Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Family tech updates help?

I'm realizing that our tech as a family needs a bit of an overhaul.

DH and I have phones, obviously. I just ordered the new iPhone 11 pro, DH has a 7+ and doesn't have any interest in upgrading currently.

We have a very old iPad...I bought it in 2013. It's becoming so slow it's almost unusable, but the kids use it for Youtube sometimes.

I also have a similar aged Macbook (2014 I think) that I only use occasionally, if I need to send a longer email from home (or post here!) but 90% of the time I'm on my phone.

I've been thinking about buying a new Ipad for myself...one with the detachable keyboard to take notes in meetings, but also as a web surfing tool, emailing tool, and e-reader. Maybe some light word processing if I am traveling, but I don't travel all that frequently (3-4x/year).

DH is thinking about buying a laptop for DS for Christmas...he's been using mine pretty frequently to write stories, and he has some homework apps that don't work very well on the old iPad.

I'm wondering if there is some way to combine all this so that we end up with something current and versatile. I guess I could give DS my Macbook and only use an iPad but I still may occasionally need a home computer. I think if DS gets his own computer, DD will expect something equal but I think she's really too young to use a computer, so I wonder if I should get two iPads with keyboards? That way I could have one, DS could have one, and DD could still use the old one for Youtube. Or would it be better to get a Chromebook type of thing for DS?

I'm so confused. I used to be pretty tech savvy and now feel so old and out of touch!
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Both of your kids are too young for computers. Even my 8th grade doesn’t have one.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Both of your kids are too young for computers. Even my 8th grade doesn’t have one.
    I just let me 5th grader use my laptop if needed to look something up or type.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    What do they do when they need to type a report, etc.? Or if they need to do a math facts app or whatnot? I was typing reports in 2nd-3rd grade on a shared family computer, and that was many many many moons ago...we currently don't really have anything he can really use for that.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’d get a new iPad and laptop for family use. Agree that kids don’t need their own. DC used my laptop until middle school. If you want your own iPad then get one for yourself and one for kids to share.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    What do they do when they need to type a report, etc.? Or if they need to do a math facts app or whatnot? I was typing reports in 2nd-3rd grade on a shared family computer, and that was many many many moons ago...we currently don't really have anything he can really use for that.
    A family computer is a worthwhile investment. Kids that age don’t need their own computer. But, something like a desktop is handy for everyone. I much prefer it to my laptop.

If you get something for your ds, try a Chromebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I think the difference between a "family laptop" and "DS's laptop" is sort of semantic, but not a bad point.

I guess the choices would be:
    1) get a new laptop for me; pass down old macbook as "family" computer; new "family" iPad
    2) keep macbook for me, buy myself a new iPad, buy a new "family" iPad and hope DS can do all of his work on this
    3) keep macbook for me, buy myself a new iPad, buy a new "family" Chromebook for DS to do his work

Chromebook is cheaper, but I am just so unfamiliar with them.
    I think iPad would be better for traveling and can double as an e-reader and I don't know if Chromebook can do that.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Coming at this as a mom of a high schooler, a real family computer is helpful. We got him his own laptop junior year. There has never been a need for one.
    Family vs his sounds semantic but if you gift him something, will he willingly share with dd? A kid that age just doesn’t need their own computer but a real family computer would be a lot easier for them to write and study on.

I have a chrome book and it does what I need for a lot of things (internet and google docs).

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Coming at this as a mom of a high schooler, a real family computer is helpful. We got him his own laptop junior year. There has never been a need for one.
    Family vs his sounds semantic but if you gift him something, will he willingly share with dd? A kid that age just doesn’t need their own computer but a real family computer would be a lot easier for them to write and study on.

I get it, I do! I am not married to the Xmas present idea, TBH. And he will share (or lose the computer) if I ask him to!

We don't really have a great location for a "shared" computer (DH has his own office, the kids and I share an office but each have our own desks). But anyway, I'm more interested in getting the right devices so that we can all accomplish what we want and need to do. I don't really like sharing a computer with him. I'm just not sure the correct thing to buy.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast