Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default To-Go breakfast ideas

Both my kids have zero period this year, so we have to leave the house at 6:45. DD says she’s not hungry that early in the morning, which I can understand. DS is happy to eat at all hours of the day. . Last year, breakfast on weekdays was typically scrambled eggs with toast. Or, if we were running late, almond butter on toast to eat in the car. What are somethings I can give DD to eat during passing period to tide her over to lunch? Ideally a protein that is easy to eat on the go. I could just give her extra lunch foods, but wanted to see if I could come up wit something more ‘breakfast-y’. We are vegetarian.

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I recently made sunbutter balls in advance of international travel. Basically oatmeal, honey and sunbutter. Peanut butter would definitely taste better though. I froze them - they thaw quickly and would seemingly be a perfect portable snack. I used only a touch of honey.

https://www.feastingonfruit.com/no-b...-recipes-16443

Baked oatmeal bars would be another good choice.

https://www.wellplated.com/oatmeal-breakfast-bars/

Baked oatmeal - loads of protein, easy to go and can be customized for your tastes. I am still making it using an old recipe I got on here years ago. Or protein balls - tons of recipes online. I frequently make a batch of these at the beginning of the week to get us through since we are out of the house by 7:00 most days.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you Kindra & Carolinamama! I would never have thought of protein balls. That sounds perfect for our situation. I’ve never made them and will check out the link/google. I especially like the idea of freezing them. My kids love baked oatmeal and I hadn’t thought about sending a square to school for breakfast. It’s perfect! Thank you!

DS is generally not into breakfast but will drink part of a (whey) protein or yogurt shake and take the rest for later. I buy the premade ones but you could make your own if you want. I find I prefer the Atkins version, not too artificial tasting or grainy. They are ridiculously priced in our grocery store so we have a sub for them with Amz that's a much better price.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Last year we would make smoothies in the blender and then freeze them the night before. Take them out of the freezer first thing when you wake up and let them thaw a bit on the counter then drink in the car on the way to school. I made them ahead in the taken toss cups with the flat lids. They stacked easily in the freezer that way and I’d just add a straw in the morning.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I recently made sunbutter balls in advance of international travel. Basically oatmeal, honey and sunbutter. Peanut butter would definitely taste better though. I froze them - they thaw quickly and would seemingly be a perfect portable snack. I used only a touch of honey.

https://www.feastingonfruit.com/no-b...-recipes-16443

Baked oatmeal bars would be another good choice.

https://www.wellplated.com/oatmeal-breakfast-bars/
    Those look good and easy, but that is a LOT of honey! How much did you use?

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    Those look good and easy, but that is a LOT of honey! How much did you use?
    For the sunbutter balls? A squirt!

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Baked Oatmeal! I make a pan almost once a week. this is the recipe I use

Baked Oatmeal

3 cups rolled oats
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    ¼ - ½ cup flax meal (optional)
    1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup milk
    2 eggs
    ½ c. nonsweetened applesauce (or ½ cup melted butter)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    ¼ - 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips or dried berries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients: oats, flax, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients: milk, eggs, melted butter or applesauce, and vanilla extract. Fold wet into dry ingredients. Stir in dried berries or chocolate chips. Spread into a 9x13-inch oiled baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes. After they cool, cut into bars, and store in a covered container on the counter. Enjoy!

Adapted from:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-o...ii/detail.aspx

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by echoesofspring View Post
    we have a sub for them with Amz that's a much better price.
    what one on AMZ do you use?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast