Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MomtoNico is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Washington dc- some quick questions

Thanks to everyone who responded to my previous post on Washington DC.
    Now just two quick questions:
    1- Are there a lot of places to eat in dc Area. My brother said there wasn’t a lot to eat?
    2- We are planning on bringing some food and water in a backpack. Is this allowed in all museums? If they don’t allow it do they have lockers I can put items in?
    3- I reserved tickets to the holocaust memorial museum- Are there Ny other museums I should reserve in advance? Thanks

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

1. ?? There are so many restaurants and since it’s such a melting pot, there’s so much good ethnic food! I guess around the mall it’s harder. But all the museums have food for sale and all but Air and Space are fine. Cascades Cafe in the Art Museum is our fave.
    Nowadays it’s so easy to find good places to eat. Just pull up google maps and search nearby. Reviews, menus...you’ll find good options.
    2. Never done it. I hate carrying anything more than the bare minimum. Bag check lines can be slow too- if I can avoid a bag that’s what I do.
    3. African American Museum, Capitol and Archives are the others people reserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

MomtoNico is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks a lot!

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We loved the food trucks at L'Enfant Plaza (behind Air and Space Museum), so many food choices, every type of ethnic food you can think of. When I looked quickly on Yelp when we were there, I didn't see a lot of good, quick food choices close to the mall. The food trucks were perfect, everyone got to pick the good they wanted

Many of the museums do have food choices, the national museum of the American Indian had really good food.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Another vote for the food trucks! Heck we just got hot dogs and they were great!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would travel as light as possible, and avoid bringing food unless you have food allergies.

It's always so humid, extra things to carry are a hassle.

I agree, use you phone to find new places to eat, I tend to go where the locals seem to be flocking.

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We really enjoyed the restaurant inside of the Capitol (where also BTW we reserved a tour in advance). Prices weren't actually that bad, and food was good. It was cafeteria style - so everyone found something they liked. VERY convenient.

Our first time experiencing the Smithsonian we ran into a HUGE line outside waiting to get in. (wrapped around the building!) Came to discover it was the line if you had a bag that needed to be searched. If you didn't have a bag (any size) you could walk right in. Needless to say from then on anything i needed was put in a fanny pack under my clothes to avoid carrying bags. I've honestly never seen any lockers.

We mainly only bought water and drinks from people selling on the streets. $1 beats having to carry a bag since most places you couldn't take open food or drink in anyway.
    Last edited by Mikey0709; 08-19-2019 at 11:46 AM.

DS2 has food allergies, so we always carry food and water with us in a backpack. We haven't had any problems bringing them into museums, but some of them (i.e. the art museums) will require you to carry them on your front. I think of the museums may have lockers, but we've been to so many museums in many different places so I can't remember the specifics on the DC museums.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Quote Originally Posted by MomtoNico View Post
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my previous post on Washington DC.
    Now just two quick questions:
    1- Are there a lot of places to eat in dc Area. My brother said there wasn’t a lot to eat?
    2- We are planning on bringing some food and water in a backpack. Is this allowed in all museums? If they don’t allow it do they have lockers I can put items in?
    3- I reserved tickets to the holocaust memorial museum- Are there Ny other museums I should reserve in advance? Thanks
    I have no idea what your brother is talking about. Like literally, no idea. The DC restaurant scene is now one of the best in the country There aren't a lot of chain restaurants though, is that his scene? If you need restaurant recs, I and others will be happy to help, I'm sure.

You can bring food and water into a museum with a backpack, but there's not a lot of places to eat the food. You can't walk around the museum eating, and the cafeterias are reserved for the people who buy food there. You can't just bring sandwiches for the fam and take up a table. If you just have food and plan to eat it elsewhere, you're good.

SB is right, the National Museum of African American History and National Archives all need reservations. And of course the White House and the Capitol. Oh, and I think the Bureau of Engraving, which is surprisingly interesting. Moneymoneymoneymoney!!!! But most of the museums you just walk in.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

There are great restaurants in DC and quite a range to satisfy many different needs--upscale gourmet ones for "hip" foodies, mid-range casual fare more suitable for families, plus relatively budget-friendly ethnic fare (e.g., DC has a great Ethiopian restaurant scene!). I'm really curious what your brother meant--maybe he's talking about specific areas of the District? On my recent business trip, I had a great breakfast bagel at Call Your Mother deli, a simple lunch at Busboys and Poets (casual fare), and dinner at Dirty Habit (a "hip" upscale bar/restaurant where a work event was taking place on the outdoor patio). All 3 offered delicious food. If I had more time, I had hoped to try Tail Up Goat (a friend saw the Obamas there but they also have a great menu) and Rasika (upscale Indian food).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast