Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Any experience with a Partial Hysterectomy??

Does anyone have experience with having a Partial Hysterectomy?

I'm weighing the pros and cons.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There is such a thing as a partial hysterectomy???
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yes they taken the uterus and tubes and leave one or both ovaries It was an option I had but went with the ablation instead I have two friends who have had them. Both tried the ablation first but a couple years later had the partial hysterectomy for reoccurring issues. Both had it done vaginally and recovered fairly quickly
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    There is such a thing as a partial hysterectomy???
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    Yes they taken the uterus and tubes and leave one or both ovaries It was an option I had but went with the ablation instead I have two friends who have had them. Both tried the ablation first but a couple years later had the partial hysterectomy for reoccurring issues. Both had it done vaginally and recovered fairly quickly

I went in to have an ablation but I woke up in the recovery room with the doctor telling me that she was unable to do it. Apparently, if your uterus
    is too small or too big, they can't perform an ablation.

So, that is why my OB/GYN suggested a partial hysterectomy.
    Corie

-fortune cookie

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Any experience with a Partial Hysterectomy??

Let’s make sure we're all using the same terminology.

Traditionally, a "partial hysterectomy" refers to removing the uterus and tubes but NOT removing the cervix. A "hysterectomy" refers to removing the uterus, cervix and tubes. A "total hysterectomy" (or hysterectomy plus oophorectomy) refers to removing uterus, cervix, tubes and ovaries.

In practice, these terms may not all be used in this way, and the old "partial hysterectomy" that leaves the cervix probably is not done as often as it was in the past.

So, my guess is that Corie is really asking about a procedure that leaves the ovaries vs one that also removes the ovaries.

My experience was with a total hysterectomy for extensive endometriosis. Because of the remaining endometriomas, I was advised not to take any hormone replacement after the surgery. So, I was abruptly plunged into menopause at age 35, which was a bit of a shock. However, if I had been a candidate for hormone replacement, this wouldn’t have been a major issue.

A family member had a hysterectomy because of an enormous fibroid, but in her case, the ovaries were left, and her recovery was much easier than mine had been. Both of us had to have an abdominal incision, so the immediate post surgery recovery was probably similar to a c-section. I think recovery from a vaginal hysterectomy, when it can be done, is probably a lot quicker and easier.

Corie, anything in particular you want to know?

ETA: posting at the same time. Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like removal of uterus and leaving the ovaries.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by NCGrandma; 08-14-2019 at 09:39 AM.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    I went in to have an ablation but I woke up in the recovery room with the doctor telling me that she was unable to do it. Apparently, if your uterus
    is too small or too big, they can't perform an ablation.

So, that is why my OB/GYN suggested a partial hysterectomy.
    . Or abnormally shaped will also be a no go. My next door neighbor had a partial done just last year. She went on vacation 3 weeks later with her family. No lifting for several weeks sh had her every 2 week cleaning lady come in once a week for a month if I remember right. She said it was a little worse than her gallbladder surgery but wasn’t a bad recovery
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    . Or abnormally shaped will also be a no go. My next door neighbor had a partial done just last year. She went on vacation 3 weeks later with her family. No lifting for several weeks sh had her every 2 week cleaning lady come in once a week for a month if I remember right. She said it was a little worse than her gallbladder surgery but wasn’t a bad recovery
    I had a hysterectomy a few years ago that removed the cervix but left the ovaries. My recovery from the laproscopic surgery with vaginal route of removal was mostly painless. I minimal restrictions (I think just a few days of missed work.) I had laproscopic gallbladder surgery a couple years later and it was also an easy recovery.
    Because I kept my ovaries, I have not had any hormonal problems. I think I am in peri-menopause with the hot sweats and sleep issues, but I still get pain that I associate with ovulation every couple months. My problem was dysfunctional bleeding, so I never had pain with periods, just constant periods! It has been wonderful to not have to deal with that.
    mom to Billy 12/07

Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
    My problem was dysfunctional bleeding, so I never had pain with periods, just constant periods! It has been wonderful to not have to deal with that.

This is my problem too. I can't even imagine not having a period!
    Corie

-fortune cookie

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    This is my problem too. I can't even imagine not having a period!
    It is wonderful to not have a period! So freeing, can do anything at anytime and never wonder about if it’s the time of that month. Plus no birth control concerns.

Your experience with surgery and recovery will be very different of course.... I had my hysterectomy within an hour or so after my emergency C-section with my son, due to post partem hemorrhage. So it was a life saving procedure. It was extremely traumatic and hard to talk about without crying for years but I can now safely say that the fibroids that affected my life so heavily before ... periods with fibroids that caused embarrassing leaks and diarrhea due to to such heavy flow, stress, infertility before a myomectomy, multiple m/c losses after taking out the biggest orange sized fibroids, and then a high risk pregnancy and placental abruption at early delivery cause the fibroids growing next to the baby... my uterus needed to GO! They left my ovaries (can still tell when I’m ovulating by CM) and some cervix (still getting Pap Smears). I did Physical Therapy for awhile to work on my pelvic floor, and this was helpful.
    DS 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Zukini View Post

I can now safely say that the fibroids that affected my life so heavily before ... periods with fibroids that caused embarrassing leaks

This is me.
    Corie

-fortune cookie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast