Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    If you find a Body Pump or Group Power somewhere, those are my faves.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Yes to Body Pump or Group Power class. The best weight lifting classes. One song per muscle group. You end up doing around 1000 reps per class and that is just something I would never do on my own. In the last 2 places I’ve lived the Y has been the best gym in terms of variety of classes. Current Y also has a “women and weights” small group weights class. TRX is also great for strength training.

I love my kickboxing class, which has more emphasis on cardio but we also do weight lifting (more emphasis on reps than heavy weights, and mostly in circuits). I also have a friend who loves her Orange Theory class. I have no idea what that is, but she posts about it on FB all the time.

I've also done HIIT and TRX and those are great since it's just body weight and light hand weights (for HIIT). The important thing is to find something you find fun so you keep going back. I start kickboxing nearly 7 years ago (before I hit my 40s) and I still love it!

megv is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Orange theory fitness!!! Perfect combo of cardio (combo of treads/rowers or a bike) and weights. It’s a HIIT interval class. It kicks my butt in the best way. Our coaches always modify for whatever works best for you

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for all the ideas. I will check them out. I find a lot of places tell you they will modify as needed but the classes move so quickly there really isn't time to modify or get into it. And with changing instructors it makes it even harder.

I've thought about swimming but I'm worried that it isn't enough weight bearing. I'm at that age where some kind of lifting is going to be helpful for keeping me going in the long term.

Yup, swimming is great for cardio but not for building up bone strength. If you can, find a smaller class where the instructor can actually come around and modify exercises for individuals. My TRX class had about 8 students so the instructor was awesome about coming around and correcting form or adjusting exercises for those with injuries/limitations. Yet my HIIT class had 30+ and we did not get any modification/personal feedback.

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by megv View Post
    Orange theory fitness!!! Perfect combo of cardio (combo of treads/rowers or a bike) and weights. It’s a HIIT interval class. It kicks my butt in the best way. Our coaches always modify for whatever works best for you
    I was going to say the same - I’ve been doing Orangetheory a few months and love it. Each class is half cardio and half strength training. They do use weights for some exercises but at least at my gym, the emphasis is on modifying it for you, not on pushing for the biggest weight.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

Orange Theory is the class that all the physical therapists I know refer to as good business for them. Too fast, weights too heavy and not good on modifying. If you can do it, it’s great but it’s not for someone coming back from an injury
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Pure Barre is awesome. Perfect for us "older" ladies. Almost impossible to hurt yourself. Light weights. Micro-movements.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Orange Theory is the class that all the physical therapists I know refer to as good business for them. Too fast, weights too heavy and not good on modifying. If you can do it, it’s great but it’s not for someone coming back from an injury
    Yep. I ended up with knee surgery. It is too fast. The modifications are not great - for example, you can walk, but treadmill inclines are too high for too long. Also, IME too many people there for the trainers to really pay attention to form. If you already have an injury, I would skip it.

TRX is a good option, but in a smaller setting, where the instructor can pay attention to form.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2