Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    On our early release days we serve “brunch”, but it is typically just a regular school lunch. On regular days are earliest lunch is around 11:15 for Kinders, 11:30 for 1st-3rd, and then 12:15ish for 4th and 5th. Most schools in the area follow a similar schedule with maybe a 10 minute variance of those times. Minimum days (guess what you call early release days), “brunch” is served around 10:00 and 10:30, and is only a half hour long.

Also my district serves breakfast to all students every morning in the classroom, and then after school “hot supper” is served free to all students who want it on all school days, even minimum days. Free or reduced lunch requires parents to meet certain income requirements, but breakfast and supper are free to all students.
    Because so many students qualify for free or reduced lunch in our district, all kids get free breakfast, lunch and dinner.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Because so many students qualify for free or reduced lunch in our district, all kids get free breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    I wish all kids got free lunch here. I don’t know why as they provide free food for all other meals. I had several students last year who I am sure would qualify, but after sending home the form numerous times and even offering to help fill it out, the forms were never returned. Instead the kids racked up a bill of over $400. They won’t be able to graduate if their fees aren’t paid off.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Small public charter elementary school here (264 kids) and the kindergarteners eat first at noon and the rest of the kids at 12:30pm. School ends at 2:40pm. Thursday's dismissal is at 1pm and lunch is a few minutes earlier and they are dismissed immediately after.

DS1 is in high school and lunch is at noon I think and lasts 50 minutes.

Both schools are small and neither have a cafeteria. The lunches are brought in from outside vendors and parent volunteers distribute lunches each day at both schools. The students eat outside.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Elem 11.25 is earliest lunch. I'm switching grades this year and this is going to be my lunch I MUCH prefer having lunch at the latest which is 12:50 as I have been.

I think ms 1st lunch is at 11.

If there is school, lunch is served in our district. Even on the day before Thanksgiving where the day ends at 11:30!!! Normal early release days end at 1pm for Elementary. A few years ago, on the day before Thanksgiving there was no lunch served and people must have freaked because it came right back the next year.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

This year DS2 is attending kindergarten year at same school as big brother. It’s K-3rd grade school with 680 students, and they stagger each grade level to 3 different lunch periods from 11-1:30. I know kindergartens lunch is towards the later part of the day, and they tend to get a big sustainable snack we send to eat in late mornings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    Normal early release days end at 1pm for Elementary. A few years ago, on the day before Thanksgiving there was no lunch served and people must have freaked because it came right back the next year.
    With early release, kids who normally go to some sort of school aftercare are likely still going to that aftercare. They're just going earlier. So, if they don't each lunch at school, they could go the entire day morning/afternoon without a meal.

When our school did early release, I would pack a Lunchable or sandwich for DS to eat at aftercare. I figured he wouldn't eat his school-provided lunch since it was so close to breakfast, but he would be hungry around 2 or 3.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    With early release, kids who normally go to some sort of school aftercare are likely still going to that aftercare. They're just going earlier. So, if they don't each lunch at school, they could go the entire day morning/afternoon without a meal.

When our school did early release, I would pack a Lunchable or sandwich for DS to eat at aftercare. I figured he wouldn't eat his school-provided lunch since it was so close to breakfast, but he would be hungry around 2 or 3.
    Day before Thanksgiving, there is no aftercare. The goal is to get everyone home by 12 so we can all get in our cars and sit in traffic
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would say it is actually pretty typical. We had lunch as early as 10:15 in elementary school. Here is our current schedule:

Middle school - earliest lunch is 10:40am, latest starts at 12:50pm. School is 7:45am-3:00pm

High School - earliest lunch is 11:00am, latest is 12:55pm, School is 7:50am -3:05pm
    Same school district/times. One more challenge - the middle and high school are on block schedules, so 94 minute classes every other day. DD has won the lottery and had the 'best' lunch time both days both this year and last year (C lunch - maybe 12:25?). She still takes goldfish to school and most teachers allow snacking as desired. A friend has A lunch one day and D lunch the other - really hard to calibrate to that much variation, but trying to take more substantial snacks (CLIF bars, etc) instead of the standard goldfish.

In my experience, the kids/teachers learn to adjust. DD has had a couple teachers who initially didn't allow snacking but relatively quickly relented. Guessing they were new to teaching/the district, and realized that quiet snacking was way better than a room of hangry teenagers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3