Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Drop Off line

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    And this is why I’m glad my kids take the bus, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Yes! Our elementary school very strongly encourages everyone to take the bus because drop off and especially pickup are a nightmare.
    Our district has a bus driver shortage. Busses are often late with both pick up and drop off off. Bus riders are often late to class because of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Yes! Our elementary school very strongly encourages everyone to take the bus because drop off and especially pickup are a nightmare.
    It would cost us $800 for both my kids to take the bus back in elementary school, so that wasn't going to happen when we live less than 2 miles from the school.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    It would cost us $800 for both my kids to take the bus back in elementary school, so that wasn't going to happen when we live less than 2 miles from the school.
    Wow, that is crazy! We live less than a mile from the school and could easily walk our kids there. And we may do that sometimes in the morning if I don't have to be at work early. But we'll be having him take the bus every afternoon (he'd need to a few days a week to go to our daycare for after care anyway). They make parents get out of the car, stand in line, and show ID to pick kids up. And the tiny parking lot is pretty much filled just with teachers/staff, so you have to either walk there or park on the street to do it.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yet another example of how much variation there is by area! Was this a bus to public school or private? When DGD1 started school, I was shocked to learn that Rhode Island provides school bus transportation for both public school and private school students, and I don’t think there is a charge for either. If they’re attending a private school outside their town/school district, they may have to be driven to a central pickup point like a store parking lot, depending on how many kids will be going to that school, instead of the usual school bus stops. (One year, one of the pickup points was a Dunkin Donuts ... I think it got changed...)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Our taxes cover transportation. It probably costs that much but because we have to pay school tax anyway, I honestly don't stress about the allocation. i pay attention to overall school board spending and it hasn't raised any red flags. So everyone pays for transportation here.

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Yet another example of how much variation there is by area! Was this a bus to public school or private? When DGD1 started school, I was shocked to learn that Rhode Island provides school bus transportation for both public school and private school students, and I don’t think there is a charge for either. If they’re attending a private school outside their town/school district, they may have to be driven to a central pickup point like a store parking lot, depending on how many kids will be going to that school, instead of the usual school bus stops. (One year, one of the pickup points was a Dunkin Donuts ... I think it got changed...)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    This is public school. For grades K to 6th, if you live within 2 miles of the school, you have to pay the fee if you want to take the bus. Starting grade 7, you have to pay regardless of how far you live from the school. Fortunately, there are a lot of side roads near our elementary school, so we usually just park close by and walk. I'd use the drop off line in winter when the roads became too narrow to park on. Most kids walk or get dropped off, so kids taking the bus are in the minority.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5