Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    20,389

    Default Quick Question: Baked Oatmeal left out all night safe?

    I'm at my mom's so it's a little chaotic with tons of family. I brought a pan of baked oatmeal (via the recipe from here years ago) and it never got put away because the fridge is so crowded and I forgot. I always refrigerate it at home but maybe it's ok?

    It's baked oatmeal with eggs, almond milk, raisins, etc. What do ya'll think?
    The Fall Style Challenge is here! Come on over and create a capsule wardrobe you LOVE with the help of a personal stylist.

    Blogging about Minimalism & More at ChasingSantee.com

  2. #2
    nfceagles's Avatar
    nfceagles is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,655

    Default

    My gut says that its no worse than cake or brownies left out, but no personal experience.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    10,062

    Default

    If I make or pick up baked goods (like coffee cake from the bakery) the afternoon before for a morning church thing, I never put it in the fridge over night. Your baked oatmeal might not taste as fresh but should be fine.



    Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

  4. #4
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    20,389

    Default

    It smelled, looked and tasted fine so we went for it. I am so overly careful about food but I honestly think it's fine. I will certainly update if we feel differently later.
    The Fall Style Challenge is here! Come on over and create a capsule wardrobe you LOVE with the help of a personal stylist.

    Blogging about Minimalism & More at ChasingSantee.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,268

    Default

    they're basically oatmeal cookies right? I'd love to see the recipe you're using but when I make oatmeal breakfast cookies, I never refridgerate them. They stay on the counter for days till gone. The kids wont eat them if they are too cold.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and 2 cocker spaniels

  6. #6
    PZMommy is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,941

    Default

    Can you please share the recipe?

  7. #7
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    20,389

    Default

    Yes here is the recipe, adapted from this forum. http://chasingsantee.com/magicoatmealcake/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Yes here is the recipe, adapted from this forum. http://chasingsantee.com/magicoatmealcake/
    Thanks! lots of sugar compared to what I'm using. Is it super sweet?

    this is what I usually make - different since these are cookies
    Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie

    Skinnytaste.com



    Ingredients:



    • 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed

    • 1 cup of uncooked quick oats

    • 1/4 cup chocolate chips



    Directions:



    Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a non-stick cookie sheet with cooking spray or use a Silpat.


    Combine the mashed bananas and oats in a bowl. Fold in the chocolate chips and place a tablespoon of each on the cookie sheet.

    Bake 15min

    My changes: I use 2c of oatmeal and 2 bananas and 1/2c of unsweetened applesauce. That way the banana taste isn’t as strong. I also cook on parchment paper and flip way through so it cooks more quickly/evenly.

    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and 2 cocker spaniels

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    Thanks! lots of sugar compared to what I'm using. Is it super sweet?

    this is what I usually make - different since these are cookies
    Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie

    Skinnytaste.com



    Ingredients:



    2 medium ripe bananas, mashed

    1 cup of uncooked quick oats

    1/4 cup chocolate chips



    Directions:



    Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a non-stick cookie sheet with cooking spray or use a Silpat.


    Combine the mashed bananas and oats in a bowl. Fold in the chocolate chips and place a tablespoon of each on the cookie sheet.

    Bake 15min

    My changes: I use 2c of oatmeal and 2 bananas and 1/2c of unsweetened applesauce. That way the banana taste isnt as strong. I also cook on parchment paper and flip way through so it cooks more quickly/evenly.

    Not the PP, but I stumbled on your comment. I've been making this baked oatmeal (and variations) for years as well. We love it. I used plain Greek yogurt and only 1/3 cup of sweetener. It makes a huge 9x13 pan so I figure it's not too much. And no, it's not too terribly sweet. Plus it has lots of protein. I've made your breakfast cookies too - they are yummy!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    Not the PP, but I stumbled on your comment. I've been making this baked oatmeal (and variations) for years as well. We love it. I used plain Greek yogurt and only 1/3 cup of sweetener. It makes a huge 9x13 pan so I figure it's not too much. And no, it's not too terribly sweet. Plus it has lots of protein. I've made your breakfast cookies too - they are yummy!
    Thanks! Off to see if I have enough yogurt to make it tonight for 1st day of school tomorrow.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and 2 cocker spaniels

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •