something like chili powder on the dishes so he stops wanting to lick them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

LOL, my mom's dog used to steal the utensils and lick them. We would find them in the other room.
    DS 6/09

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh on!!!!! Hahahaha but it's a funny story! Reminds me of the time I dropped the handle part of a retractable leash (I will never use those again) while walking our dog, while I was 20 weeks pregnant with twins. She flipped out and RAN, thinking the handle was chasing her (and it kind of was as the leash was retracting just as fast as she was running). Picture a really preggo woman panic yelling at her terrified dog to stop while in no way being able to catch up. I'm sure a few neighbors got a good laugh that day.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 08-13-2019 at 07:19 PM.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Hmm, sounds like my 2 yr old! He always gets in trouble for playing in the dirty dishes while I load them but he always tries to do it anyway!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast