Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Quick Question: Baked Oatmeal left out all night safe?

I'm at my mom's so it's a little chaotic with tons of family. I brought a pan of baked oatmeal (via the recipe from here years ago) and it never got put away because the fridge is so crowded and I forgot. I always refrigerate it at home but maybe it's ok?

It's baked oatmeal with eggs, almond milk, raisins, etc. What do ya'll think?

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My gut says that it’s no worse than cake or brownies left out, but no personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If I make or pick up baked goods (like coffee cake from the bakery) the afternoon before for a morning church thing, I never put it in the fridge over night. Your baked oatmeal might not taste as fresh but should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

It smelled, looked and tasted fine so we went for it. I am so overly careful about food but I honestly think it's fine. I will certainly update if we feel differently later.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

they're basically oatmeal cookies right? I'd love to see the recipe you're using but when I make oatmeal breakfast cookies, I never refridgerate them. They stay on the counter for days till gone. The kids wont eat them if they are too cold.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Can you please share the recipe?

Yes here is the recipe, adapted from this forum. http://chasingsantee.com/magicoatmealcake/

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Yes here is the recipe, adapted from this forum. http://chasingsantee.com/magicoatmealcake/
    Thanks! lots of sugar compared to what I'm using. Is it super sweet?

this is what I usually make - different since these are cookies
    Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie

Skinnytaste.com

Ingredients:

• 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed

• 1 cup of uncooked quick oats

• 1/4 cup chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a non-stick cookie sheet with cooking spray or use a Silpat.

Combine the mashed bananas and oats in a bowl. Fold in the chocolate chips and place a tablespoon of each on the cookie sheet.

Bake 15min

My changes: I use 2c of oatmeal and 2 bananas and 1/2c of unsweetened applesauce. That way the banana taste isn’t as strong. I also cook on parchment paper and flip ½ way through so it cooks more quickly/evenly.

dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    Thanks! lots of sugar compared to what I'm using. Is it super sweet?

this is what I usually make - different since these are cookies
    Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie

Skinnytaste.com

Ingredients:

• 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed

• 1 cup of uncooked quick oats

• 1/4 cup chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a non-stick cookie sheet with cooking spray or use a Silpat.

Combine the mashed bananas and oats in a bowl. Fold in the chocolate chips and place a tablespoon of each on the cookie sheet.

Bake 15min

My changes: I use 2c of oatmeal and 2 bananas and 1/2c of unsweetened applesauce. That way the banana taste isn’t as strong. I also cook on parchment paper and flip ½ way through so it cooks more quickly/evenly.

Not the PP, but I stumbled on your comment. I've been making this baked oatmeal (and variations) for years as well. We love it. I used plain Greek yogurt and only 1/3 cup of sweetener. It makes a huge 9x13 pan so I figure it's not too much. And no, it's not too terribly sweet. Plus it has lots of protein. I've made your breakfast cookies too - they are yummy!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    Not the PP, but I stumbled on your comment. I've been making this baked oatmeal (and variations) for years as well. We love it. I used plain Greek yogurt and only 1/3 cup of sweetener. It makes a huge 9x13 pan so I figure it's not too much. And no, it's not too terribly sweet. Plus it has lots of protein. I've made your breakfast cookies too - they are yummy!
    Thanks! Off to see if I have enough yogurt to make it tonight for 1st day of school tomorrow.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast