Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cuca_ View Post
    I think this is regional. OP Im not sure where you are but tipping was a thing when my kids went to day camp in NY. We are now in the midwest and all of the camps my kids have attended have a no tip policy. Same with sleep away camps. I have no advice re: specific tips, as we have not dealt with this in years.
    I'm in NY. I just told a friend I need to move somewhere where tipping everyone isn't the norm.

This was just a one week STEM program. The helpers don't get paid. The high school kids do it for credit. The middle school kids are "counselors in training" and parents pay for them to help. I paid for my oldest DD to be a CIT. Even she asked why do I have to pay for her to help. Anyway, I hope $5 doesn't seem cheap but any more than that, I'll be paying more in tip than for the program itself.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Baby Bargains mobile app

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    I'm in NY. I just told a friend I need to move somewhere where tipping everyone isn't the norm.

This was just a one week STEM program. The helpers don't get paid. The high school kids do it for credit. The middle school kids are "counselors in training" and parents pay for them to help. I paid for my oldest DD to be a CIT. Even she asked why do I have to pay for her to help. Anyway, I hope $5 doesn't seem cheap but any more than that, I'll be paying more in tip than for the program itself.

Westchester County? That's where I encountered the tipping practice. I found it annoying too. I think I would tip the head counselor for each kid and leave it at that. We have to pay for CITs here too, but its worth it, because they get their foot in the door.

Not a thing for me here. And I live in HCOL NJ, we do give small something to our kids counselors that’s with them for the 6 weeks each summer. Like iTunes GC. I gave DS1s counselor this year cuz it was 2nd year in a row he had the same counselor who is just fantastic with the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post

Camp Invention? I was very happy this year that DS1 is finally a volunteer. He did camp for 4 years, CIT for 3 and finally is old enough to be free, lol.

We've never thought to tip a camp counselor.
    Kris

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We tip here but only for full summer camps, not for one week camps.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I can't imagine tipping 8 counselors and 11 helpers! Was there one or two that really stood out? This sounds like a lot. My kids have never attended camp, but sounds like it is very specific to your area based on other responses.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have NEVER heard of tipping camp counselors!

This tipping/gift giving is getting to be a little much.... teachers, bus drivers, and aids multiple times a year.... Music teachers, coaches...

My DH says NO to all of it. I am starting to agree with him!

However, if there is a counselor that went above and beyond definitely send a note and/or small gift if you would like to. Just don't feel like you have to!

Jeanne is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I never tipped all the years my girls went to day camp all summer nor did any other parent. I used to bring a big treat tray each year at the end of the season for all the staff to much on that day.

I just came back from a science camp with my kids. One of the other parents tried to tip and our group leader refused (they weren't called counselors). It was uncomfortable as it was only one parent offering a tip, and our group leader was kind of a loud person and so she loudly refused. I had never thought about tipping. Maybe it's a NY specific thing?
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I agree
    Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    ?? None?? Is that a thing?? Oops.

I think if I did anything it would be to write to the director about your good experience and any noteworthy performance notes about the staff.
    I agree and most camps my kids have done allsay not to tip
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast