Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Definitely get the third opinion. Each practice will vary greatly.

I would get the 3rd opinion with the hope that it backs up one of the more local treatment plans. Dd has some non permanent teeth pulled prior to starting orthodontia. I feel like teeth pulling is more common these days as several if Dds friends also had teeth pulled.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmomtobe View Post
    I would get the 3rd opinion with the hope that it backs up one of the more local treatment plans. Dd has some non permanent teeth pulled prior to starting orthodontia. I feel like teeth pulling is more common these days as several if Dds friends also had teeth pulled.
    I also have had friend's kids need quite a few teeth pulled, though neither of my kids needed any pulled.

Most of us use one of two orthos nearby. Both orthos have pulled teeth in friend's kids - it's not that there is 1 puller and 1 saver.

I agree they shouldn't rush to yank teeth, but in the kids that have needed pulled teeth, I can see why it was necessary. These kids are smaller than average and just plain didn't have the room. One kid was a triplet and her siblings didn't need any pulled, but she needed MANY pulled. Just luck of the draw that she got the way overcrowded jawline I guess. I look at her big pretty smile and there's no way I can imagine that many more teeth in there.

Your kid might be a case where it could really go one way or the other and be **totally fine**. That said, I'd probably lean towards a 3rd opinion and going with #1 if that's supported by #3's opinion. If in the end, she needs some teeth pulled, then so be it. Ask #1 if he's thinks her teeth might lean outward, as #2 suggests. What is his plan if that comes to pass?

You need SO MANY 10 minute appointments for braces for so many months, I'd try to pick a local option over a long drive as well.

DH is an orthodontist, so I hear about this all the time. DD1 had 4 teeth pulled (an oral surgeon pulled the adult teeth that hadn't even erupted yet before DH put on her braces) and DD2 will have at least 2 teeth pulled. They have my small mouth and DH's giant teeth, so he said that's the best way to ensure stability of the remaining teeth and proper performance.

He literally just told me last week, "I regularly tell parents, 'I know you don't want to pull any of your child's teeth. Plenty of other orthodontists will tell you they won't pull teeth. Their results will look great at first, but I'm concerned with more than just how your child's smile will look when the braces come off. I want to ensure the teeth will stay that way for the rest of their lives.'" Then he points to DDs' photos on the wall and actually walks through what he did/has done for both our girls. The bottom line is that he doesn't have any rules about never pulling teeth or always pulling teeth. Be wary of anyone who says they never pull teeth because there are certainly cases where you should pull teeth in order to get the most stable and "correct" result. DH also tells me he's one of the only orthodontists who actually aligns the second molars (the teeth in the very back that no one else can see but you and your dentist). Dentists always know when it's one of his patients in their chair because DH thinks it's important to do the work to get the right result (even if most people don't see it and parents/patients aren't even aware that you're going "above and beyond").

P.S. DH is 43, so he's not "old" per se. Also, I do think how you're treated by the staff, convenience of the location, and how you like the doctor also play a role in deciding whom to seek treatment from. We chose a different pediatric dentist than the one DH would have naturally used because the first pediatric dentist had a TERRIBLE front desk staff who ruled the roost. The pediatric dentist let them run the show and they were controlling, bossy, unorganized, and had a few other issues. DH knew I would be so frustrated and annoyed trying to work with them that he chose a younger pediatric dentist who is "stricter" with his staff (so they're very organized and capable even if they're not super cheerful).
    Last edited by smiles33; 08-22-2019 at 03:25 PM.

As a general rule, I always go with the more conservative recommendation. However, in your case, since the first ortho is not board certified, I would get a second opinion from the third ortho. Hopefully that will give you guidance on whether the first ortho's plan is realistic. If it is, I would go with that.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you all for the replies. We will have the 3rd opinion in early oct and hopefully that will clear things up. The first ortho said she sometimes need to have teeth pulled but not in this case, but the second one felt very strongly that we needed them. I just want to do the right thing. I hope opinion 3 will shed light on things!

You guys are great!
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DD (12) is in her second year of braces and her ortho told me he would not pull teeth on any child unless it was absolutely necessary. His thinking was he wants to keep as many of your own teeth in your mouth as possible. He said people can lose teeth in old age, so he wants to send the child into adulthood with as many of their own teeth as possible.
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ha98ed14 View Post
    My DD (12) is in her second year of braces and her ortho told me he would not pull teeth on any child unless it was absolutely necessary. His thinking was he wants to keep as many of your own teeth in your mouth as possible. He said people can lose teeth in old age, so he wants to send the child into adulthood with as many of their own teeth as possible.
    Hello!! Great to "see" you again.
    K

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Hello!! Great to "see" you again.
    Aww, thanks! I came back for help with a concern I felt this community could answer. I've been scrolling through and a lot of the people are still here! It's awesome to know you all kept the community going!
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ha98ed14 View Post
    Hi hope all is well!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast