Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What I find interesting is that we call that strip the “parkway”. Never knew there were so many names for it.

I am a dog owner and 100%-poop-picker-upper. Sorry, OP, I cannot pick up pee or dictate where my dog pees on a walk. We do not wander off the sidewalk on walks, but he pees just to either side of the sidewalk on the grass. That is simply what dogs do and, IMO, to be expected when living in a neighborhood with sidewalks.

Potential yellow patches on the grass goes along with 100’s other things that are good and bad parts of suburban neighborhoods: lemonade stands, buying Girl Scout cookies, passing out candy on Halloween, welcoming new neighbors with baked goods, putting up with the next door neighbor who uses a leaf blower early on the weekend, etc. It is just a tiny annoyance that is part of the fabric of neighborhood life.

Putting any sort of chemical deterrent on the parkway that you have no idea how might affect or injure a beloved pet is, well, simply not cool in my book. If you are going to do that, At least put up a sign that says you have done so, allowing dog owners the chance to totally avoid the sidewalk in front of your house if they have a dog with allergies/chemical sensitivities.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNDMom View Post

Potential yellow patches on the grass goes along with 100’s other things that are good and bad parts of suburban neighborhoods: lemonade stands, buying Girl Scout cookies, passing out candy on Halloween, welcoming new neighbors with baked goods, putting up with the next door neighbor who uses a leaf blower early on the weekend, etc. It is just a tiny annoyance that is part of the fabric of neighborhood life.
    I tend to agree; I didn't realize how different dog ownership was, however, than the way I'd grown up with it - my childhood dog would, by today's standards, be considered "neglected" because we'd leave her outdoors on a lead during the day (always provided water for her & she had access to shade) and keep her in our garage at night - and the fact that dog owners now walk dogs vs. turning them out into the backyard for hours at a time is probably a better thing than that old thought.

Putting any sort of chemical deterrent on the parkway that you have no idea how might affect or injure a beloved pet is, well, simply not cool in my book. If you are going to do that, At least put up a sign that says you have done so, allowing dog owners the chance to totally avoid the sidewalk in front of your house if they have a dog with allergies/chemical sensitivities.
    I don't think I will do anything for the time being; I don't want to hurt someone's pet or their human family members, like crawling babies or toddlers.

When we first moved in, I actually took note of all the dogs here and bought ice melt that was marketed as being "pet safe" just to reduce the overall harm to their poor paws if I used it on our sidewalk.

I really needed the perspective and I appreciate all the advice and recommendations I've received in this thread. I may put up a sign for the lawn-proper, but I'll simply have to suck it up with the curb strip.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2