View Poll Results: got milk?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, our whole family drinks milk

14 38.89%
  • The kids drink milk, but not the adults

6 16.67%
  • The adults drink milk, but not the kid(s)

1 2.78%
  • None of us drink milk

6 16.67%
  • Cow's milk

16 44.44%
  • Almond milk

8 22.22%
  • Soy milk

1 2.78%
  • Rice milk

0 0%
  • Hemp milk

0 0%
  • Coconut milk

2 5.56%
  • Oat milk

2 5.56%
  • Raw milk

1 2.78%
  • Conventional milk (what %?)

8 22.22%
  • Organic milk (what %?)

9 25.00%
  • Other (please describe)

4 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question What kind of milk do you and your kids drink? (If any?)

I drink skim milk, and my kids had been drinking organic 2% (I don't like the taste of organic milk), but my kids don't like the taste of milk anymore. I realize that skim milk has the most sugar, and whole milk is probably best, but I dislike the taste ad texture of it.

I think they should still be having milk for calcium and stuff, and my SIL and her pediatrician think that kids should still be drinking milk (our kids range from ages 4-13)... hers are really low on the growth chart, if that matters.

DH doesn't think the kids need milk still (he says it's not super good for them with the sugar, etc.). I also agree that it's probably a scheme by the dairy industry (weren't breakfast cereals like Kellogg's created to get people to consume more milk?), and I think our country is a little milk-crazy compared to other countries. But I'm worried that without milk, our kids won't get enough calcium and other vitamins, and I don't know that I can convert them to something like soy or almond milk.

So, how does your family handle milk? What do you and your kids drink?

What's the current medical community thinking/ advice on milk, especially for kids?
    If your kids don't drink milk, what other foods and drinks do they consume that supply similar nutrients to what milk provides?

Thanks for your input!
    Last edited by ourbabygirl; 08-26-2019 at 12:32 AM.

My kids like milk. They’ll occasionally drink whatever milk is available (we buy a brand that tastes delicious. It’s the only milk I’ll drink, because I hate milk! It’s Highlawn Farms, but it’s a local dairy for us), but they drink it less and less, and I’m fine with that. I don’t think milk is at all necessary for a healthy diet. There’s Greek yogurt and cheese for other dairy products, but calcium is readily available from all sorts of foods like spinach, almonds, edamame, and tofu, among others, and you can always take a calcium supplement. I never drank milk growing up, and I never had any kind of calcium deficiency. I don’t think you need to push milk if your kids don’t like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We are a family of cows. We all drink skim milk from Costco, about 6 gallons a week for the 4 of us.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

None of us just drink milk on it's own. I do buy organic grass fed whole milk though for the kids to use in cereal, oatmeal, and in cooking. A half gallon usually lasts us 2 weeks.

DS1 just turned 16 last week and is almost 5'11, 180lbs, and all muscle. I don't think not drinking milk has ever been a problem. He does eat other dairy like yogurt, cheese, and sour cream though. He's gluten/soy/nut free so mostly lives off protein.

DS2 is thin but one of the tallest kids in all of 5th grade.

I'm lactose intolerant and try to eat as close to Whole 30 as possible and avoid dairy. The gas and bloating just aren't worth it!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We don't drink dairy, we aren't baby cows. Our pediatrician is in full agreement and said if we did, it should be limited. There is also so much cruelty in the dairy industry (and in all animal agriculture). I buy almond milk for cereal, smoothie and such. Water is our main beverage.

ETA: calcium is in almond milk, beans, greens, tofu, ect. I really don't worry about it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    Last edited by trcy; 08-26-2019 at 06:36 AM.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

I think DS6 is the only person in our house who regularly drinks milk as is, but we all use organic whole milk. DH and I put it in our coffee and DD puts it on her cereal. We use it to cook and to make yogurt. I hated milk as a kid and took tums as a calcium supplement through my teens. I don't know if that is still recommended or not. With all vitamins (in food or pill) there is a question of what is available to your body for use vs. in an unusable form or quantity.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We only use milk for cooking or with cereal. We buy organic whole milk. I buy whole milk organic dairy products as much as possible. Whole milk yogurt, whole milk ricotta, etc.

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We do not buy a lot of milk...lactose sensitivity, hormones, and not being necessary for diet. If I do buy cows milk (rare) it’s organic 2% or whole. My kids get enough calcium through vegetables, etc. Generally, I either make my own almond milk or buy Oatly oatmilk for coffee, cereal, etc. They will drink it if they are desperate enough. 😉 We were largely paleo for about 5 years. DS has been 25th% whereas both of my daughters have been 75-95th%. They haven’t been deprived.
    Last edited by SASM; 08-26-2019 at 06:59 AM.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Boys need their own cow. I go through 3-4 gallons a week for the 2 at home. I use it in my coffee DH drinks none. I buy local whole milk that is only pasteurized ( not ultra pasteurized) antibiotic/ hormone free If it’s not used by the date on the gallon it will not be fresh the next day
    Last edited by JBaxter; 08-26-2019 at 07:10 AM.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

We buy skim milk in half gallons so we have some around for cooking and such, but almost always throw away half or more of it because none of us really drink it. DS will occasionally have a little, but not frequently (he has chocolate milk occasionally at restaurants). DD just turned 2 and is still getting a tiny amount of breast milk, but won’t drink regular milk. Our pediatrician is completely fine with kids never drinking milk of any kind after 12 months as long as they get those nutrients elsewhere in their diets. My pediatrician (35+ years ago and in a different part of the country) felt the exact same way so I have never pushed it. I only drink it if it is in the form of hot chocolate or a milk shake. I put it on cereal, which I very rarely eat, but I don’t drink what is left after eating the cereal.

My kids both eat yogurt and cheese almost every day, and DS takes a multivitamin because he likes to and asks for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast