Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Shoot! I think Costco’s High Sierra backpacks are smaller this year?

We’ve used these for years now! I bought two new ones to replace DS1 and DS2’s backpacks from last year and I think they’re going to be too small! When I put them next to last years pack at first they look the same size but I really think the volume is different. It’s got less depth perhaps.

So here we are weeks before school starts and I thought we had backpacks and now I’m worried! Any good deals on good sized (Middle School and High School) backpacks? I haven’t been watching the deals because I thought I was good.

Anyone else notice this? Anyone got a deal?

Thank you!!

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do you have a Marshalls nearby? Or TJ Maxx? We are headed to Marshals today to get one for DD2. DD1 got a Jansport Big Student for $25 there a few weeks ago. They had a ton of brands for great prices (Jansport, Trans by Jansport, Adidas, Under Armour, High Sierra, etc.) The Under Armour were the most expensive I saw, around $35-$40. Most of the others were $15-$25. We saw a Trans by Jansport for $15 and then the same exact bag (same pattern) at Target after that for $36! I've also seen Jansport and Adidas at Ross previous years for dread prices. DD1 has used an Adidas for the past 2 years and it still looks brand new. We just upgraded to the Jansport because she is starting Middle School this year, thought the new backpack might give some extra good vibes in this big transition!

Ooh, also check out Ebags, they have been sending me emails about backpack sales.

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    Do you have a Marshalls nearby? Or TJ Maxx? We are headed to Marshals today to get one for DD2. DD1 got a Jansport Big Student for $25 there a few weeks ago. They had a ton of brands for great prices (Jansport, Trans by Jansport, Adidas, Under Armour, High Sierra, etc.) The Under Armour were the most expensive I saw, around $35-$40. Most of the others were $15-$25. We saw a Trans by Jansport for $15 and then the same exact bag (same pattern) at Target after that for $36! I've also seen Jansport and Adidas at Ross previous years for dread prices. DD1 has used an Adidas for the past 2 years and it still looks brand new. We just upgraded to the Jansport because she is starting Middle School this year, thought the new backpack might give some extra good vibes in this big transition!

Ooh, also check out Ebags, they have been sending me emails about backpack sales.

That’s a great idea. I’ll see what I can find!

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The Sierra backpack is bigger at Costco online. We just ordered it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    The Sierra backpack is bigger at Costco online. We just ordered it.

Interesting. I do think they offer a different pack online. Many of the comments similarly mention that the pack is smaller than years prior still!

I looked at the two packs together and at issue is the size of the front of the pack. It’s not a rectangle it’s angled inward. The side pockets also prevent the large pocket from being able to be zipped open further and it makes that compartment feel smaller. They just seemed to use less material overall than years prior and there’s no way it will fit DS1s stuff unfortunately. Probably not DS2s either.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I noticed the size difference too this year! The regular Costco High Sierras were already too small for DDs a couple of years ago, so I bought them the other High Sierra one at Costco then. It's either an elite or executive version and is a bit larger and more durable. I haven't seen that one since in warehouses. I do see the elite version at Costco.com right now. But I think even that one is different than what I bought in store a couple of years ago. I think I paid about $39.99 back then each.

I'm in the same boat. I had smallish Under Armour backpacks for my smallish soon-to-be sixth graders that fit their frames, but then I tried to fit all their school supplies (stupid giant zip up binder) and it wasn't even close. I like the look of the Adidas Prime backpacks, but really don't want to spend $50 each for a second set of new backpacks. I'm checking Marshalls today, but not with high hopes. They're boys and only want athletic backpacks, so no Jansport.

Glad I’m not imagining this! Good luck at Marshall’s everyone!

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by amybds View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I had smallish Under Armour backpacks for my smallish soon-to-be sixth graders that fit their frames, but then I tried to fit all their school supplies (stupid giant zip up binder) and it wasn't even close. I like the look of the Adidas Prime backpacks, but really don't want to spend $50 each for a second set of new backpacks. I'm checking Marshalls today, but not with high hopes. They're boys and only want athletic backpacks, so no Jansport.
    Saw lots of adidas, under armour, and Reebok bags at Marshals today! Dd2 had a hard time deciding between a Trans Jansport and a High Sierra, both $15. We went with the High Sierra, as the Jansport looked a bit too big for 5th grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by amybds View Post
    Adidas Prime iv was what I landed on last year for then 7th grade ds. It fit the huge zip up binder, the Spanish 2 inch traditional binder, gym clothes, etc. one year in, looks brand new. He will be using again. Check sales, etc. I think I got it at ebags last year.

I was so frustrated with the the depth of his prior backpacks I literally made a spreadsheet of h/l/d to compare.

I posted this earlier but Famous Footwear had Mission Plus backpacks for 35 a few weeks back, bogo 50 percent off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast