Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Fleece jacket plus package down jacket. Hat, scarf, and gloves. Nothing bulky. No need for long underwear. Wear regular pants. Bring warm/longish socks (so your bare ankles aren’t exposed.).

Wool is overkill. Ski gloves are overkill. Waterproof boots are overkill. I’m originally from so cal and live in the cold Midwest. I’ve never worn long underwear.
    All of this.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Packable down jackets. Fleece jacket. A few long sleeve shirts. May fav gloves for moderate weather are tnf tech gloves. But target has excellent gloves. I like their thicker running style type from c9. Bring an extra pair or two. They aren’t out yet online but I bet they will be soon.

I don’t wear long underwear for every day type things no matter the weather but a long underwear type shirt - no compression - will keep you warmer in longer walks.

For shoes, I would look into some waterproof leather booties from blondo or le caniediennes.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would buy and bring the long underwear. Just the C9 kind from Target, very affordable and easily rolled for packing. Cold kids are miserable and France in the winter is so cold.
    K

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

30 degrees is not real winter
    -with love from New England
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

CA native here who lived in southern France. I haven’t done Paris in the winter but I lived in Provence and didn’t wear anything more than a jacket, gloves and a scarf. And I wore a skirt everyday (I was a missionary). They have a beastly cold wind that blows every so often in winter called the mistral but I think with layers I could make my typical so cal wardrobe work! I can’t speak for Paris though!

Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    30 degrees is not real winter
    -with love from New England

I think I mentioned we are very soft nearly native Californians, right?

bisous: I read about the Mistral in the South, which is why I know we definitely need good windbreakers. I also know Paris tends to be colder which is why I wanted to spend more time in the South.

Thanks again to all! I'm so relieved this isn't going to be an entire wardrobe update, mostly just accessories and long underwear (which makes me think of the itchy stuff Laura Ingalls Wilder wore but we'll get the silky smooth stuff from Uniqlo or Target!).

We moved from Southern California to New Jersey about a year and a half ago. I wore wool socks reguraly and owned thermals in California. I grew up in the foothills in San Gabriel Valley it took going to college in Phoenix to understand frost. I love Costco for easily allowing us to stock up on layers, gloves and jackets. It is more than just the temperature but humidity and air movement. To me cold people are miserable. If I keep my feet and legs warm I can deal with a lot. I bought liners for my boots that make a world of difference to me.

Sierra

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post

I think I mentioned we are very soft nearly native Californians, right-but we'll get the silky smooth stuff from Uniqlo or Target!).
    The Uniqlo heattech long underwear rocks! I get the extra or ultra warm to wear when I am outside in below 30 degree weather all day. If you are moving around and going in and out of doors the lighter stuff should suffice. That and fleece and you should be fine.
    DS 2/09

DS1 and I were in Europe last year during winter - Scotland, London and Paris. We had a bit of snow in Scotland and of course rain in London. Layers were the key to our wardrobe. Important parts were my heavy but fitted Northface fleece, waterproof/windproof Marmot jacket, wool scarf and gloves (I like these for warmth and like that I could still easily use my phone for pictures https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/wo...nId=JK3#hero=0 ). On really chilly days, I wore a sweater underneath everything. I don't like winter hats unless it is REALLY cold but YMMV.

For low in the 30s I think you can wear whatever warm shoes are most comfortable with Smartwool socks except in rain or snow. I packed 3 pairs of shoes - Nike Freeruns, cute tennis shoes and a pair of black leather, waterproof Teva boots. They aren't exactly like these but pretty similar I think - https://www.teva.com/women-boots/ell...f/1103224.html. They worked great for cold, rainy weather and were pretty comfortable for all the walking. Others in our group had more hiking style boots for those days as did DS1.

I don't like to be cold (does anyone??) and find that good gloves and a warm scarf make a world of difference. Have a great trip!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    DDs don't wear boots so I need to figure out comfortable options that they can break in before our trip. I don't know if their Adidas or Converse sneakers make sense in cold rainy weather. When it rains here, we wear our rain boots but those are too big and awkward to bring on vacation.
    Would your DDs wear hiking boots/shoes? Something like this that is waterproof: https://www.keenfootwear.com/en-ca/p...gid=kids_girls

My DS wears Columbia hiking shoes (like these: https://www.columbia.com/mens-newton...or=231#start=5) for most of the winter (and we are in Canada). Apparently it is not "cool" to wear real winter boots past a certain age (sigh...).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast