Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Lifeproof vinyl Plank Flooring from HD?

We are strongly considering (like almost ready to buy at this point) lifeproof vinyl plank flooring for our living room and kitchen, to install ourselves. I have read a lot of reviews and looked at a lot of photos but I just wondered if any of you guys have this particular floor yourselves?

We just installed this in July. I like the look of it and it's a huge improvement from the carpet/sheet vinyl we had. DH installed about 800 sq ft, our whole main floor (kitchen, living room, dining room, powder room), and it took probably four or five solid days of work.

I think the color we chose was Texas Oak and it came in three plank widths. Uniform plank widths would be a more classic look and wasn't something I had considered, the color and plank size lend a farmhouse vibe that isn't my favorite. DS loves sliding around on our new floors, I do it sometimes too since it's fun. I don't love the plasticy feel or sound of the flooring, but the updated look and ease of cleaning make up for the things I don't like. We installed this flooring to last us less than 10 years until we can afford a full kitchen remodel. I think it cost about $3000 which seems nice and affordable to me. Love the waterproof aspect since we have a pool! Huge improvement over the carpet we replaced.

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Are you still considering a move?
    K

Quote Originally Posted by roobee View Post
    We just installed this in July. I like the look of it and it's a huge improvement from the carpet/sheet vinyl we had. DH installed about 800 sq ft, our whole main floor (kitchen, living room, dining room, powder room), and it took probably four or five solid days of work.

I think the color we chose was Texas Oak and it came in three plank widths. Uniform plank widths would be a more classic look and wasn't something I had considered, the color and plank size lend a farmhouse vibe that isn't my favorite. DS loves sliding around on our new floors, I do it sometimes too since it's fun. I don't love the plasticy feel or sound of the flooring, but the updated look and ease of cleaning make up for the things I don't like. We installed this flooring to last us less than 10 years until we can afford a full kitchen remodel. I think it cost about $3000 which seems nice and affordable to me. Love the waterproof aspect since we have a pool! Huge improvement over the carpet we replaced.

Thanks Roobee! There are so many colors it is hard to decide. I love the multi-plank look but DH said it would be more of a pain so we are looking at woodacres oak or possibly Sterling Oak for colors since we will install ourselves. I'm annoyed that when we first got samples a couple weeks ago, the prices on some of the colors have gone up in price! Plus woodacres oak is currently OOS. Just making our decision process a little more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Are you still considering a move?
    So....yes and no. We'd still like to move but we are trying to upgrade the house to make it both sell-able and liveable. So we are slowly getting the stuff done. I'd still like to put it on the market in a year or so but it's possible we will stay.

It does look like prices have gone from $2.99 per sq ft to $3.19 per sq ft. Lots of retailers are increasing their prices due to tariffs. Plus the guy at Home Depot said sales are up by 1000% for this product so it makes sense that they'd increase the price.

I helped DH with the flooring install. We agreed the multi width planks made installation easier. We did one width per length of flooring (so like one full flooring strip from the back to the front of our house would be width 1, then the next strip was width 2) and staged the layout to reduce cuts and reduce areas where there's only a small sliver of flooring. I don't know if that makes sense, but it worked really well.

One tip. Do NOT let a Home Depot team member place your online order for you. This changes your order to a "Special Order" and limits your ability to make returns. You MUST place an online order yourself and select "ship to store" so you're not charged for shipping and to allow you to return extra product. Or just buy an in stock color at the store. We learned this lesson the hard way. I was finally able to return $300 in extra flooring with no restocking fee, but it was a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by roobee View Post
    It does look like prices have gone from $2.99 per sq ft to $3.19 per sq ft. Lots of retailers are increasing their prices due to tariffs. Plus the guy at Home Depot said sales are up by 1000% for this product so it makes sense that they'd increase the price.

I helped DH with the flooring install. We agreed the multi width planks made installation easier. We did one width per length of flooring (so like one full flooring strip from the back to the front of our house would be width 1, then the next strip was width 2) and staged the layout to reduce cuts and reduce areas where there's only a small sliver of flooring. I don't know if that makes sense, but it worked really well.

One tip. Do NOT let a Home Depot team member place your online order for you. This changes your order to a "Special Order" and limits your ability to make returns. You MUST place an online order yourself and select "ship to store" so you're not charged for shipping and to allow you to return extra product. Or just buy an in stock color at the store. We learned this lesson the hard way. I was finally able to return $300 in extra flooring with no restocking fee, but it was a pain.

Yes, I'm frustrated because the price just went up in the last couple weeks since we first brought home samples!

Thanks so much for that info....I was assuming the exact opposite, that ordering through the store would be less of a hassle. We definitely want to be able to return the excess!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My local flooring store sells this. I would compare offerings not at HD. I just don’t think much of their staff (too pushy and not great quality control on sub contractors if you want them installed). See what options you have locally OR check somewhere like build.com, wayfair or overstock too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

We went to see the “parade of homes” a few weekends ago in our area. I was flat out shocked at how many higher end homes had LVPand laminate flooring. We seriously looked at houses up to $1.5m and not a single one had genuine wood floors. Not even engineered wood! Our first floor is about 50/50 carpet and hardwood. The carpet is too old and I have been wanting to rip it all out and go all wood on first floor, up the stairs and in upstairs hallway but our wood is ugly and dated (orangey honey oak narrow plank) and even just piecing in and restaining the main floor would be a fortune but I’ve hesitated ripping out solid wood to put in essentially a plastic floor. I’ve worried about resale value and it looking cheap even if we stay forever. Seeing that homes costing 3x as much as mine are apparently using these products makes me feel a little better about them. I still don’t love how loud and clicky they are, nor how cold they are compared to real wood, but for the massive price difference and ability to get the look we want I’m considering it. (Even if it does kill a little piece of my soul to rip out wood for plastic...)
    Last edited by calebsmama03; 09-06-2019 at 11:19 PM.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So I will preface this by saying that I am clearly in the minority on this but I REALLY don't think these floors are a good idea. They look and feel like plastic to me. They don't look like wood for one moment to me. My SIL installed them in her house and she really loves them! The maintenance on them is supposed to be great. I can't get over the feeling that in x amount of years we will look back in horror that this was even a thing and I can't even imagine that the waste that it will create. I would be so happy to be proven wrong--to discover that they still look amazing decades later and have ended up creating very little waste or regret!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast