Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Need to buy "real" winter gear for a family vacation

Hi BBBers! We live in CA and do not have "real" winter gear. When it gets cold (i.e., mornings can be as cold as 40s-50s), my kids will put on a jacket and pants, but otherwise they typically wear the same clothes and shoes year-round since it usually warms up to the 60s. But now I need to buy real winter gear because we are headed to France for the winter holiday break and the lows will be in the 30s!

I'll confess I don't really know what 30 degree weather is like. I assume that is cold enough to need gloves and hats even if we're only walking to and from public transit and our indoor destinations. We don't plan to hike or sit outside for very long.

I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for my growing girls, nor for DH and me, when we rarely need winter gear. We don't ski/snowboard so it's not like we will use the stuff again unless we plan another winter holiday vacation to a cold destination. We might, but DDs will have outgrown some of their stuff by next winter. I can pass down some of DD1's winter stuff to DD2 eventually, but I don't want to spend a lot on DD2's stuff since she'll only wear it once on this trip.

I thought I might buy some used gear on ThredUp (an online option is easier for me since I rarely shop in person) or try to find sale items on online websites (e.g., Uniqlo, LL Bean, Lands' End?).

Can BBBers who live through real winters share advice and comment on my shopping list?

- DH has some "performance" jackets he uses for fishing that are windproof, waterproof, but not particularly warm/thick (e.g., Arcteryx, Mountain Hardware, etc.). Can he get away with just wearing layers underneath such a jacket for 30 degree weather?

- Packable down-filled coats for the 3 of us (if DH can get away with an existing jacket plus layers). I figure they should be packable because we usually travel carry-on only and am hoping to make a winter vacation work with carry-ons only, too. I actually have a huge puffy North Face jacket I bought on clearance 15-20 years ago for $99 but it would take up 1/2 of my carry-on roller suitcase. I considered just wearing it on the airplane but I've read the new packable stuff is just as warm and much easier to transport.

- I was considering also bringing/buying a second raincoat/trench in case of rain and to have a second lighter option if temps rise to the 40s/50s. Our existing rain gear tends to be very lightweight as it's usually fairly warm when it rains.

- Merino wool or cashmere sweaters (I'd only buy cashmere for me, not the kids, unless I got a very good deal)

- Gloves (leather?) for all of us

- Wool scarves

- Water-resistant boots (I have black leather boots already but can look into getting a spray to make them water-resistant). My DDs wear Converse, Adidas, and Keens year-round so they need real shoes. What do your kids wear in cold weather? Leather boots? Rain boots--but you don't bring those when you travel do you? What other shoes do we need?

- wool socks (I like my Bomba socks better than Smartwool--other recs?)

- What do you wear on your head? Ski caps? Or is that unnecessary?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

30 degrees will be really cold for you. You can forget packing carry on only--winter stuff plus all the layers you need takes up a ton of room. I have a down sweater that is packable and it barely makes it at 30 degrees--and I am used to cold! If it is windy, then it is even colder. If it is snowing/raining--you need water proof or you need to put a rain jacket over your down coat. Check out Sierra Trading Post, they have great deals on good stuff. Lands End stuff for kids is awesome--see if they have any on sale or on Ebay or Thread Up. A lands End squall jacket would be great for your kids. Check out the REI Garage section for deep discounts.

Gloves, hats, scarves--you need ski/snow gloves (water proof) or thick fleece gloves. Leather gloves are too thin unless you get really expensive ones. I like fleece scarves better than wool--they are washable. Same with hats--fleece hats are awesome.

Long underwear--I would honestly look at getting lightweight or silk underwear for everybody. It is a thin layer that will keep you warm.

Boots and socks--you need winter boots. They are not leather or rain boots. Look at Sierra Trading Post--I do have a pair of leather winter boots that are casual and lined but they are not dress leather boots. You could do Bogs boots--they are warm if you get the right kind. Smart wool socks are the very best.

Coats: Check out the weather rating on coats. You want something that is rated for temps that are lower than 30 degrees--like 20 degrees-to make sure you will be warm. Even better is waterproof. Or you can do down with a rain shell. You also want a slightly longer coat to keep more of you warm. I have a Lands End car coat that I love--down and comes to mid thigh. It is water proof.

I don't do sweaters--I do fleece. I love it because it is washable and comes in a ton of different weights--lightweight, heavy, etc. I like LE or LL Bean fleece. Patagonia is gorgeous but expensive.

I would bring hand warmers--they really help reduce the whining of "I'm cold".

I just wear regular pants/jeans at 30 degree weather. If you had on the thin long underwear you would be even better.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Your list is total overkill for what you're planning and what the temps are. I assume most of your itinerary is indoors- you don't want or need a million layers if you'll mostly be doing taxis, Metro...and being inside. Even if you'll be outside a bunch, your list is still overkill unless you are skiing and hiking!

- DH has some "performance" jackets he uses for fishing that are windproof, waterproof, but not particularly warm/thick (e.g., Arcteryx, Mountain Hardware, etc.). Can he get away with just wearing layers underneath such a jacket for 30 degree weather?
    Sure

- Packable down-filled coats for the 3 of us (if DH can get away with an existing jacket plus layers). I figure they should be packable because we usually travel carry-on only and am hoping to make a winter vacation work with carry-ons only, too. I actually have a huge puffy North Face jacket I bought on clearance 15-20 years ago for $99 but it would take up 1/2 of my carry-on roller suitcase. I considered just wearing it on the airplane but I've read the new packable stuff is just as warm and much easier to transport.
    Buy them from Costco. They should roll out before you need them. You DON'T need brand name options! The cheaper ones will do just fine for you limited need. Even this $20 will do fine https://www.costco.com/32-Degrees-La...100476647.html

- I was considering also bringing/buying a second raincoat/trench in case of rain and to have a second lighter option if temps rise to the 40s/50s. Our existing rain gear tends to be very lightweight as it's usually fairly warm when it rains.
    I wouldn't spend the money unless you'll get use out of them at home.
    This soft shell jacket from Costco was an impulse buy last fall and it got me through chilly, rainy Friday night football games AND a trip to NYC where it rained buckets every day and the highs barely cracked 50. I was the only one in my family warm enough. https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...100485779.html

- Merino wool or cashmere sweaters (I'd only buy cashmere for me, not the kids, unless I got a very good deal)
    I see no need for these. Plus, unless you know for sure the kids are good with it, they could be an itchy mess. Any bit of me or ds2 that is touched by wool is misery. And really, it just isn't that cold.

- Gloves (leather?) for all of us
    Why leather? We don't wear leather gloves. We mostly wear the $1 stretch gloves since we don't care about losing them. Fleece ones maybe. I find leather ones to only be so so comfort wise (unless you're spending buckets of money).

- Wool scarves
    Again, wool isn't necessary. Fleece is warm, wicking and comfortable. They have ones that look more fashionable than others. Plenty of scarves out there. I would probably just wait to buy. Most of my family oesn't like scarves anyway.

- Water-resistant boots (I have black leather boots already but can look into getting a spray to make them water-resistant). My DDs wear Converse, Adidas, and Keens year-round so they need real shoes. What do your kids wear in cold weather? Leather boots? Rain boots--but you don't bring those when you travel do you? What other shoes do we need?
    They don't wear anything special unless they'd be playing in snow.
    I'm a big fan of my new Sperry boots. They work for snow or rain. They are short so much less luggage space needed. https://www.sperry.com/en/saltwater-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bring 2 pairs of shoes though in case one does get wet. Grab a newspaper too- shove pages inside to dry out shoes overnight if needed.

- wool socks (I like my Bomba socks better than Smartwool--other recs?)

Unless you're going skiing, overkill.

- What do you wear on your head? Ski caps? Or is that unnecessary?
    often nothing.

I think so many of your things can just be purchased there if you actually need them- scarves, hats...

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Lows in the 30's means overnight lows, so I would figure 40, maybe 35 as the lowest you would be out and about.

