Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Where to stay in Copenhagen

We will be in Copenhagen over NYE and are struggling to find lodging for our family of four. We have struck out with 7 airbnbs (availability wasn't updated - we have years of great reviews) and have found that many beds available through airbnbs are too small for our kiddos (a 13 year old cannot fit into a toddler bed). Hotels are near impossible with four - and if we went the two room route they'd be mighty small for a five day stay.

I'm still plugging away with airbnb. Any other suggestions?

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

How far out of the core are you willing to stay? If you expand beyond you might have better luck, the core has fewer larger apartments. Also beds in Denmark look smaller but they might not be toddler beds, they have a different style of bed and bedding that is quite minimalist and may appear small. I lived there so may have insight into which suburbs make sense. If you find one along the S train line getting around is easy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Try the Scandic chain as we stayed at a Scandic (Downtown Camper) in Stockholm and it was amazing! We stayed at the Copenhagen Strand Hotel (in the Nyhavn area) and it wasn’t nearly as nice amenity wise as the Scandic in Stockholm and neither DH or I were that impressed by it. My parents paid for the rooms in both cities and I believe they were about $200 a night, maybe a little less and the Scandic was a much better value imho.

The rooms were small (at least a double size so same length as a twin) at the Scandic so you will need two rooms, but that is often an option for family rates though (I looked at the Scandic website when I got home) so that might work for you. The breakfast buffet is amazing though and the Camper has a great restaurant attached and it looked like other Scandic chains had great buffets as well, and an added bonus would be a restaurant on site just in case you don't feel like going out.

https://www.scandichotels.com/hotels...BoCBO8QAvD_BwE

In Copenhagen I will warn you that food is very expensive; a light lunch at an outdoor cafeteria in the Nyhavn area was $30 usd for just food and no drinks. Now the food we had (Indian) was excellent but it was a lot for lunch. Dinner was even more expensive like closer to $30-$40 pp with a non alcoholic drink, closer to $50pp with wine or beer. Now the gelato was excellent and worth the $8 usd price tag, but still expensive and we live in high to very high col part of Los Angeles. We did not go food shopping at a store though so I can’t help you there so if you are considering air bnb you might want to do some research.

We only stayed in the touristy part of Copenhagen and tbh I don’t think I would go back. The exchange rate sucks, the food is expensive and I didn’t get the allure of it honestly. I didn’t hate it but I preferred the 3 days we spent in Sweden (it felt like the Midwest to me vs. Copenhagen felt more touristy and maybe more stand offish) plus it felt very NIMBY-ish (not in my back yard...kind of hard to explain, but I just got a weird vibe from some of the locals, especially our tour guide) to me and I wish we would’ve had more time to go outside of the city. We were there three days and two of those had tours attached to them (it was the end of our cruise) so going way outside of the city wasn’t part of the plans. Oh and one more thing food service is slow unless you are eating takeout so keep that in mind with your kids. Also there are A LOT of cobblestones so take comfy shoes and if you still have a kid in a stroller make sure it is a Bob, Uppa Baby, Bugaboo, or something all terrain.

Also pick up some Danish nasal spray...the stuff is amazing and because medicine is run by the government that and Benedryl is all you can get a pharmacy, but it is amazing and costs about $10. Pick up a few and you won’t need American cold medicine again.

PM me if you have any more specific questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 08-27-2019 at 11:15 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    How far out of the core are you willing to stay? If you expand beyond you might have better luck, the core has fewer larger apartments. Also beds in Denmark look smaller but they might not be toddler beds, they have a different style of bed and bedding that is quite minimalist and may appear small. I lived there so may have insight into which suburbs make sense. If you find one along the S train line getting around is easy.

Thanks! These are definitely toddler beds (described as such, have toddler age toys, etc), but I do see what you're saying about the bedding. I'll try going further out. I was hoping to stay close to "downtown" since we'll have so little daylight when we are there.

I saw on some of the listings that they provide an air mattress in addition to some of the smaller beds so I'd ask the hosts for details on the beds. Also, it's rare to find anything larger than a double/full size bed, they don't have many queen or king size beds (maybe that's why the Danes are so happy ).

Thank you both! It took nine tries, but we finally got one that accepted us. During our saga of endless rejections we did book two airbnbs in Spain without problem, so it must just be a hassle to find NYE accommodations in Copenhagen.

We're staying in Vesterbro right on the Metro line. I am a bit worried about the expense of eating out 3x a day with two tween boys (which really means 5x a day, LOL!), so I definitely wanted to make sure that we have a kitchen. We do want to try to connect to some more off the beaten path things while we're there. I'm nailing that part down, I'd love suggestions! I'll definitely get the nasal spray

We're headed to Stockholm afterwards, but will only have two full days there.

Definitely hit up a grocery store, it's fun to see what the sell in other countries. My host brother from when I was an exchange student lives near Vesterbro, I'll send him a message asking for ideas.

This has definitely been a saga. Our hosts cancelled today, saying that their personal plans changed. One month out from NYE is a tough time to be looking for holiday availability. We wrangled a $200 credit out of airbnb and managed to find a replacement that won't cost tooo much more, but it's been a fiasco. We did wind up with a great central location, so hopefully not all is lost.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    This has definitely been a saga. Our hosts cancelled today, saying that their personal plans changed. One month out from NYE is a tough time to be looking for holiday availability. We wrangled a $200 credit out of airbnb and managed to find a replacement that won't cost tooo much more, but it's been a fiasco. We did wind up with a great central location, so hopefully not all is lost.
    how frustrating!
    When I use Airbnb, I’ve also made refundable hotel reservations as a back up. If reviews take a nose dive on Airbnb or host cancels, I have my back up plan ready. I hate having to do that though! Good luck on the new unit!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ahisma, how was tour trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 02-04-2020 at 04:22 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast