Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default How to Discourage Dogs from Urinating on Our Lawn?

Other than a sign for their owners, is there anything I can do to discourage the neighborhood dogs from urinating on my lawn & sidewalk verge? I have considered using cayenne pepper, but I feel like that could do unintentional harm rather than simply being an irritant/annoyance to the animals, so I would rather not. (I do use cayenne and red pepper flake to deter squirrels from digging up & eating fall bulbs/rhizomes, but squirrels are wild animals not pets.)

Both areas now have wilted/yellow spots and it took me a little bit of time to make the connection between the dogs' pee and the lawn damage. Fortunately, it's limited to single areas, but it's a little annoying. At least it's no longer feces; that dog's owner must have moved away.

Also, is there anything I can do to limit or reverse the damage?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Do you know if it's lose dogs or leashed dogs walking with an owner? A sign may help a leashed dogs, but if it's dogs just roaming the neighborhood, I don't know what you could do.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    Do you know if it's lose dogs or leashed dogs walking with an owner? A sign may help a leashed dogs, but if it's dogs just roaming the neighborhood, I don't know what you could do.
    They're all leashed dogs; we have a leash law in town. It hasn't been a problem until recently when a larger couple of dogs started using the mailbox post as a restroom. (I get it; they're dogs and they smell other dogs' scent, etc.)

The spot that is worse is on the verge (that strip of grass between the sidewalk and the curb) but there's a small area on my actual lawn that bothers me when I think about it, as it's exactly where DD walks on her way into the house. (We do remove our shoes upon entry.)

I'm not as concerned with the verge spot, but a few of the neighbors have put up lawn signs reminding dog owners that yards are not bathrooms.

Again, at least it's not poop - we have a poop pick-up ordinance in town and it's a regular reminder in the neighborhood newsletter.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There is a spray called "Boundary" that you could spray on your mailbox- that might deter dogs peeing there. Its nontoxic/harmful to dogs.

AFAIK, the spot you're calling "verge" I've never heard that term before - between the sidewalk & curb is city/town property. IMO, this is where dogs should be peeing rather than on your lawn, shrubs, flowers
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    AFAIK, the spot you're calling "verge" I've never heard that term before - between the sidewalk & curb is city/town property. IMO, this is where dogs should be peeing rather than on your lawn, shrubs, flowers
    We always called that the "berm" and it definitely was town property. A question that hadn’t occurred to me before: in towns where large sections of town do not have have sidewalks, is there usually any strip of grass at the edge of a yard that is town property? (Yeah, I know ... like most things, "it depends"!)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    There is a spray called "Boundary" that you could spray on your mailbox- that might deter dogs peeing there. Its nontoxic/harmful to dogs.
    Thanks!

It's actually part of our property assessment for taxes (etc.) and on the deed map for our lot, so, while I'd agree with you in principle, in reality, it's part of my lawn.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Dog owner here. I'm diligent about always cleaning up poop, respecting other people's space. I keep my dog on a six foot or shorter leash so pup is always that distance or less from the sidewalk or street but dogs have to stop to pee on walks. As an owner I can steer mine away from a specific pee spot but the concept of putting up signs for a full yard or even considering something potentially harmful to the dog like pepper seems out of proportion with a very common suburban occurance.

We've had luck fixing yellow spots in our own yard with lime from a local garden store. You might also try landscaping a little differently since the source will probably always be there in a suburban environment. You could also try plants in the area for something pretty and different. Hostas grow fast and cover area quickly. Our neighbors have a pretty monarch waystation garden by the street. Clover doesn't seem to turn yellow from dog pee so you might overseed the area by the street with that.
    Last edited by mikala; 09-07-2019 at 09:05 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That grassy strip (or as my friend in Cleveland called it growing up, “tree lawn”) is owned by homeowners here!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

In my opinion, dogs are lazy. If you can put up a barrier - even a short one - they will choose to go elsewhere. A short fence (18 inch) or similar shrubs my be enough to discourage them. If it were me, I would focus on the yard and let the verge go; giving the dogs an easier place my protect your yard.

Only a dog trainer can help with this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast