Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default what to ask for for radon mitigation system

Radon levels came back slightly elevated (4) and sellers will put in a mitigation system of our choosing- what do we ask for? I've read we should have input because some sellers (not ours) might pick the cheapest mitigation system they can find in order to proceed with the sale. It's a radon-heavy area, which is new to us as an issue.

lil_acorn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Can you ask your house inspector? Otherwise our well guy seems well versed in radon mitigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lil_acorn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lil_acorn View Post
    Can you ask your house inspector? Otherwise our well guy seems well versed in radon mitigation.

Sorry I meant to add that the well guys would know how to deal with radon in water. Not sure where your issue is.

We've had radon mitigation in two houses; in both places there is one company that "everyone" seems to use. It's a pretty standard installation and not that expensive (around $900) so there's no reason to cheap out.
    If the new house is on well water, make sure to have that checked too - we were horrified when the buyers of our last house tested the water and found a high level of radon that we had been exposed to (primarily from things like steam in the shower that we breathed) for 7 years. We had to pay $5000 for a mitigation system for the water.

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Radon is a pretty standard installation, they will seal cracks in floor, install tube that vacuums and vents outside. I would use a company that is well reviewed in your area
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    We've had radon mitigation in two houses; in both places there is one company that "everyone" seems to use. It's a pretty standard installation and not that expensive (around $900) so there's no reason to cheap out.
    If the new house is on well water, make sure to have that checked too - we were horrified when the buyers of our last house tested the water and found a high level of radon that we had been exposed to (primarily from things like steam in the shower that we breathed) for 7 years. We had to pay $5000 for a mitigation system for the water.
    I had no idea radon was in well water until yesterday. This house is on city water, which you would think would be checked by the city.

khm is online now Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Air radon mitigation is a pretty simple deal, I agree with the others. I doubt there's much swing in options, just pick a known mitigation company. Or get a couple quotes and get cash-back at closing and hire it out yourself when you have more time to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    I doubt there's much swing in options, just pick a known mitigation company.
    This is what I was thinking, I'm not sure how you'd cheap out. Either it's working or it's not.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Radon is super common in our area. We put a system in our first home in 2000 when it was just beginning to be a thing. When we moved in 2018 the home we moved to also tested high. We opted for a credit on what is considered a standard price system around here from the sellers.

The credit worked better for us because we were buying from a grumpy old couple who viewed "doing" harder than slightly lower price. Plus DH and I wanted to get in the house and get a better feel about basement remodeling and landscaping projects we were going to do. It is a large exhaust tube and I wanted say on where it was on the exterior of our home.

Yes, radon is a risk but the four months we lived here without the system did not concern me.

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    Radon is super common in our area. We put a system in our first home in 2000 when it was just beginning to be a thing. When we moved in 2018 the home we moved to also tested high. We opted for a credit on what is considered a standard price system around here from the sellers.

The credit worked better for us because we were buying from a grumpy old couple who viewed "doing" harder than slightly lower price. Plus DH and I wanted to get in the house and get a better feel about basement remodeling and landscaping projects we were going to do. It is a large exhaust tube and I wanted say on where it was on the exterior of our home.

Yes, radon is a risk but the four months we lived here without the system did not concern me.
    Yes, we have the same concerns about where the pipe will go and wanting to have a say in it. I'm not super concerned about living there until a pipe goes in, particularly since it's barely over the level and we can just minimize basement time. We talked them into a credit, so I'm relieved.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast