Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Any way to get nail polish off an enameled white desk?

DD got a beautiful desk from Pottery Barn for Christmas, and a month later we hosted a couple of female exchange students for 2 weeks. We had the girls stay in DD's room, since it's the biggest of the kids' bedrooms (she slept on younger DD's trundle bed). However, one of the girls painted her nails at/ on DD's desk, and got nail polish on it (she didn't even mention it to me, but DD saw it after they'd gone back home).
    I feel really bad about it but kept forgetting about it until now (there are about 8 small marks).

Know any products I can use on it? The nail polish is green, and it's right in the area DD works. . I don't know what I could use that wouldn't take off the nice white enameled finish.

Thanks in advance!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Can you try some acetone on an inconspicuous area of the desk to see if the acetone damages the finish? You could also try one of the non-acetone nail polish removers. Test first...hard to say if it will damage the finish on the desk without knowing exactly what the enamel finish/topcoat is made of. If that doesn't work, you might be able to get a thin razor blade under the edge and see if you can pop it off? If that doesn't work, then I guess I would try scraping off what you can with a razor blade, then using a magic eraser or fine grit sandpaper (go lightly so as to try not to sand through the finish on the desk) and then use a car paint polishing cream to smooth it out and try to mostly blend with the rest of the enamel.

Since there are many small marks, I will cross my fingers that the acetone or non-acetone nail polish remover works without damaging the enamel

What about bar keepers friend? I used it on tile floor to get out black nail polish. I’ve used it on a ton of stuff. Not sure how it would do on the enamel? Maybe try on the back to see what happens?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Maybe a pretty desk pad if nothing else works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I did drama we used hairspray to remove polish, but not after so many months. The makeup tables were enamel. Definitely spot test it somewhere inconspicuous first!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

What do you mean by enameled? Like glossy white paint?

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    What do you mean by enameled? Like glossy white paint?
    I think she means the glass-like coating, it's usually on top of desks and tables. I think it's more of a vintage thing.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

When my aunt spilled red nail polish on my mothers carpet we used didi seven to get it out. It’s an as seen on tv product so I’m not sure where you can find it. Try it on an inconspicuous spot just in case it takes the color out of the desk. my mothers carpet was beige and it didn’t do damage but you never know.
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

If the surface is glasslike, I'd try and scrape it off. Get one of those flat scraper razors and go slow. If the surface is glassy enough, maybe you'll get a lot of it that way. At least get the top layer off so less chemicals will be needed and you can focus on what's left with a toothpick to keep the surrounding area safer from the chemicals.

Worst case, sand it down and refinish it. SW has PB paint colors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast