Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Hotel towels

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    I usually find this to be true, but a couple of weeks ago we stayed at a hotel ( an independent, not part of a chain) that had pump bottles attached to the inside of the shower. One was for shampoo, one for conditioner, and one for body soap. They were full size, and could easily be filled by housekeeping when needed. Even though I always bring my own, I thought it was such a great idea and wonder why more hotels don’t do this. While it would be a bit of an expense to install, I think it would save money (and certainly plastic) in the long run.
    I’ve been to hotels w these before. I just saw a headline the other day that a big chain was switching to this design. I didn’t click to see which one.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I’ve been to hotels w these before. I just saw a headline the other day that a big chain was switching to this design. I didn’t click to see which one.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Some of the Marriott chain hotels that we've stayed at had the big pump dispensers inside the shower.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

The Drury Inn, which is a budget brand, switched to the pumps a few years ago. My stepdad was bummed because he likes to take hotel toiletries home.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Some of the Disney resorts have switched over to the shower soap pumps. I personally like the concept as I disliked the thought of all of the waste from the little bottles, especially if they switch to higher quality contents within.

Re: the towels, totally agree. We always seem to get 3 sets. We usually walk down to the front desk for more but inevitably are down to 3 again the first time housekeeping switches them out.

ETA: I also rec the LLBean toiletry bag. I use the Medium for myself and will probably upgrade the kids to one soon. We often stay in places with two bathrooms so we'll probably keep one for kids, one for me for now.
    Last edited by mikala; 08-01-2019 at 12:41 PM.

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'll look at the LL Bean bag. We all have our own and would use them for smaller trips for sure.

One of the hotels we were at this summer had the shampoo pumps. Nice idea.
    Kris

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I usually find this to be true, but a couple of weeks ago we stayed at a hotel ( an independent, not part of a chain) that had pump bottles attached to the inside of the shower. One was for shampoo, one for conditioner, and one for body soap. They were full size, and could easily be filled by housekeeping when needed. Even though I always bring my own, I thought it was such a great idea and wonder why more hotels don’t do this. While it would be a bit of an expense to install, I think it would save money (and certainly plastic) in the long run.
    During our recent Japan trip, our hotels had this. I loved this so much! More eco-friendly, no tiny bottles to discard. I'm wondering if most hotels in the US don't do that b/c they think it leads to more product usage? But wondering which is costlier--refilling dispensers with product (with people possibly using way more product) or lots of little bottles of product.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I HATE this about hotels, and we're "only" a family of 4! Hate not having enough towels, and NO place to hang! We always end up using the hangers with the clips to clip wet towels and then hang balance the hangers over doorframes overnight because I do believe in re-using wherever possible. Hanging over doorframes helps the towels dry quickly overnight when everyone is sleeping. If the towels are really large, I fold about a quarter of it in at the top and then clip on the fold so that they don't drag on the floor or luggage rack in the closet. Another place to hang is over the closet doors - open the closet doors, and cantilever balance the hangers on top. In the mornings we move the dry towels (still clipped into the hangers) into the closet, or fold and put into drawers. One trick we've learned (since it's not always productive to request extra towels) - most hotels have a pool, and that's an easy place to grab extra clean towels without having to ask anyone. Also, I have been known to grab a stack of clean towels, TP, kleenex, etc off a housekeeping cart as we walk past

For toiletries, many chains are switching away from those tiny bottles, which is great. I always pack a bar of Dove soap since that's what our family uses...easy to pack since it's not liquid. Hotel bar soaps are terrible anyway and without the Dove soap, we end up blowing through the shampoo (using it as a soap), or sometimes they have body wash but in those tiny bottles.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 08-04-2019 at 05:29 PM.

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We just stayed in a Holiday Inn with this. I like it.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We just returned from travel and had the same issue with towels. The funny thing is, when we travelled with 5, we'd get 4 towels. Now that we travel with 4, we get 3 towels. I always reserve for the proper # of people. I cannot imagine that they're trying to short us a towel, but it sure does feel like it! We stayed at a mix of Hiltons and Hyatts...and even have status at both. Still, not enough towels. And once, no bedding for the pullout, despite me adding it in the notes and confirming at check-in.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3