Layers will be key. A water-resistent shell/rain jacket would be my starting point, with a fleece jacket/liner. The 3-in-1 type coats would be great for this sort of trip, and you should be able to use all the parts after you return. I wouldn't spring for Lands End or LL Bean, but the ones at Target/Kohls should be fine. Wear it onto the plane and then you don't take up any carry-on space. Add some gloves and a fleece or wool hat and you should be pretty well set. At that temp, I would either go with stretchy knit or maybe a slightly thicker fleece/knit with liner type glove or mitten - again, Target/Kohls level stuff should be fine. Leather and wool tend to not do well with water, so I would avoid them. I don't typically do a scarf at those temps, but I would go fleece over wool just from a ease of care perspective.

Synthetic long underwear is relatively inexpensive ($10-20 per set) and will make your regular clothes work just fine. I wouldn't bother with a wool sweater at that temp. Synthetic long underwear, long sleeve shirt and pants, fleece jacket with water/wind resistant shell should be plenty (and would be way overkill for those of us used to those temps).

My kids wear tennis shoes to and from school (so to and from the bus stop) all year round, so I don't know that I would do anything other than having a second pair of shoes in case they get wet enough that you need to dry them. Wool or synthetic blend socks, but 30 is not enough for us to wear them daily, that is more of a camping/skiing/sledding thing.
    Last edited by o_mom; 08-18-2019 at 03:05 PM.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

I see Stanton and I are of different minds. Though I totally agree on fleece vs wool!

I just think if your itinerary is mostly inside you'll be uncomfortably hot with long underwear on. I really just don't bundle up unless I know I have to be outside, in the elements, for long stretches.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I see Stanton and I are of different minds. Though I totally agree on fleece vs wool!

I just think if your itinerary is mostly inside you'll be uncomfortably hot with long underwear on. I really just don't bundle up unless I know I have to be outside, in the elements, for long stretches.
    I am with you. I would not lug ski gloves and winter boots to go from hotels and museums to cabs or metro.

I would also wait until closer to the trip to see what the actual forecast is before deciding what to take (buy ahead and keep tags on).
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Yes, but we are used to the cold. I remember living in LA and people were bundled up like crazy as soon as it got below 50. And walking around, using mass transit is cold. We walked all over the place when we went to London--and we used buses and the tube. Layers are good because you can take them on and off. Add in that it will be a wet cold and brrrr. I also assume there is snow to walk through because that's what we have. Maybe it will just be cold but dry????? But wet and cold feet are no fun. ugh.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Jeanne is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’m a fan of Smart Wool base layers. I wear them in 60 degrees and down. They breathe unlike synthetics and are washable. Mine are not itchy. I wear these with a North Face Thermoball jacket and I’m never cold even in near zero degree temps. Recommending these for you because they are items you will wear again. The Thermoball jacket is also lightweight and even in warmer temps, it’s somehow not hot.
    Last edited by Jeanne; 08-18-2019 at 03:35 PM.

Wow, thank you all for the quick and detailed replies! We are not used to cold weather at all, so I'm leaning toward going with Stanton's recs to be honest. I am worried we are going to be far more sensitive to cold than "normal" people used to winter, especially if it's windy and cold! I also have the Old Navy fleece jacket I had in high school in mind--cold air went right through that! I guess there's better "performance" fleece now?

Yet I really hate checking luggage and don't want to deal with lugging heavy suitcases through the city and onto a train. I have to remind myself that maybe I should compromise so we can stick to carry-on only and just buy stuff if we need it after all in France (likely at a premium, though!). Do they have lower-cost Target-level chain stores? We'll be in Paris for 1/2 the trip and then Aix-en-Provence in the South of France for the other half.

I'm leaning toward picking up some Costco/Target level jackets (thanks for the links, Snuggles!), silk under-layers (Uniqlo has them), and good socks. Neither area normally gets snow, so I think it's more rain and cold that we need to deal with.

Thanks all! I welcome additional tips.

Where you live always feels chilly to me! If you can handle that, you'll be more ok than you're thinking.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast