Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: would you move

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Her high schooler will be a freshman, not a senior (which would be the worst time to move, imo).

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Sorry, I thought someone mentioned being a senior.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    That’s what I think too. Quality of life is worth so much to me and OP will have to do some thinking about whether uprooting life for some more money (which may or may not be that much once cost of living is factored in) is worth it. OP didn’t mention the job being really awesome/engaging/exciting... like I said, all I heard was one real pro- money.
    You may not have seen her edit, but she hates NE weather. As far as quality of life, SD is really easy compared to the east coast. And if OP likes outdoor living, you can't beat SD. I know SD has high housing prices, but so does Boston if that's where OP is (I could be mistaken about that.) The rest of COL in San Diego isn't that high.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Her high schooler will be a freshman, not a senior (which would be the worst time to move, imo).
    Moving a freshman would definitely be better. I moved during Christmas break of my junior year of HS — that was pretty awful!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    You may not have seen her edit, but she hates NE weather. As far as quality of life, SD is really easy compared to the east coast. And if OP likes outdoor living, you can't beat SD. I know SD has high housing prices, but so does Boston if that's where OP is (I could be mistaken about that.) The rest of COL in San Diego isn't that high.
    For quality of life I meant work/ life balance. I wouldn't want to move to a job that uproots everyone and has me stuck in an office 80 hours a week. Having time for living vs working.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The other thing I would consider is that if you get the 2x salary plus stock options offer...it likely means you can get a higher offer in a third job if you wanted (or negotiate w your current company). I don’t know your industry so I don’t know how likely that is...but the choices are probably not only “stay in my current job in Boston at my current salary until retirement” or “move right now to San Diego”.

So personally I wouldn’t do it because the extra salary wouldn’t be worth leaving things here that I value. But if you always wanted to move to California, or really like that job in particular, obviously the equation changes. But just for 2x salary, no, I wouldn’t. But that’s me.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

No I would not move to Cali for 2x my DH's salary. He's from CA and would never move back. Crazy housing market public school issue high taxes etc.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wait the option is 2X the salary AND you get to live in CA? Seriously absolutely yes move 100%. CA snob here but I’d honestly take a pay CUT to live here forever. I know it’s not for everyone but I'm of the mind that there’s no better place to live. I would definitely look into options at schools. Our schools have way less funding than other states. But at your income level you’ve got options that should work. I think San Diego is wonderful. My dad lives in Rancho Bernardo (adjacent to Poway) and my half brother attended the high school there. Again, I think it would be amazing and you’ll love it!!

I would strongly consider it.
    I live in CA myself and love it, so there's that. But also, I think there is value in moving and starting in a new environment.

We have lived in the same house for my children's whole lives. My sophomore has the same friends he has had since kindergarten.
    This is lovely and great in many ways *BUT* I worry about my children as they move on. They have not developed the resiliency that comes with moving and starting over. They do not have experience with having to make new friends and branching out and taking risks.

I went to 3 high schools (Southern US/Europe/PA) and while in many ways it did suck, but also I had a lot of great experiences. I do know I will always be able to make friends wherever I am.
    Also my DH and I have talked about how moving does bring a family closer together because you rely on each other more. In our current environment, we all have so many friends that we can all just do our own thing all the time if we want.

Anyways, I know moving always comes up as a negative but I see many positive benefits as well.
    Sweetie Pies, DS 9/2004 & DS 4/2008

I would do it! I’m from CA originally, so I love the warm weather. If my DH could earn twice his salary there, we would move in a heartbeat
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast