Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would donate every last cent and every last minute I had to find a treatment for cancer. It’s been way too long
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    I would donate every last cent and every last minute I had to find a treatment for cancer. It’s been way too long
    I think the cure is out there, but there is just too much money in the current treatments.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Default If you had no obstacles, what kind of volunteer work would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    I think the cure is out there, but there is just too much money in the current treatments.

I don’t believe that. DH is in the field of oncology , and he truly cares about his patients. Cancer isn’t one unified disease that can be cured with a vaccine or a pill. There are targeted therapies that can be effective but they only work for specific types of cancer. And it’s not a cure, it’s a treatment. My mom has an incurable form of blood cancer. There is no treatment that can “kill” it (unlike most types of cancer.). It is way more complicated that you think. Heck, we can’t even cure the common cold. And we all know how effective the flu shot is. Cancer treatments are getting better and so is early detection, so prognosis is much better than 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by georgiegirl; 08-29-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I don’t believe that. DH is in the field of oncology , and he truly cares about his patients. Cancer isn’t one unified disease that can be cured with a vaccine or a pill. There are targeted therapies that can be effective but they only work for specific types of cancer. And it’s not a cure, it’s a treatment. My mom has an incurable form of blood cancer. There is no treatment that can “kill” it (unlike most types of cancer.). It is way more complicated that you think. Heck, we can’t even cure the common cold. And we all know how effective the flu shot is. Cancer treatments are getting better and so is early detection, so prognosis is much better than 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ok you don't need to get angry. I am not looking to start a fight or say people in the field (like your husband) don't care. And I don't think it's one magical pill, that's ridiculous. It's just my opinion. But I do think drug companies know more than they let on. Cancer employees a lot of people and treatments generate a lot of income. I wouldn't be in drug companies best financial interest if there were a cure.

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Ok you don't need to get angry. I am not looking to start a fight or say people in the field (like your husband) don't care. And I don't think it's one magical pill, that's ridiculous. It's just my opinion. But I do think drug companies know more than they let on. Cancer employees a lot of people and treatments generate a lot of income. I wouldn't be in drug companies best financial interest if there were a cure.

I know they generate lots of money, but I know cancer researchers (PhDs) and although they work for drug companies, they have zero reason for fudge results. Most of the greedy people aren’t scientists. The scientists care about “finding a cure.” I just think it’s more complicated than “curing cancer.” There’s not one thing that can “cure cancer.”
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I know they generate lots of money, but I know cancer researchers (PhDs) and although they work for drug companies, they have zero reason for fudge results. Most of the greedy people aren’t scientists. The scientists care about “finding a cure.” I just think it’s more complicated than “curing cancer.” There’s not one thing that can “cure cancer.”
    No I don't think it's one thing either. I think it is very complex. Maybe I am 100% wrong. It's just my feelings about it.

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Trcy, I take great offense to your comments. As someone who has devoted 25 years of my life to cancer research, you demean what I and my colleagues do every day by saying that we are withholding life-saving treatment(s) due to greed.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Back to the original topic....

I would spend more time in my child's school, helping with the reading literacy program. I would spend more time doing church work. But mostly I want to volunteer at a children's hospital holding and loving and comforting all the kids whose parents can't be there 24/7 because they have other kids at home or jobs that need to pay the hospital bills.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

But wouldn’t the “cure” or process thereof employ “a lot” of people too? Cancer isn’t like the measles where it is/was eradicated. There are too many kinds of cancer, so people would keep getting it in many forms, and all those employed people would work on curing the patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It is so interesting to read the causes people are passionate about. It definitely makes me want to figure out a way to do more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast