Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    DS is 16, and our dentist had suggested this. I think the main motivation is that the dentist office does this so it they probably make a lot of money off of it. DS wants to do this but has zero interest in doing the traditional braces because I think he doesn’t like the idea of metal in his mouth. He’s extremely organized so I was thinking about it. And I think the time involved was shorter than traditional braces..
    Do you really have to brush your teeth every time you take them off? I can’t see him doing that at school… As it is the bathroom situation is precarious. At home it would be no issue of course.
    They say rinsing is OK if you can't brush. The charge was the same for braces or Invisalign so I don't know that the orthodontist is making more off Invisalign v braces in this case.

for Sandy Hook

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My almost 16-yo has them. She likes to brush her teeth, not just rinse, after she eats - it feels gross if she doesn't. My DD is extremely organized and even for her, I might not have considered them at that age. Her issues are pretty minor and she is about halfway through.

If you do get them, I would talk with the Ortho about what happens if it is too much and you need to switch to metal braces. Ours was willing to let us switch if we wanted early on, but it has ended up not being a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    My almost 16-yo has them. She likes to brush her teeth, not just rinse, after she eats - it feels gross if she doesn't. My DD is extremely organized and even for her, I might not have considered them at that age. Her issues are pretty minor and she is about halfway through.

If you do get them, I would talk with the Ortho about what happens if it is too much and you need to switch to metal braces. Ours was willing to let us switch if we wanted early on, but it has ended up not being a big deal.
    This is what my 9 year old says - *must brush*! She also wears, cleans and organizes her nightly myopia-control contact lenses so she is an unusually diligent 9 year old. NO WAY my older DD could have done this at 9.

for Sandy Hook

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Wow! Good for your DD for keeping up with all that! They were offered to one of mine and he said there was no way he could handle all that. Instead, he's barely eating

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m afraid of the eating issue. As it is, DS doesn’t eat very often. He eats huge meals when he does. I’m not worried about home use, but school might be tricky.
    I wonder if this would prevent him from eating if he was in a hurry. Whereas now, he might have five minutes to have a little snack, will he take the effort to remove them? Hmmm..
    I think our dentist might be promoting them also because the dentist himself would manage the process, not an orthodontist! Has anyone else seen that?

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I’m afraid of the eating issue. As it is, DS doesn’t eat very often. He eats huge meals when he does. I’m not worried about home use, but school might be tricky.
    I wonder if this would prevent him from eating if he was in a hurry. Whereas now, he might have five minutes to have a little snack, will he take the effort to remove them? Hmmm..
    I think our dentist might be promoting them also because the dentist himself would manage the process, not an orthodontist! Has anyone else seen that?
    I don't think our dentist does that - he sent us to an orthodontist and we worked with her. I have worried about the eating issue too, and it's definitely a factor. I've noticed she eats a bigger breakfast at home, I'm pretty sure she skips snack and then just eats it with her lunch so she doesn't have to deal with taking them off and brushing twice a day at school.

for Sandy Hook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2