melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Road trip destination

We want to go somewhere warm(er) for spring break next year. Initially I wanted to go to the beach but for the end of March we would need to go to Florida or gulf coast to hopefully get warm water and warm sun. And since we are driving from Milwaukee (WI) and this is our first road trip I think driving for 18+ hours is asking a lot, even if we stop for a night.
    So now I am thinking we should just go somewhere warmer but probably less than 10 hrs from us. We want to relax and 1 activity a day (DD1 will only be able to handle 1 thing). And since she doesn’t do well with very crowded places I don’t want a huge city or a very popular destination. We like doing zoos, amusement parks (smaller ones), aquariums, some nature walks, but DD2 doesn’t like to walk.
    Is this wishful thinking for a spring break trip?
    Promoting inclusiveness from within the special needs community
    "Just Include Everybody"
    includestephanie.com
    Stephanie's Shirt Shop on Facebook and Instagram

Mom to
    DD1 7-3-05
    DD2 7-5-07
    DS1 3-23-10

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Warm within 10 hours sounds unrealistic. WarmER than Milwaukee is almost guaranteed if you head south. You could come here (St. Louis). We have an amazing zoo, a brand new aquarium, great botanical garden, museums, restaurants, the arch, etc. and not super crowded (unless perhaps your spring break coincides with local spring break...but based on my friend in Milwaukee, things are off from our schedule by a few weeks).
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Mammoth Cave, Nashville, Smoky Mountains, Branson?
    DS age 9

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Road trip destination

Indianapolis. Great zoo, museums, great cute downtown - walking distance restaurants and stores. Probably 5-6 hours from you.

We went there at end of March a few years back and it was enough warmer than Chicago to feel different. Boys wore fleece jackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We are in Michigan. New Orleans is one of our favorite spring break road trip destinations. It's surprisingly kid friendly and typically warm then. You can do a day trip to Ship Island and get your beach fix in (check ferry schedule - but they've always run when we're there on break.)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm about 3 hours south of you, if it's late March you really need to go as far as Georgia to get warm weather, and then you might as well go the extra 6 hours to the Gulf, like St. Petersburg/Sarasota. We stopped in Nashville in late March, it wasn't that warm yet, still no leaves on the trees etc. If you can, try driving to about Chattanooga, stop and do the rest the next day. I've driven 14 hrs straight on my own, so if you have 2 drivers it's not too bad. You can plan some stops along the way if you kids need a break, mine are happy to sleep and just get there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'm in the same boat! I want it warmer than Michigan, but I don't need beaches. Hoping to find some place we can go for a few days and have fun and have it be warmer than home.
    Kris

I booked an April 2020 cruise out of New Orleans last week. We live in Minneapolis and will drive to St. Louis and then to New Orleans to catch our 5 day cruise to Cozumel and Progreso. On the way back we'll drive to Memphis and then home.

Our cruise through Carnival is $1700 and will cover our food, entertainment and lodging, plus get us somewhere warm which would be hard to do on a driving only vacation.

ETA - Sorry, I didn't read your OP very well to see that you're looking for something more low key! I think heading to TN and then maybe to Charleston/Savannah area would be fun.
    Last edited by roobee; 10-02-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    Warm within 10 hours sounds unrealistic. WarmER than Milwaukee is almost guaranteed if you head south. You could come here (St. Louis). We have an amazing zoo, a brand new aquarium, great botanical garden, museums, restaurants, the arch, etc. and not super crowded (unless perhaps your spring break coincides with local spring break...but based on my friend in Milwaukee, things are off from our schedule by a few weeks).
    And... City Museum.... which adds the 'amusement park' fun