Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The first lunch period in middle school is around 10:30, but there's no lunch on early release days for any of the schools. I didn't realize some towns still served lunch on early release days.

The kids are always allowed to eat a snack. In the older grades it just becomes a working snack.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    The first lunch period in middle school is around 10:30, but there's no lunch on early release days for any of the schools. I didn't realize some towns still served lunch on early release days.

The kids are always allowed to eat a snack. In the older grades it just becomes a working snack.
    It's a state requirement that lunch be served on half days for it to count as an official day of school. If there's a weather delay on a half day the kids pretty much just come in to eat.

Always striking how set in our terms we are too- I would never call it an early release day. Totally not a term here just like I imagine half day isn't for you.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Elementary starts about 9am and lunches were 11-12:30. The day ends at 4pm. Most teachers do a snack at some point.

Middle school starts at 7:30am and lunches are 10:45-12:15. The day ends at 2:30.

High school starts at 7:50am and lunches are 10:30-12:10. The day ends at 3pm.

Some of that changes on late start days. I know my 6th grader will likely skip breakfast in favor of more sleep, since he'll have lunch at 10:45. But my 8th grader will not go to lunch until 11:45 and will likely eat breakfast. They've changed the schedules since DS1 was at middle school, but in his 8th grade, they didn't go to lunch until 12:20 and he was starving unless he ate a biggish breakfast every day.

For our middle and high school, some kids are on the bus at 6am, so that adds to their morning time to get to lunch. Mine don't get on until 7, which helps a lot.
    Kris

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

School starts at 8:20 and lunch is 11:30.

At DS' school, K eats around 10:30. Last year in third grade, his class ate at 11:30, but another third grade class went at 11:15. There's a lot of overlap between the upper elementary grades -- there was a fourth grade class that went before DS' class. I think it has something to do with scheduling specials. School runs from 7:40 to 2:25 for everybody. I make sure DS has a couple of snacks each day.

And yes, on early release days, everything get moved up, although our school system seems to have done away with those as of last year.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

My 7th grader ate at 10:30 last year, and didn't get out until 4:00. Completely ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post

In elementary school lunch runs something like 11-1. Each grade gets 25 minutes but there is overlap.

I'm surprised by the above. It was my understanding that lunch has to be served for it to count to the 180 days of school. We are in MA as well. Early release school day is 9:05-12:40 so kids eat early but it's not like I can't feed them when they get home those days.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    In elementary school lunch runs something like 11-1. Each grade gets 25 minutes but there is overlap.

I'm surprised by the above. It was my understanding that lunch has to be served for it to count to the 180 days of school. We are in MA as well. Early release school day is 9:05-12:40 so kids eat early but it's not like I can't feed them when they get home those days.
    Not sure what the exact law is but all of our early release days definitely count toward the 180 days. It seems that serving lunch would just take away time from learning. Kids are in school for around 4 hours on the early release days.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post

I found this info here. http://www.doe.mass.edu/news/news.aspx?id=6682 (It's from 2012 so might be old information.)

1. Q: Can shortened school days (e.g., parent/teacher conferences, early release for a holiday, professional development) be counted toward the 180 school days?
      A: Shortened days may count toward the 180 school day requirement, but only the actual time spent on structured learning time can count towards the student learning time requirement of 900 hour requirement for elementary schools, 990 hour requirement for secondary schools, and 425 hour requirement for kindergarten.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

On our early release days we serve “brunch”, but it is typically just a regular school lunch. On regular days are earliest lunch is around 11:15 for Kinders, 11:30 for 1st-3rd, and then 12:15ish for 4th and 5th. Most schools in the area follow a similar schedule with maybe a 10 minute variance of those times. Minimum days (guess what you call early release days), “brunch” is served around 10:00 and 10:30, and is only a half hour long.

Also my district serves breakfast to all students every morning in the classroom, and then after school “hot supper” is served free to all students who want it on all school days, even minimum days. Free or reduced lunch requires parents to meet certain income requirements, but breakfast and supper are free to all students.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast