Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: would you move

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Is twice the salary an upgrade COL wise? I was considering an LA area job last year and after doing the math, we would have needed it to be at least 3 times my salary in order for the move to be worthwhile. I declined to pursue it for that reason. However, if the weather drives you insane, it might be worth if your mental well being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default would you move

The issue will be schools. You’ll have to see if you can get similar options to where your boys currently attend. Housing will be more, you won’t get a comparable house without spending a lot more money, but that can be dealt with. Schools are the tricky part.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

What is the likelihood of you actually staying with this company until retirement? Or is the stock not dependent upon length of service - fully vested and not just options? Is this a mature stock, poised for growth, or could it not be worth what you are hoping.

I see people come and leave at very high levels in the org so it would give me great pause to pickup and move cross country. Could very well be industry specific.

How easily would it be to land another job if you were let go from this opportunity? Is there more oppty there?

Sounds like there's a lot monetary oppty but I think it will quickly get eaten up by housing/schooling and other COL items. I would recommend taking a look and seeing just how far this new budget will take you and what happens if you are impacted.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach_in_Ca View Post
    I would strongly consider it.
    I live in CA myself and love it, so there's that. But also, I think there is value in moving and starting in a new environment.

We have lived in the same house for my children's whole lives. My sophomore has the same friends he has had since kindergarten.
    This is lovely and great in many ways *BUT* I worry about my children as they move on. They have not developed the resiliency that comes with moving and starting over. They do not have experience with having to make new friends and branching out and taking risks.

I went to 3 high schools (Southern US/Europe/PA) and while in many ways it did suck, but also I had a lot of great experiences. I do know I will always be able to make friends wherever I am.
    Also my DH and I have talked about how moving does bring a family closer together because you rely on each other more. In our current environment, we all have so many friends that we can all just do our own thing all the time if we want.

Anyways, I know moving always comes up as a negative but I see many positive benefits as well.
    I agree with this. I moved before 10th grade, but I had also moved many times before that and always knew another move was imminent as my Dad was in the military. The older I got the more grief I gave my parents during moves but I never regretted them once I was settled into my new school.

We moved my rising 9th grader and 6th grader this summer (the first move since oldest was 18mo) but it’s an unfair comparison since our move is temporary, likely 1 school year and then we return to the same home and schools. They didn’t want to move but I want them to learn that life sometimes sends you challenges and you can rise to them. We don’t always get to live where we want. We live where there’s a job that will provide for the family and we support Dad when he gets a really good job opportunity. The military brat in me wants to tell them, “Suck it up, Buttercups!”

Anyway, my kids are headed to a really great private school that will make the curriculum transitions much easier. School would be my primary concern if I were moving to California. I moved there in 7th grade and it was definitely a step back from PA.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You mentioned Poway. One of DH's good friends moved near there. I thought it was called 4 square ranch but I just looked it up and apparently it's 4S Ranch, near Rancho Bernardo. Beautiful home (expensive, but we were just in Boston and it didn't seem cheap there, either!), good schools, and the neighbors have been wonderful. Your older son is right around their kids' age. They are very happy. They are not conservative (that I'm aware of) themselves, not sure about neighbors. Great hiking opportunities nearby. They have mentioned that there are lots of engineers and executive types in their subdivision.

I have family that live in the Poway area, and they are happy there, too. Good schools, neighborhood has grown a lot in the past 20 years but still has some small town feel to it. We visit before Christmas every year and drive around to see the fantastic neighborhood light displays. The neighborhoods with the big light displays hold block parties to kick of the light display season, which we've stumbled upon a couple of times. it's very festive and fun. If we miss the block party, there's always someone out with a fire pit and kids selling hot cocoa. I look forward to visiting every year.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I don’t know. My concerns would be the ones I listed in the other San Diego post: col and keeping the same kind of lifestyle you are used to.

People from other states bag in California public schools all of the time and I honestly don’t think it is fair. I grew up outside of Sacramento and I knew plenty of classmates who were ready for college and got into plenty of great schools from Cal, UC Santa Barbara, UC San Diego, San Diego State, University of Oregon, UCLA, USC, UC Davis, Washington, and maybe some random well known schools across the US. My cousin went to Berkeley High and graduated in 2010 and went to Miami University-Ohio and said her IB program in high school was harder than her freshman and sophomore years in college. In the big city next to me I know students who in the last 10 years have gone through tough IB or other highly challenging college prep programs and have gotten into Boston University, Yale, and SMU all with academic scholarships as well. I am sure there are similar challenging programs in the San Diego area. High school imho is what you make of it.

We are moving an hour away next year due to dh’s job relocation so DD1 will be a freshman and DD2 will be entering 5th grade. We are moving because we will get more house and potentially won’t have to spend what we are spending now so we can save more money for college.

I would really have to think about moving cross country to another, but for the right job I would seriously consider it and hope for the best in regards to neighbors and potential new friends.

Would your mom move with you?

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Annie, smart kids without issues will do fine anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    People from other states bag in California public schools all of the time and I honestly don’t think it is fair. I grew up outside of Sacramento and I knew plenty of classmates who were ready for college and got into plenty of great schools from Cal, UC Santa Barbara, UC San Diego, San Diego State, University of Oregon, UCLA, USC, UC Davis, Washington, and maybe some random well known schools across the US. My cousin went to Berkeley High and graduated in 2010 and went to Miami University-Ohio and said her IB program in high school was harder than her freshman and sophomore years in college. In the big city next to me I know students who in the last 10 years have gone through tough IB or other highly challenging college prep programs and have gotten into Boston University, Yale, and SMU all with academic scholarships as well. I am sure there are similar challenging programs in the San Diego area. High school imho is what you make of it.
    I'm a product of California public schools K-12 and then UC Berkeley. The difference between where I live now where our schools are consistently ranked #1 in the country is you just send your kids to whatever school is your neighborhood school, and don't worry about them getting a good education. In LA, my friends are applying to magnets/charters, jumping through all kinds of hoops to get into a good school, or throwing up their hands and going to private schools. I volunteered in LAUSD when I lived there (pre-kids) and I was shocked. They literally didn't have paper in the school I volunteered in. There's no way kids there are on an equal footing to the kids here no matter how much they try to make of it. My kids' school has a nurse, school psychologists, school social workers, band, strings, STEAM, ART, PE, multiple assemblies, we have a big re-enactment of a Colonial village every year. So many things that I know have been done away with in a lot of California schools. Also, if your cousins were in GATE (or whatever it's called now), they get more funding and opportunities than non-GATE kids. I was in GATE growing up and we got music, non-GATE kids didn't. The big thing here is whether or not language-immersion programs will get funded (French, Spanish, German, Korean and Japanese). Even though my kid is in immersion it's really hard for me to get worked up about it when I know what LAUSD is like.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I honestly don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer, but I think you have to take $ out of the equation regarding the stock and retirement and ask yourself if it would still be worth the move. I worked for a company years ago with stock that was a hefty nest egg...until the stock tanked and it became worthless. Thank goodness I was fairly early in my career and hadn’t been counting on it to make any life decisions!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I'm a product of California public schools K-12 and then UC Berkeley. The difference between where I live now where our schools are consistently ranked #1 in the country is you just send your kids to whatever school is your neighborhood school, and don't worry about them getting a good education. In LA, my friends are applying to magnets/charters, jumping through all kinds of hoops to get into a good school, or throwing up their hands and going to private schools. I volunteered in LAUSD when I lived there (pre-kids) and I was shocked. They literally didn't have paper in the school I volunteered in. There's no way kids there are on an equal footing to the kids here no matter how much they try to make of it. My kids' school has a nurse, school psychologists, school social workers, band, strings, STEAM, ART, PE, multiple assemblies, we have a big re-enactment of a Colonial village every year. So many things that I know have been done away with in a lot of California schools. Also, if your cousins were in GATE (or whatever it's called now), they get more funding and opportunities than non-GATE kids. I was in GATE growing up and we got music, non-GATE kids didn't. The big thing here is whether or not language-immersion programs will get funded (French, Spanish, German, Korean and Japanese). Even though my kid is in immersion it's really hard for me to get worked up about it when I know what LAUSD is like.
    LAUSD now gives very little funding for GATE. It is minimal like a few hundred dollars per school. It isn't even enough to take the group on a field trip. They have focused all of their funds on intervention.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast