Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default squamous cell carcinoma

Has anyone had this? What stage was it graded and what did you do for it?

Ugh. I know this form of skin cancer is not the worst, but during the shave biopsy the dermatologist mention it had deeper roots. I don't know how she could tell. The spot is very small. She is sure it will come back SCC, just not sure of what stage. I also don't know how the biopsy can tell that as she did not remove it all (I guess because of those deep roots?).

This was 2 weeks ago, no results yet.

Any experience with this skin cancer would be great! I know it's not a big deal, I just needed to write about somewhere after all this time.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No idea but wanted to offer a huge
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My mom had basal cell carcinoma on her face and had the mose (sp) procedure several years ago. She is doing great. She goes back every 4 to 6 months to have a whole body skin check and usually has more than one thing frozen off.

Not too helpful, but that's our experience.

Hugs!
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

hugs! Definitely anxiety provoking regardless. How long did the dermatologist tell you it would take to get results? If it's past the time she told you, call the office just to check.

I'm fairly certain the biopsy can tell if she got it all or not because they look for the last part removed/margins -- if there's still cancer cells in that part, then it's not all removed.

My mom had this type of cancer on her leg many years ago. It was removed and there's never been another issue with it. I don't know what stage it was.

I hope you hear back soon with news that will put your mind at ease!
    Lizi

Few questions:

Where on your body was it?
    What did it look like prior to the biopsy?
    Did it hurt or feel raw?

It is extremely rare for SCC to need anything other than excision with local anesthetic (similar to the biopsy). If it is sccis it can be treated with a topical chemotherapy cream or electrodessication and curretage, or surgery.

I am happy to answer any questions you have, just need to know more details.

In terms of biospy results. I practice in Massachusetts, our biopsy results for skin cancers are usually back in 3-5 days, a week max. Call and ask for results.

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaGirl View Post
    My mom had basal cell carcinoma on her face and had the mose (sp) procedure several years ago. She is doing great. She goes back every 4 to 6 months to have a whole body skin check and usually has more than one thing frozen off.

Not too helpful, but that's our experience.

Hugs!
    I also had basal cell carcinoma on my face about 10 years ago, had Mohs surgery, and have had no recurrence or other issues related to that. Like lots of people, from time to time, I have had a variety of non-malignant "things" frozen or otherwise removed. Some of these were benign but had the potential to become problematic if left alone. Others were just annoying or unsightly, but wouldn’t have turned bad.

OP, were you given any idea of when to expect the biopsy results? It probably depends on where you live, whether your dermatologist is part of a large health system, etc etc. I’ve recently had a skin thing biopsied to figure out what it was, although it there wasn’t any concern about cancer, and the biopsy results were available in 2 or 3 days in my "MyChart" app. But that’s an advantage of having the biopsy at an academic medical center with a large efficient pathology lab. Other settings may take longer, especially if the specimen has to be sent off somewhere.

In any case, I think it would be reasonable for you to call the dermatologist's office and ask when you can expect results (unless you have already made a follow up appointment to find out the results).

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It is very near my collarbone. It's funny because it's a very non sun damaged part of my body and I had nothing there. Suddenly this bump popped up. It was like a mosquito bite, but kept scabbing and rescabbing and never healing (it was right at where the seat belt goes and many shirt lines).
    It was there for about 3 months. I know she did not get it all because of the deeper roots and they already talked about coming back for a surgery.

How can you tell if there are deep roots with a shave biopsy?

Do deep roots mean it won't be stage 0?

Can a SCC spread to lymph nodes or organs within 3 months?

I know SCC is easily treated, but those are my worries!
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

WitMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My dad has worked in the sun all his life and has had numerous squamous cell carcinomas removed without additional follow up or issues (other than continuing skin checks).

And as some encouragment- I had a spot biopsied this spring. My derm was 100% convinced it was melanoma, and like your doctor, was just uncertain of the stage. Guess what? It wasn’t anything other than a dark freckle. So even doctors with experience can get it wrong when they eyeball it.

Here’s hoping for good news!

daisyd is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hugs! Sending P &PT your way.

Quote Originally Posted by flashy09 View Post
    It is very near my collarbone. It's funny because it's a very non sun damaged part of my body and I had nothing there. Suddenly this bump popped up. It was like a mosquito bite, but kept scabbing and rescabbing and never healing (it was right at where the seat belt goes and many shirt lines).
    It was there for about 3 months. I know she did not get it all because of the deeper roots and they already talked about coming back for a surgery.

How can you tell if there are deep roots with a shave biopsy?

Do deep roots mean it won't be stage 0?

Can a SCC spread to lymph nodes or organs within 3 months?

I know SCC is easily treated, but those are my worries!
    Trying to answer in order.

Sounds like an invasive SCC , which just means it grows downward into the skin, not across the skin, as an sccis. Invasive in this case does not mean mets or spread to lymph nodes. I have never seen an SCC mets except on the scalp or nose.

In terms of deep roots, it is 100% by the appearance of the lesion prior to biopsy. When you see it you just know. The biopsy is to confirm it and also to tell the type of differentiation of the cells.

Squamous cell in the skin is not really staged like squamous cell in other organs. In situ is just in the surface, scc extends deeper into the layers of skin. Excision is curative. Most mosquito bite type scc are well differentiated, which is what you want. The level of differentiation is more indicative than anything else.

It will not spread.

I do not know your age, but for clavicle area SCC on a female, I would not necessarily send to a Mohs surgeon. A dermatologist who does surgeries is fine. The key to this is quick excision - not because of risk of spreading but because of increase in size. Any trauma to a SCC can cause a rapid growth phase in some patients (upward, not deep, so the bump is larger.). A biopsy is trauma. The quicker you have it excised, the less likely it will be to grow and the small the incision.

Whenever you have it done. The incision is always larger than you expect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast