Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    Thanks, all! Wow, there are some conflicting opinions here. DD1 likes both dresses so we said we'd wait until they arrive and just try everything on. The first mustard dress is from H&M and her second dress is Boden.

Essence: great photo! I love the umbrella and there may be a practical use for it, too, since it's often rainy there in late September.

I picked the navy floral dress for DD2 originally because it ties in our other colors too. Otherwise 3 of us are in blue and 1 in mustard. DD2's floral dress has navy background and mustard, coral, and off-white highlights. We don't plan to wear anything coral, so that would just be an extra color. FYI, it's navy, not black, fauve01. No one is wearing black.

Thanks for the necklace ideas, too, globetrotter and solsister. It's hard, as I never wear costume jewelry so I am struggling a bit here. I think the flower theme necklaces just aren't my style. Maybe a simple multi-strand bead necklace like this? Would this work with my dress' neckline?

Could you do a necklace in coral? I think it's too matchy to do the yellow. The cut works for your dress though. I love the flowered dress for dd2.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    Thanks, all! Wow, there are some conflicting opinions here. DD1 likes both dresses so we said we'd wait until they arrive and just try everything on. The first mustard dress is from H&M and her second dress is Boden.

Essence: great photo! I love the umbrella and there may be a practical use for it, too, since it's often rainy there in late September.

I picked the navy floral dress for DD2 originally because it ties in our other colors too. Otherwise 3 of us are in blue and 1 in mustard. DD2's floral dress has navy background and mustard, coral, and off-white highlights. We don't plan to wear anything coral, so that would just be an extra color. FYI, it's navy, not black, fauve01. No one is wearing black.

Thanks for the necklace ideas, too, globetrotter and solsister. It's hard, as I never wear costume jewelry so I am struggling a bit here. I think the flower theme necklaces just aren't my style. Maybe a simple multi-strand bead necklace like this? Would this work with my dress' neckline?

I love that necklace with the navy dress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Could you do a necklace in coral? I think it's too matchy to do the yellow. The cut works for your dress though. I love the flowered dress for dd2.
    Agree. The single color pop looks great for large group pictures, but I do not care for it in family of 4 and less, but that is total preference. The necklace will look great with the dress. Another option for DD2 dress would be one with predominant deep teal or plum which I personally like with mustard and navy, but that might not be the tone you want. It's going to be great with any of your choices. I love your dress.

I tend to like a more matchy-matchy look, so I might stick with this necklace. I found the old threads I did for past photo shoots and you can see those are pretty matchy-matchy, too. I forgot to post photos for 2 of the years, but these threads both show photos (with faces blurred out):

https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sh...family-photos!

https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sh...99#post4271399

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you can, I'd see if you can find a dress with maybe just navy and white for your younger DD, there is something a little too busy about the floral one. You could also bring along a denim jacket for one of the girls/or a navy cardigan for over the yellow dress (the first one is so pretty and I am not a yellow person at all).

Cute yellow necklace!
    I think a big, gold chunky necklace would work, as well, if you want something a little more subtle.
    I think the floral really ties it all together, and is not too busy.
    Here's a little quote from a photographer-

Patterns-Don’t be scared of patterns and prints! They can work great in moderation. Try one statement piece (for instance, a colorful floral dress for mom) and one subtle pattern (maybe tiny polka dots for baby girl), and then keep the rest of the family more simple.
    I think you have that covered with the floral and the subtle mustard polka dot. Im really thinking some gold hoops and a gold chunky necklace might work great for your dress.
    https://poshmark.com/listing/Stella-...CABEgL8TvD_BwE

https://poshmark.com/listing/J-CREW-...yABEgKCqPD_BwE

https://poshmark.com/listing/J-Crew-...iABEgLb9vD_BwE

Update: So DD1's top choice, the Boden mustard dress with white polka dots, was TERRIBLE quality. It was very thin and nearly see-through, was not "double-faced" (so the underside of the ruffle looked like a faded version of the opposite side), and too long. I was shocked that such an expensive dress was the same quality as DD2's $20 Amazon floral dress. DD1's second choice chiffon H&M mustard dress hasn't even been shipped yet (despite ordering it a week ago) so I don't think it will show up in time. Sigh.

I ended up buying DD1 two yellow/mustard dresses off Amazon (they look brighter yellow than she'd like but we're short on time). These should show up before we fly out later this week:

mustard sheath.jpg

ruffled chiffon.jpg

I also decided to go with BBB advice and bought a coral beaded necklace and cute coral wedges so I will pick up the coral in DD2's floral dress and not be so matchy-matchy with DD1. I'll try to post a photo after the shoot to share (with faces blurred out).

Thanks again for being such great fashion stylists!

We had a FANTASTIC trip to Tokyo and, as promised, I'm posting a photo! Note a few surprises:

1) The navy blue Boden dress I had ordered and planned to wear was HORRIBLE quality. I was so shocked when I opened the package. It felt like a $10 dress from Walmart (meaning I could scrunch the entire thing in one hand and it was scratchy and rough fabric). It was practically transparent since so much light filtered through. I returned it and wore an older navy Boden wrap dress. It's not what I wanted to wear at all (as I wear a tank underneath given the neckline issue) but I didn't have time to order anything else.

2) My coral wedges and DD1's mustard wedges didn't show up until a day or two after we left for the airport (so much for the estimated 2 day shipping time!). So not only are we not wearing the dresses we planned, but we had to wear shoes we had on-hand.

This isn't my favorite photo, but it shows the outfits off. DD1 felt a little self-conscious wearing such a bright color as Japanese women wear a far more muted palette (lots of grey, white, black, and brown!).

BBB version.jpg

Overall, I was happy with the Flytographer we booked. For past trips, I'd spend far too much time googling photographers and going through their portfolios but Flytographer made it so easy. Not only was it reasonably priced, but we got our photos before we even left Japan! I think it was the fastest turnaround we've ever had (usually it takes a few weeks!). I recommend the service and plan to use it for our next vacation, too. Note that I'm not sharing my affiliate link per Board rules but if you find a travel blogger's affiliate link, you can save $25 off your first booking.

Great picture! I love it!
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Very cute! Hope you had a great time!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast