Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I think the car thing is silly. We live in a development of 1950s track homes 15 miles SE of Downtown LA and cars not being parked in garages is normal here. I see a lot of electric cars and lots of trucks and or SUVs. The way a lot of developments in my city and the big city next to us is that some houses have rear garages (like mine) or even have tiny one car garages that barely fit a compact car and are tight fitting for a mid size Honda Accord. We haven’t had a car in our garage since we sold our 2001 Corolla in 2013. Trucks are useful imho and I don’t think they have any political affiliation at all. I know plenty of liberal leaning people who own trucks or large SUVS that may not fit in a standard garage.
    I know it's silly, but my DH is born and raised on the east coast and that's what stood out to him when looking at houses online!!! It wouldn't have even crossed my mind. And it has nothing to do with using garages or parking on the street (our house also has a garage behind the house and we can only park in the driveway and on the street), but to him pickup truck = more conserve apparently. Obviously the little Sherman Oaks/Encino/Studio City valley bubble we live in is extremely liberal compared to San Diego and orange county, which is why DH would never want to live in those areas. I longed to move back home to SD for about 12 years to be near my mom, but now I'd prefer for her to move up here as we prefer the diversity of LA, especially with having multiracial kids.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default anyone live in the san diego area

Essnce, move to Long Beach.... super diverse and only 90 minutes to north county without traffic! He he....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I think that's what OP meant by "walkable", not just you could take a walk, at least that's how I took it when I mentioned Hillcrest and North Park as walkable neighborhoods in SD. And when I lived in LA I could walk to TJs and neighborhood restaurants. I lived on the Westside which I think has more walkable neighborhoods...although parts of Pasadena and Echo Park are walkable too.
    Hillcrest is definitely walkable when it comes to walking to restaurants and stores and they have Trader Joe's and Whole Foods! I lived right next door in North Park all through high school and I think North Park has definitely improved since then. You'd definitely want to use private schools if you live there though. If you look at houses on Redfin then look at their walkability score (closer to 100 is ideal).

And there's definitely some walkable neighborhoods in LA Bisous. I'm in Sherman Oaks, just 2 blocks from Ventura and can easily walk to dozens of independent restaurants, coffee shops, the mall, the park, the library, and Trader Joe's. Plus they're building a new Whole Foods (the 3rd in Sherman Oaks) just a block from my house. It's great!!! Our walkability score is 80/100.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Essence, move to Long Beach.... super diverse and only 90 minutes to north county without traffic! He he....

My 27 year old half sister, who has been in Wichita KS her whole life may be moving next door to Long Beach next year, so maybe I'll get down there! All I know is she needs to get out of Kansas!

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I know it's silly, but my DH is born and raised on the east coast and that's what stood out to him when looking at houses online!!! It wouldn't have even crossed my mind. And it has nothing to do with using garages or parking on the street (our house also has a garage behind the house and we can only park in the driveway and on the street), but to him pickup truck = more conserve apparently. Obviously the little Sherman Oaks/Encino/Studio City valley bubble we live in is extremely liberal compared to San Diego and orange county, which is why DH would never want to live in those areas. I longed to move back home to SD for about 12 years to be near my mom, but now I'd prefer for her to move up here as we prefer the diversity of LA, especially with having multiracial kids.

Actually, a couple of political scientists have published a book that argues that choice of vehicles, plus some other choices, are associated with liberal/conservative outlook. Latia's DH might enjoy it!

Here’s the book:
    https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-328-86678-3

(I've heard one of the authors present the underlying study, and it has more depth than the popular book suggests. And he pointed out that the title — Prius or Pickup? — came from the marketing dept, not the authors...)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Actually, a couple of political scientists have published a book that argues that choice of vehicles, plus some other choices, are associated with liberal/conservative outlook. Latia's DH might enjoy it!

Here’s the book:

(I've heard one of the authors present the underlying study, and it has more depth than the popular book suggests. And he pointed out that the title — Prius or Pickup? — came from the marketing dept, not the authors...)
    I'm glad you mentioned this, because I felt I had heard something about a correlation but I couldn't remember details.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post

Here’s the book:

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Interesting! May be a good Christmas present for DH! He also worked for an electric car company for awhile so has a general interest in electric cars and is on his second one personally.

But like I said previously, I don't know a single person in real life in Los Angeles who is a Trump supporter OR anyone who owns a pickup truck. I can't say the same for San Diego so maybe the study and my DH are on to something!

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

And there's definitely some walkable neighborhoods in LA Bisous. I'm in Sherman Oaks, just 2 blocks from Ventura and can easily walk to dozens of independent restaurants, coffee shops, the mall, the park, the library, and Trader Joe's. Plus they're building a new Whole Foods (the 3rd in Sherman Oaks) just a block from my house. It's great!!! Our walkability score is 80/100.

We’re not far from there in Burbank and walk all the time too. I love walking around in my neighborhood!

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    Thank you all! This is so helpful. Wondering if there is an area that is less about strip malls and more neighborhood walkable. Job would be in Poway area. I don't mind a bit of a commute. Bonus if the middle and high schools are good (we are out of elementary). Also possible to consider private schools (public would be the preference). THANK YOU!
    There are some parts of Poway that would be considered walkable, especially as the city is undergoing a bit of a revitalization push (it's very slow though)- near Old Poway Park has some neighborhoods with larger lots, but if you're looking for more land then North Poway is probably a better fit (pricier too). We live on the east end of Poway and can ride our bikes down to the town center pretty easily, and there's a great farmer's market on Saturdays that we love to frequent. Rancho Bernardo is great too, but I wouldn't call it particularly walkable. It does get warmer inland, but it's not unbearable- I lived in my current house without AC for years until I was pregnant with DD2 who has a late August birthday!
    Middle schools/high schools in Poway Unified are all highly rated- DD1 doesn't attend the middle school we are zoned for because we wanted her in an academy program at another middle school, but I would've been comfortable with her at our neighborhood school too. She'll be going to our neighborhood high school despite the fact that the high school I teach at is the most highly rated in the district, and honestly I would be ok with her at any of the 5 comprehensive high schools in our district if we had to choose.
    Private school options for HS: Cathedral Catholic, Bishop's, La Jolla Country Day are options that are frequently mentioned. Francis Parker down by University of San Diego is also well regarded.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My 27 year old half sister, who has been in Wichita KS her whole life may be moving next door to Long Beach next year, so maybe I'll get down there! All I know is she needs to get out of Kansas!

Well it will be different for sure!

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3