Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: would you move

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I must say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE living in Southern California. Others have mentioned that they prioritize traffic and schools. I guess I prioritize weather and beauty. You can live the good life all year round. To me it has many of the trappings of paradise! And maybe its because my bio Dad lives in SD (so we would visit him twice a year and he always had fun outings for us) but I think San Diego is FUN! It has museums (Balboa Park), and nature, and the beach, and sporting events. It maybe be conservative (which isn't a bad thing to me but YMMV) but my stepmom is super liberal and lives in SD so it can't be too bad, right? Anyway, OP can you visit? I find it hard to believe that anyone visiting Poway (or Rancho Bernardo) won't just love it.
    I agree, I feel like SoCal, and really California in general, is just more fun. I do like where I live now, and there are a LOT worse places to live, but I still miss the California lifestyle. I don't think the COL, once you get rid of housing, is any more expensive than big cities on the East Coast. And San Diego traffic isn't even that bad. SD is very spread out, and it's not like everyone works in one location that everyone's trying to get to (like Manhattan or DC).

OP, I hope you come to the right decision for your family.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default would you move

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    One 84 on a subtest gets my kids services. Is an 86 really average? Those kids are super behind, struggling in school. Hw takes them forever.

A teacher or a tutor is not able to help like a slp can, they are simply not qualified.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Each test has its own average range based on sample of people used during the design ofthe test. Most tests I use, average range for standard score is 85-115. Our Lang tests are based on developmental norms and not academic tests.

Struggling in class can also be due to inappropriate curriculum. What I see taught in K classroom is not developmentally appropriate for a child of K age. What’s appropriate is play and not sitting and writing a complete sentence. I have K teachers upset I won’t pick up a K student and I show them developmental norms for the skills, and that the child is right where they’re supposed to be for their age. The curriculum is inappropriate.

And don’t get me started on homework - research have shown it’s of no benefit, but let’s pile it on!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 08-20-2019 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I agree, I feel like SoCal, and really California in general, is just more fun. I do like where I live now, and there are a LOT worse places to live, but I still miss the California lifestyle. I don't think the COL, once you get rid of housing, is any more expensive than big cities on the East Coast. And San Diego traffic isn't even that bad. SD is very spread out, and it's not like everyone works in one location that everyone's trying to get to (like Manhattan or DC).

OP, I hope you come to the right decision for your family.
    Me three, I would love to move back.

sdjeppa is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

TwinFoxes, I don’t disagree with you, and it wasn’t just your comment. I just wanted to point out that CA is so huge, not all CA schools are the same. I agree too, each district is different with how they spend their money, but parent involvement and PTAs are relied on for a lot, which isn’t fair to struggling areas. And you do have to research schools, there are so many that are good and bad which is really hard for a parent. Our district also has an unusually high refugee population that has its own challenges. I disagree with how little our state funds our schools and keeps taking more away from them. I’m on site council and it’s pretty crazy how little our schools have to work with.

Some LA schools don’t have a library? That sounds so crazy! I can’t imagine not having one.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes I would move. I was marveling this weekend while out on a harbor cruise, at how beautiful Newport is at sunset. The weather was perfect. I have a few colleagues at my old work who moved from Europe and they feel like it's perfect for their families. They are in OC (so not SD) but OC is similar to SD in many ways. California living is fantastic.
    DD
    DS

If you like the area and the job, I would absolutely consider moving. I moved frequently growing up for my dad's job. I ended up in 3 highschools. But it was ok and I thrived. So I believe that your kids will be fine and learn new skills in adaptability in the process. There will be challenges everywhere whether it's with the school system, weather, COL etc. but if the area and job seem to be great and your family feels it would increase your quality of life, I would go for it!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

We are in NorCal but I've visited San Diego and it seems to offer similar benefits (e.g., incredible weather, more diverse ethnic and racial communities than typical American cities, a wide array of cultural activities, good jobs, highly educated folks, access to ocean/mountains/lakes/forests for outdoor activities). Cost-of-living is the biggest drawback, but there is also the risk of earthquakes.

I'm in a two earner household, but I imagine the pressure to be the primary breadwinner is quite intense. Thus, I think this offer is very attractive despite the need to uproot your family. Best wishes figuring this out.

amandabea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would relocate my family to San Diego for a small pay cut — I’m in Los Angeles area now and well compensated.
    mommy to DD 1/07

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

What a great opportunity! If the COL doesn't eat up that 2x salary, yes, I'd definitely consider it. Are you leaving behind family support? If not, that makes it even a stronger case. I agree with you that winters get harder and harder each year and I do think that it's harder to live an active lifestyle when winter months are so long and cold, so unless the COL is prohibitive, this would seem like a increase in quality of life.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It will depend on how you feel when you actually get there, drive around the target neighborhood, driving during rush hours etc. Like I said in another thread, I grew up where there were 4 seasons and so much green space, trees, lakes etc. When I lived in SD we very occasionally went to the beach, usually just to walk, it's pretty cold and I don't love the salt water or surf. I really missed open spaces and green grass and fall and winter . We went to Big Bear once and it was nice but it's not like an every weekend trip.

We had a great time living there for 6 years, but moved due to housing prices in 2003 and an opportunity for our family that worked for us.

It's important when you visit to make sure that you don't just look at the pretty tourist spots, spend time looking at what your family would need, even visiting a high school to see what services they have (ask for class size and how many resources are available).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8